Pitbull Rescue in Mass NEEDED ASAP... EXTREMELY IMPORTANT..

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Pitbull Rescue in Mass NEEDED ASAP... EXTREMELY IMPORTANT..

Postby Madmickeelmom » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:02 am

I am a trainer at a shelter. We had a dog that I worked with for 3 months returned for a bite attack. She was only in her new home for a couple of days and they had people over for the Christmas and had her loose in the house. They also let their friend bring their dog. This Pit was adopted into a home that already had a dog and she did fine with their dog. We think it was so much for her that she was scared and reacted to all the stimulation.

The dog I worked with was loving, loyal, eager to learn, excited but would settle when given the command to settle, she had no problems walking or being around other dogs when she went to the park with other shelter dogs (paws in the park program). We are all shocked to see her return and hear what happened.

I know this dog and I dont see her as a vicious dog. I think she actted out due to her being afraid. SHE deserves a 2nd chance. I feel the staff didnt do their job explaining how to introduce a dog to the new home and how to go slow in introducing the dog to other people and animals.

I am looking for a shelter that is willing to give this little girl a chance at life. I will FIGHT to the end to get her to a safe haven. If she is put down I will be with her. I strongly feel like she was let down enough in her life. I am the one person that invested time with her and built a relationship with her. SHe shoudl have someone wiht her that loves her.

If any one could help me I woudl really appreciate it. SHe is a sweet dog that just needs a slow movign home.

Sarah
Madmickeelmom
Newborn Bully

Re: Pitbull Rescue in Mass NEEDED ASAP... EXTREMELY IMPORTANT..

Postby Red » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:14 am

Hi Sarah. I think your friend posted in general and if that is the same dog it was mentioned that she bit a person. That is pretty much a death sentence for a pit bull.Do you have details on the "bite"? Was it an actual bite or that was an added made up excuse to return the dog? Was medical care necessary? This is something you need to find out because to pull, adopt out or release a dog with a bite history can be a liability, especially if the dog ends up in clueless hands. If this bite did not actually happen the way it might have been described what you can do as a trainer is to write a formal assessment on the dog, based on your experience with her and your knowledge of dog behavior, and give it to the shelter manager. It can't be something like "the dog was nice to me" but a credible statement that clearly says you know what you are talking about. Keep in mind though, that if you vouch for a dog to be adoptable, you must make sure there are no red flags that make an adoption unsafe for someone. I am not talking about dog to dog aggression but other behaviors.
Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:13 pm

the only reputable rescue in the MASS area is pittielove ,and they will not take a dog that has bitten a human.. no reputable rescues will take a dog that has bitten a human up here. and if the dog bit another dog, depending on the severity of the bite most reputable rescues will be iffy on that too
Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:54 pm

Braveheart is also in Ma but I doubt they would take a dog with a bite history and I'm being specific to a people bite. Now a reputable pit bull rescue may have lots of questions about a dog on dog bite and may choose not to rescue a dog that has killed another dog - they may make exceptions for biting another dog. I would make exceptions for poor management and same sex altercations but I would not take in a people aggressive dog or a fight crazy dog.

We should consider proper temperament and breed disposition. Human aggression is not acceptable but dog on dog aggression is not unexpected.
Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:11 pm

oh i forgot about Brave Heart.. thanks amy . yes dog bite to dog ok to a degree as long as the dog didnt kill the other dog, dog bite to human not acceptable.
Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs