How many dogs???

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

How many dogs???

Postby RoxieRules » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:45 am

I live in a pretty small townhouse. Just me and Roxie. But i seriously want to rescue another dog.

How many dogs do you all have and how much space? Rox sleeps in the bed with me - could I really have TWO dogs sleeping in bed with me?

Your stories, help, insight would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RoxieRules
Newborn Bully

Re: How many dogs???

Postby Melody » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:51 am

I have a full size bed, and sleep with three dogs (67 lb pit bull, 75 lb American bulldog, 20 lb shiba inu) and two cats. So yes, two dogs in the bed is very possible!! :))

Just make sure you are giving each dog proper exercise. They should have some stimulating toys while they are inside - stuffed Kong, Buster cube, Jug A Lug (or is it Lug A Jug?), etc...to keep 'em busy!
Melody
Forum Junky

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:52 pm

We have 9 dogs(6 dachshunds, a pug, a American Bully and a Great Pyrenees/lab mix) and we live on 32 acres out in the country. We have a little more than half an acre fenced in for our dogs. Our house is kind of small. One of our dogs does not get along with the rest of them so, we do "crate and rotate" but different.

If you are ready for twice the exercise, money spent, time spent with them than I would consider getting another dog. Also, I would consider getting an adult male dog since you have a female. That way since your dog is 2 years old, you will have a better chance of them getting along in the future.
Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby satanscheerleader » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:58 pm

I had two dogs in a one bedroom apartment. It was fine as they aren't overly barky, it was well insulated to keep any possible ''dog noise'' in check and I walked them ALOT.
satanscheerleader
Addicted to PBF

Postby bigbadbully » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:51 pm

I have 1 dog in a single family home, so I can't exactly help you out, but instead of outright adopting, why don't you look into fostering to see how you do with a second dog?
bigbadbully
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby RoxieRules » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:49 pm

Ok, good to know. IF I bring another dog into the house with me and Rox, I'm sure we can make it work. ACK then I have to worry if/when I start seeing a guy again!

Can 2 dogs and 2 humans share one bed????? LOL

:)
RoxieRules
Newborn Bully

Postby Melody » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:01 pm

RoxieRules wrote:Ok, good to know. IF I bring another dog into the house with me and Rox, I'm sure we can make it work. ACK then I have to worry if/when I start seeing a guy again!

Can 2 dogs and 2 humans share one bed????? LOL

:)

Might be in your best interest to upgrade to a king size bed. lol
Melody
Forum Junky

Postby ilovetyson » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:33 pm

Well, We have 6 dogs and 3 cats.. 3 humans in 1000sq ft. LOL And it is a bit much! But, None sleep with me. LOL A friend of mine had 4 large dogs and her in a King size bed Comfy like! :) So I think youll be fine LOL
ilovetyson
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby karladaune » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:11 pm

On most nights, there are 2 (ahem...big) humans plus 2 pit bulls (one 70 lb - and either a 45 lb'er or a 75 lb'er, depending on whose night it is) plus one pug in our bed. There are also two crates in the room...one housing whichever female pit is crated for the night, the other with the foster pup. (three cats inhabit two other rooms in the house as well.)

Our backyard is about 1/3 of an acre, but it really only houses Lily and Ralph (my other two who refuse to come in the house) - the house dogs only go out to potty. I'm lucky, though...my crew (except for monster foster puppy) is VERY VERY VERY low energy. We were a house of couch potatoes until puppy arrived! lol

In MY opinion, two dogs in a townhouse is TOTALLY doable, but then again I have had a multidog house for almost my entire life, so I might be a bit biased.
karladaune
Bully Ambassador

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:23 pm

We have just over a quarter acre and a 1400 square foot house. We have (now) three dogs and two cats. One dog is a foster. We don't ever have all three dogs in the bed, but definitely two and almost always two cats. It can be done, absolutely. It's just up to you as to how much you can afford time and money wise. If so, I second the idea of fostering. That way you can get a feel for it, but if it's not for you and the dog gets adopted you won't be heart broken. First, if it's not something you already do, I'd suggest volunteering at a shelter. They definitely need the help and that may be enough for you to be satisfied.

As long as you aren't getting a second dog as a "friend" to your first, so they can tire each other out. Which they may, but you can't rely on it. And also as long as you're aware that some where down the road you may need to keep these two dogs separated always and are okay with that. I don't see the problem.

We adopted Trooper because we finally had our own house and I felt like we could help another Pit Bull out. We had the time, space and resources. And then once we felt like we had that (and the two cats) under control I wanted to do more and volunteering wasn't enough anymore we decided to try our hand at fostering.

Are there any restrictions where you live? Number of animals, weight or breed limits?
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby Ilovethepits » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:27 pm

I have a queen-sized bed and when I had a boyfriend we slept with a 32 lb dog, a 64 lb dog and 3 cats. He called it synchronized sleeping (because everyone had their "place") and he didn't leave because of the animals.

I agree that fostering might help you make the decision. It is a lot different having 2 dogs than having only one.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby knitter4years » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:27 pm

RoxieRules wrote:I live in a pretty small townhouse. Just me and Roxie. But i seriously want to rescue another dog.

How many dogs do you all have and how much space? Rox sleeps in the bed with me - could I really have TWO dogs sleeping in bed with me?

Your stories, help, insight would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It gets too crowded for me with my husband and the two pitties we have. You'll have to figure out if you are comfortable with 2 dogs in your bed.

We have 4 dogs, two pitties and two little dogs. They sleep in their own beds, but the 2 little ones' beds are crates, as they tend to leave early morning puddles or poos too often. I applaud your desire to rescue another dog, but you should maintain your right to be comfortable in your own bed. You pay for the roof over their heads and feed them, and it's all up to you. If you get another dogs, I would love to see a picture of the lucky pup.
knitter4years
Adolescent Bully

Re: How many dogs??? & fostering

Postby RoxieRules » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:40 pm

Holy cow! I am amazed at how many of you have multiple pets! A lot of them sleeping with you to! As far as fostering, good idea but i'm totally afraid that i'll get attached and will never, ever be able to give the doggie back. I wonder how many people can actually do that? seems impossible to me.
RoxieRules
Newborn Bully

Postby Adrianne » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:48 pm

Fostering isn't for everyone. It's worth checking out though for sure. :)

I currently have 3 of my own and a roommates dog in a 4 bedroom home with a size-able yard.

I have in the past lived with 7 dogs(4 fosters, 3 keepers) in a small 3 bedroom home with a small yard. It's a lot of work but much easier when you know how to exercise the dogs in small spaces.

I recommend you talk to a local rescue and inquire about fostering a potential new family member, some shelters love the idea of trial homes, it helps the dogs as well.
Adrianne
Regulator

Postby knitter4years » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:50 pm

Adrianne wrote:Fostering isn't for everyone. It's worth checking out though for sure. :)

I currently have 3 of my own and a roommates dog in a 4 bedroom home with a size-able yard.

I have in the past lived with 7 dogs(4 fosters, 3 keepers) in a small 3 bedroom home with a small yard. It's a lot of work but much easier when you know how to exercise the dogs in small spaces.

I recommend you talk to a local rescue and inquire about fostering a potential new family member, some shelters love the idea of trial homes, it helps the dogs as well.

What ideas do you have for exercising dogs in little spaces? I'm blessed with plenty of outdoor dog friendly places, but there's always different circumstances that happen. I could use your help on this matter.
knitter4years
Adolescent Bully

Next

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs