How many dogs???

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Re: How many dogs???

Postby Adrianne » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:15 pm

I have used spring poles, flirt poles, treadmills, fetch up and down stairs, and furniture agility. We also have a pool at both houses which is beneficial for dogs who enjoy pools and those who don't. I have used a harness and cross leads across the pool or a pole lead and walk(swim) the dog around the pool.
Adrianne
Regulator

Re: How many dogs??? & fostering

Postby knitter4years » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:54 pm

RoxieRules wrote:Holy cow! I am amazed at how many of you have multiple pets! A lot of them sleeping with you to! As far as fostering, good idea but i'm totally afraid that i'll get attached and will never, ever be able to give the doggie back. I wonder how many people can actually do that? seems impossible to me.

As a foster owner, I treat them in a similar way emotionally as I do my children, I must do everything I can in the wisdome I have concerning them, and that they are meant to grow up, live with others, but they'll always be mine too. I have relationships with the foster dogs I've had too.

Also, what has made letting go so easy, is that I know the other dogs in the shelter who need our help so badly. They languish in shelters and getting to our home is doggy heaven. As soon as we get our foster adopted, we start anew with our new one. I can't wait to meet my next dog, and I'm in no hurry to lose our foster dog. She's part of our family.
knitter4years
Adolescent Bully

Postby knitter4years » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:01 am

Adrianne wrote:I have used spring poles, flirt poles, treadmills, fetch up and down stairs, and furniture agility. We also have a pool at both houses which is beneficial for dogs who enjoy pools and those who don't. I have used a harness and cross leads across the pool or a pole lead and walk(swim) the dog around the pool.

Having a pool is not a small place exercising, it's the bomb. My dogs love the water and all swim really well. They'd love to have a pool. We are blessed to have creeks nearby. My dachshund swims amazingly well too by the way. Shocked us the first time he jumped in. His tail is straight up and wagging when he swims. It's cute I tell you.

I'd really like to have a treadmill. Something for the future. Someday, hopefully. You have a wonderful set up for the dogs.
knitter4years
Adolescent Bully

Postby Adrianne » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:19 am

Best time to buy second hand treadmills is about a month after nye when everyones ny resolution has been given up :oops:
Adrianne
Regulator

Postby knitter4years » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:51 am

Adrianne wrote:Best time to buy second hand treadmills is about a month after nye when everyones ny resolution has been given up :oops:

I'm laughing out loud. I'll keep an eye out! : ) Still cracking up.
knitter4years
Adolescent Bully

Postby RoxieRules » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:35 am

knitter4years wrote:
Adrianne wrote:Fostering isn't for everyone. It's worth checking out though for sure. :)

I currently have 3 of my own and a roommates dog in a 4 bedroom home with a size-able yard.

I have in the past lived with 7 dogs(4 fosters, 3 keepers) in a small 3 bedroom home with a small yard. It's a lot of work but much easier when you know how to exercise the dogs in small spaces.

I recommend you talk to a local rescue and inquire about fostering a potential new family member, some shelters love the idea of trial homes, it helps the dogs as well.

What ideas do you have for exercising dogs in little spaces? I'm blessed with plenty of outdoor dog friendly places, but there's always different circumstances that happen. I could use your help on this matter.

My yard is very small (townhouse) so I take Rox to a nearby school and let her run like crazy on the field. Luckily she is a good girl and doesn't run off. But she does need this daily exercise even when its 2 degrees outside like now!!!!!!!
RoxieRules
Newborn Bully

Previous

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs