Miami, FL - I'm Hiding a Beautiful Stray from the Law.

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Miami, FL - I'm Hiding a Beautiful Stray from the Law.

Postby abalinka » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:47 am

First off, allow me to say that she is such a great dog, and I would keep her in a heartbeat if she wasn't illegal to own.

The vet says that she is about 2-3 years old, and is as sweet as they come. We found her wandering around our neighborhood next to a busy road on Monday around lunchtime, and took her in. Nobody has claimed her, but I'm not really expecting anyone to come forward. Pitbulls are notorious for having bad owners in my neck of the woods, so I doubt someone cares enough to look for her.

She's pretty skinny, but muscular. It looks like she may have given birth not too long ago. We had her dewormed as a precaution, but we haven't had her tested for heartworms nor have we gotten her any shots yet ... just in case someone claimed her. If nobody comes forward tomorrow, I'm going to take her to our vet for her shots, to have her tested for heartworms, and to schedule a spay.

Pitbulls are illegal in Miami-Dade County, so I'm kinda harboring a fugitive here. Her owner has not come forward yet, so, due to the urgency of the matter caused by the legality of it all, I am going to have to try and find her a forever home pretty shortly. I don't want to adopt her to a home that couldn't handle her, although she's not much to take care of. She's quiet, obedient, very people-friendly, playful, and just wants nothing but to be loved.

Here's the kicker: My neighbor is an animal control officer. I've been sneaking her out on walks whenever he's not home. Since we do not own her, we have no legal rights to her. If they find her, she is considered a stray and will be euthanized within 5 days of being caught.

So, she's people-friendly, not shy, loves car rides and belly rubs, obedient, crate-trained, and seems to pick up on commands quickly --she learned "sit" in 2 minutes. I haven't tested her out around my 3 huskies yet, so I don't know if she's dog-friendly or not. At the vet she seemed happy to see all of the other dogs, but none were within close proximity. She hates cats, but is being cool around my bird.

Here are my questions: Is she a good candidate for adoption? Are there any other things I should test her with before I adopt her out?

Once it gets to the point where I feel she is ready to leave, I want to find her the perfect home. I am willing to drive pretty much anywhere for her, and it will obviously have to be away from Miami. My Fiance and I are prepared to do whatever it takes to make sure that she gets the loving home that she deserves.

Are there any pitbull rescue organizations still operating in South Florida that could help me search for a forever home? Maybe I could bring her to a rescue to have her evaluated before they feel comfortable to list her for adoption?

I am completely new to pitbulls, so I don't know what to check for.

These pictures are from Monday. That scratch on her nose looks worse than it is. It's a pretty small scratch and is healing up very nicely.

For comparison: She's pretty small. I'm 5'2", and she's below my knee. My huskies are a couple inches above my knee.

I will get better pictures as she feels more comfortable, and take a video of her playing so people can see that she's not all business, lol.

EDIT: She is not chipped, nor was she wearing a collar. I have posted "FOUND" notices everywhere I could think of. They are all over my neighborhood, all of my local vets, petfinder.com, craigslist, another random pet site that I can't remember the name of ... I've taken out an ad in both of my local newspapers, and I've even tried Facebook (longshot, I know). I called all of the animal shelters and the humane society to let them know that I found a dog and described the dog to them just in case someone calls looking for her. No luck.
Last edited by abalinka on Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
abalinka
Newborn Bully

Re: Miami, FL - I'm Hiding a Beautiful Stray from the Law.

Postby suzi » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:57 am

Can you get her into a vet to see if she's chipped?
suzi
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby abalinka » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:04 am

Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot to mention that. I took her to two different vets just to make sure. She is not chipped, and was wearing no collar when I found her.
abalinka
Newborn Bully

Postby Ilovethepits » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:44 am

Try contacting http://pitstopbullys.com/default.aspx

Or PM SugarFox03 a member here - she's in WPB.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby abalinka » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:25 pm

Thank you, I sent an e-mail to that rescue group, and will contact SugarFox shortly.
abalinka
Newborn Bully

Postby Ilovethepits » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:34 pm

I'm afraid since you posted FOUND posters everywhere AC will find out you have her. She's a real pretty girl. I hope you can get her out of Miami/Dade toot sweet!
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby bellabear » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:05 pm

Oh wow, why did I decied to come on here today? She is so beautiful, I wish I knew somebody down here who wanted a dog, I will definately keep my ears open, and I wish you luck. I hate the laws in Miami and I wish Homestead could be considered Monroe County :sad: I wonder where all her pups are, its so sad, they will probably be next to be confiscated and pts, I hate BSL! Keep us up to date on her, and if I could I would take her in a heartbeat, but I already have my limit at two.
bellabear
Forum Junky

Postby Adrianne » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:20 pm

good luck!
Adrianne
Regulator

Postby HollyJoy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:35 pm

Ilovethepits wrote:I'm afraid since you posted FOUND posters everywhere AC will find out you have her. She's a real pretty girl. I hope you can get her out of Miami/Dade toot sweet!

Eh, if you don't post pictures or mention the breed, just say medium red & white dog, female, not spayed. Posting pictures would definitely be a bad idea tho.
HollyJoy
Super Bully

Postby abalinka » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:49 pm

Well, it looks like this will ease up the tension for now: http://www.prlog.org/10201937-court-rul ... eable.html

I still cannot keep her, but at least there are tons of people down here against breed specific bans.
abalinka
Newborn Bully

Postby Ilovethepits » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:26 pm

I didn't know they couldn't confiscate them anymore. That is good news.

Here is Pit Bull Rescue Central's Florida list: http://pbrc.net/webapp/cgi-bin/orgs_by_ ... 95880af9fc

I have found a female like her before and was told they let them welp the pups and then take the pups away and just kick the female out because they don't want the pups socialized at all - they hand raise them to be fighters. But that could be an urban legend.

Sometimes I think they take the pups so young that the mommas maybe get loose looking for their pups, but I don't really know.

If you can read the "Two Weeks - Give Em A Break" sticky - that would explain why you can/should keep them separate from your resident dogs.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby dogs4jen » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:38 pm

Thanks for taking care of her, she's a real cutie.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby abalinka » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:34 pm

I got some more pictures of her today during my lunch break.

This is after 4 straight days of solid meals:

I'll be much happier when she has a little more weight on her, although I'm happy to see that her ribs aren't sticking out like they were when we found her.

And some smiles:

Her being goofy:
abalinka
Newborn Bully

Postby Adrianne » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:37 pm

Oh what a love she is! Any luck with the rescues yet?
Adrianne
Regulator

Postby Ilovethepits » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:43 pm

She looks BEAUTIFUL! She also looks very, very happy to be with you. I wish you great luck in finding a forever home that truly deserves her!
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Next

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs