Shelter closed, these guys need help

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Shelter closed, these guys need help

Postby merriterrier » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:34 pm

Our shelter was over thrown (long grizzly story) and we ended up having to find emergency housing for several Pit Bulls and mixes.

Here are (almost) all of the Pit Bulls and Pit mixes we have. I have personally temperament tested each of them, and know them well. If you have any questions you can ask them here, pm me, or email: merriterrier@animail.net.

Harley

Harley is an approx 2-3yr American Bulldog/Pit Bull mix bred as a "Colorado Bulldog." Harley came into the shelter skin and bones, one of several Colorado Bulldogs that trickled into the shelter and pound after a local "breeder" went to jail and forgot to have someone care for his dogs. Harley is very well mannered, hasn't had an accident in the house yet, rides well in the car, and walks fabulously on a loose leash. Harley is very sweet and gentle with kids and loves everyone he meets. He is a giant lap dog who loves to snuggle. Harley is easy going and a dream in the house. Harley is good with dog savvy confidant cats, but I am pretty sure he would chase a running cat. Harley likes other dogs (especially the ladies), but he can be too rough in his play, and he is also a chronic humper of male dogs. He also seems to be somewhat selective with male dogs, but can control himself on leash, or with a verbal warning. Harley is good with small dogs and, though he can get wild, he is actually pretty gentle with the little guys. True to his Bulldog background Harley is protective of the house and yard. He will put on a pretty scary show, but is all kisses once the visitor is let into the house and Harley is given the OK. He can be a little hard headed, but he is easy to work with through consistency, and follow up. Harley would make an easy pet for someone with some power breed experience, or a good starter dog for someone who has done their research and is committed to training, solid ownership, and proper management. Harley is neutered and UTD on shots.

Joe

Joe is a sweet 8-9mo neutered male Pit Bull. Joe is a super little guy, good with everything: dogs, cats, kids... He is on the smaller side weighing 45lbs, and needing to loose a couple (he has porked out a bit at the shelter). Joe is mostly housebroken and has been working on basic obedience. He has been wonderfully socialized and is a generally easy dog of moderate energy. Joe is willing and eager to work with people. Joe would be a nice starter Pit Bull or good second dog (due to his young age we would prefer opposite sex placement). Joe is UTD on vaccs.

Lydia

Lydia is still up for adoption. She is about 16mo, UTD and spayed. She is a very nice sweet dog, she is a little soft (ie she gets her feelings hurt if you raise your voice). She is a quick learner and a fun active dog. Lydia is housebroken and crate trained, and well behaved in the house. She rides well in the car, and does well off leash when we take her to run on BLM, she has a pretty good recall. Lydia is good with all people and kids and does well with other dogs, though she can be a bit reactive on leash with barking dogs. I would not place her in a home with cats or small animals since she has a high preydrive. Lydia LOVES to run! She could run all day long. She is a mellow and easygoing dog as long as she gets exercise. Lydia would love a running or biking partner.

Charlie

Charlie is an Awesome ???? the breed most people see first is Pit Bull (since he does have a rather large head compared to his body), and then Catahoula (sp) b/c of his color, we also hear whippet... Since so many people see "Pit Bull" they are scared away, or else he is not Pit Bull enough. Charlie is personality PLUS! This guy is a total lover with EVERYONE who does a super happy ballerina dance every single time he sees you. He is a high energy guy who is smart as a whip and quick to learn. Charlie has very nice toy/tug/ball drive. Did I mention Charlie is super good with other dogs? He is good with kids, but being a fairly tall active guy he would probably be best suited to a home with kids he can't accidentally knock down.

Juno

Juno is a deaf 9mo Pit Bull/ best guess- probably something hairy mix. He is a very nice guy, loves all people, great with other dogs, good (if not a little overly friendly)with cats. Juno is house broken, crate trained, and knows how to use a dog door. He knows several hand signals: sit, stay, come, down, wait, off, no, yes, and crate. Juno walks well on a leash, and is well behaved in the house. Juno is neutered, and UTD on vaccs.

Thanks for looking.
merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Re: Shelter closed, these guys need help

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:45 pm

Where are these kiddos, and are they in fosters or do they need somewhere to go ASAP??
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:26 pm

OMG! Juno could be Ghost's (the one you sent to me) littermate! She's ~1 yr old now but I don't have any recent pics of her.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=112260
RuffMuttK9z

Postby Libby » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:42 pm

RuffMuttK9z wrote:OMG! Juno could be Ghost's (the one you sent to me) littermate! She's ~1 yr old now but I don't have any recent pics of her.

I was thinking the exact same thing!
Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:53 am

These guys all have somewhere to stay temporarily. Some of them have pushed our foster homes over their legal limit of dogs, so we are trying to move them ASAP. Our remaining shelter is at capacity and can't take anymore. Unfortunately the shelter that closed was filled with Pit Bulls and Pit Bull mixes. :sad:
We are located in southern Colorado.

Libby wrote:
RuffMuttK9z wrote:OMG! Juno could be Ghost's (the one you sent to me) littermate! She's ~1 yr old now but I don't have any recent pics of her.

I was thinking the exact same thing!

I never thought of that, but he does!
merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby karladaune » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:47 pm

wow...he looks JUST like Ghost!! I actually had to doublecheck the date on this thread! lol

I love Beautiful Joe - I really wish I was in a position to help, but we havent hit the lotto, so no ranch in my immediate future.
karladaune
Bully Ambassador

Postby merriterrier » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:33 pm

lol yeah, no lotto, no ranch, my problem too. lol
merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:27 pm

Joe and Charlie are needing somewhere to go ASAP. Both are really awesome guys.
merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby karladaune » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:44 am

I love Joe...I wish I had room, but I am way over my limit as it is :-(
karladaune
Bully Ambassador

Postby ProudMommy77 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:53 am

if anyone is interested but would need a dog shipped, I would be willing to help with the cost of a flight to a forever home.
ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:59 pm

If Joe gets in a tough spot where he has nowhere to go, I got permission from my fiance' to take him. He's the look, age, and energy level we've been looking for.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:15 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:If Joe gets in a tough spot where he has nowhere to go, I got permission from my fiance' to take him. He's the look, age, and energy level we've been looking for.

Oh, I think he is a tough enough spot! ;)
Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Victoria » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:10 pm

Lydia is gorgeous!! :inlove: I wonder if there is any way we could help....
Victoria
Matured Bully

Postby merriterrier » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:53 pm

Joe is a terrific guy! He is an easy guy to get along with, generally well behaved (he is 9mo though). Plus he gets along well with everything. He needs more training as he has really only been worked on the basics in the shelter setting, but he is doing well. His ex-foster mom said he assimilated quickly into her house and got along well with her pack. I can get more pics of him this weekend.

Lydia is Awesome! She reminds me of Cleopatra b/c she has dark eyeshadow all around her eyes that is up swept on the outer edges. She has that total babe/badass thing going on. lol
merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:50 pm

Libby wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:If Joe gets in a tough spot where he has nowhere to go, I got permission from my fiance' to take him. He's the look, age, and energy level we've been looking for.

Oh, I think he is a tough enough spot! ;)

and he is gorgeous and sounds lovely.... that would be so wonderful.
Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Next

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs