Found Pit Mix in South Florida

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Found Pit Mix in South Florida

Postby LetaGrlShowU » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:20 pm

A friend of mine found a pit mix roaming through a really good part of town. She has two dogs at home, so the mutt is staying at her barn. I am helping her look for a new home, or maybe by word of mouth, the original owners. She looks young but who knows?? Image

The person who found her will deliver within south florida, please anyone in this area, get the word out. She said she is very sweet and playful. Looks to be a little underweight.
LetaGrlShowU
Newborn Bully

Re: Found Pit Mix in South Florida

Postby LetaGrlShowU » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:37 am

anyone know of a good rescue in the area? i cant iamgine taking her to the shelter.
LetaGrlShowU
Newborn Bully

Postby heartbullies » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:09 pm

Get her scanned for a chip, and put up some vague posters ("40 pound female dog found, friendly" etc. and if someone can describe her or show you cell phone photos, etc. then you know you've got the real owner) . Notify your local shelter that you have her (file a "found dog" report) so that if someone is checking the shelter and looking for their dog they at least have some chance at getting reunited.

If my dog was loose and picked up I would actually hope he got brought to the shelter-- he's microchipped and they always scan them, and also that's the easiest and first place I would look for him.

If you at least scan her for a chip, file a found dog report, and put up some posters, then you have made some reasonable attempt at reuniting her with her owner, and if nobody claims her after the set time frame (it's usually 30 days in most jurisdictions) then the dog will legally become your property and you can rehome her, give her away, etc. Please make sure she's spayed and microchipped to you before you pass her along to someone; in the future if she gets out at least you will be notified via the microchip and can save her little furry butt again.
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby julie64 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:38 pm

I agree with taking her to the shelter. We had a dog find us Sun morning. I called AC and agreed to keep her overnight. I took her to be scanned, no chip. No reponses to any of my lost dog ads. AC picked her up monday morning and she wasn't at the shelter for 1/2 hour before her owners were there looking for her. They had been out looking all weekend for her. Not everyone has the internet, so they don't see lost dog postings. This dog also lived about 5 miles from me, so the owners weren't even looking for her in my area.

Good luck, she looks like a sweetie.
julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:09 pm

What a pretty girl. I hope you can find her owners and/or a new home.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Melody » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:17 pm

Hey, it's Melody (Ethical Bully Breed Rescue) I'm working on finding a foster home for this girl. Can you could post some posters and possibly list in the newspaper, to maybe help locate her owner? Hopefully I can find a foster in the area for her, so we can work on either finding her original owner or get her adopted into a good home. I have two new dogs coming in next week, and already beyond full!!
Melody
Forum Junky

Postby LetaGrlShowU » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:38 pm

Hey Melody. Thanks again for all your efforts. Please excuse my rant, but i have gotten 4 seperate responses on craigslist and all ahve been completely ^%&% up! One woman lived at home with just herself , had a yard, but no money to care for a dog. The one guy said he had a family, an unaltered male pit, and a job. I proceeded with tleling him he could meet her with his other dog and if all goes well, I would take her to a vet of his choice and haveh er spayed, andh e could pick her up from there. He said he couldnt afford the $50 to spay her at the low cost whatever place. Then says he'll take whatever he can get. Then when i tell him dogs cost money, and I wouldnt adopt her out without being spayed he tells me he was looking for a friend and "thanks for making my kid cry". Then later that night says "did you find anyone to take her, i got $50". Then today two more responses, one who couldnt afford routine care. The other says ' i can afford care abd own one other pit, but would prefer her not spayed" I responded simply with "I wouldnt not adopt her out without being spayed, in addtion I hope you rethink your outlook. A) who would breed a dog with unknown background and b) please dont contribute to the over population of a breed that is hard enough to re-home as it is. UGH!! I hate ppl! :fire:
LetaGrlShowU
Newborn Bully

Postby LetaGrlShowU » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:59 pm

OMG, even worse, I found out the Owner is known. Its my friends neighbors, daughters, boyfriend's. He threw the dog out on the streets, shes barely 30 lbs. So no need to see if her owner is looking for her at the shelter. :po:
LetaGrlShowU
Newborn Bully

Postby Ilovethepits » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:28 pm

Well I think you and Melody will be able to find something much better for her. If they don't already know don't even tell them you have her though, you never know how people are going to react when someone has something that was theirs, even if they threw it away. He'll probably figure you owe him money.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby LetaGrlShowU » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:07 am

He definitely knows, And if something like that came up, I'd report him for animal abuse and neglect. He's lucky I'm not oging to as it is because my only goal is to find her a good, loving home.
LetaGrlShowU
Newborn Bully

Postby Ilovethepits » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:43 am

Cool. Did you name her yet?
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby LetaGrlShowU » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:03 pm

No. I've been doing this all behind the scenes. I havent even met her. She staying at my friends barn. And i was just informed she will be giving her until the end of the weekend before taking her to the shelter. I have one person looking for their cousin to adopt her, I just dont want her to end up dead. It'll be on my conscience forever.
LetaGrlShowU
Newborn Bully

Postby Ilovethepits » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:10 pm

Sending good vibes that you or Melody can find her a foster or adoptive home.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby LetaGrlShowU » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:24 pm

Melody, you can halt all attempts for a foster home. I dont know full circumstances, but the dog was not anywhere to be found at the barn today. I dont know if she was inside, chained, loose... but i got a text at 7 am saying the dog was gone, either left or stolen . Im thankful foor all good vibes and hopes, but i dont get a good feeling of how this has all gone down, and im going to relinquish my duties in helping.
LetaGrlShowU
Newborn Bully

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs