Miami, FL - I'm Hiding a Beautiful Stray from the Law.

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Re: Miami, FL - I'm Hiding a Beautiful Stray from the Law.

Postby Melody » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:24 pm

I'm still working on it. Three events in a week and not a single dog adopted. :( Such bad timing for everyone.
Melody
Forum Junky

Postby abalinka » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:28 am

Okay, after several attempts, I think I have to accept that she just isn't dog-friendly. :sad:

She is just too hyper whenever she spots another dog. We've tried wearing her out to she would calm down, and although she seems calm, as soon as she sees another dog she just leaps up on her hind legs and won't stop barking and pulling (her tail is wagging the entire time, and her hair isn't standing up, so that kinda throws me off a bit). We've done the whole positive reinforcement thing for brief moments when she remains calm around another dog. We've taken her and my most well-behaved husky on walks together, but for the entire mile long walk, she just pulled and barked. We would stop and make her be calm before we started walking again, but as soon as she started moving again, the little devil in her came out. My husky definitely wasn't antagonizing her at all. He was acting like she wasn't even there.

We don't have the time she needs to train her properly, but I'm trying the best I can. Is it possible that she won't ever be able to be around other dogs, or do I just need to keep trying? Does anyone have any methods they've used to introduce dogs like her? I can't confirm that she is aggressive because she won't remain calm enough to be allowed near another dog. The closest she's been is about 2ft away sitting down, and this was after a very lonnngg evening of trial and error.
abalinka
Newborn Bully

Postby jamielvsaustin » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:43 am

abalinka wrote:We don't have the time she needs to train her properly, but I'm trying the best I can. Is it possible that she won't ever be able to be around other dogs, or do I just need to keep trying? Does anyone have any methods they've used to introduce dogs like her? I can't confirm that she is aggressive because she won't remain calm enough to be allowed near another dog. The closest she's been is about 2ft away sitting down, and this was after a very lonnngg evening of trial and error.

I think it's very possible that she may not ever be okay around dogs. And there's nothing wrong with that-as long as the person who has her is okay with dealing with it. I would encourage you to keep trying, just remember to be careful and not stress her out too much. Finding her threshold is important. What motivates her? If you find that what typically motivates her isn't working, then you've passed her threshold. Once you figure it out (and it may be different for each dog she comes in contact with) then work it little by little. Have the other dog off in the distance and keep her at her threshold feeding her treats. Then take a few steps towards the dog-treating...and then go back past the starting point into a more comfortable zone.

Typically on this site Tiva and Stormi are really good at giving play by plays of "how to"...as in how many feet to work her past her threshold...and how many times to do it. I'd look them up and PM them if you haven't already.

Good luck.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby Ilovethepits » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:25 am

If you have time check out www.dogmantics.com and/or search kikopup on YouTube. She has some good videos showing getting a dog used to other dogs and how far away and how she walks them toward the other dogs and such. I find it much easier to watch it than to read how to do it.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby abalinka » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:30 am

If anyone knows someone who wants a sweet girl, please let me know! We're desperately trying to find her a home, and we have had absolutely no luck.

All of the rescues and shelters that have actually called me back have no room. :(
abalinka
Newborn Bully

Postby abalinka » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:46 pm

***UPDATE!!!!***

Through one of the rescues that my lovely Fiance contacted, we found her original owner!!

Our homeless girl's real name is Fufi, and she's 5 years old. The original owner sent my fiance an e-mail this morning to confirm that the dog pictured was indeed her dog. This woman unknowingly inherited Fufi when she was 3 months old. Someone called and asked her to babysit the dog for a couple days, and never returned to pick up the dog, so she adopted the dog as one of her own, and treated her like gold. She was raised around a chihuahua, and was allowed to sleep in a nice warm human bed every night. (Quick anecdote: we introduced her to my brother's miniature daschund last night and she was pretty calm around him. I guess being raised with a chihuahua made her comfortable only around very small dogs, which explains her aggression toward any her size or larger). Her teeth were brushed daily, which explains her immaculate dental health and why the vet thought she was so young (guessing her age by her teeth).

Long story short, when Fufi was 2 years old, she attacked this lady's poodle, and nearly killed it. Deciding that Fufi wasn't a good candidate to be around other dogs, the woman adopted her out to what she thought was a responsible, loving home.

When we found Fufi she was seriously dirty, skinny, and had obviously recently whelped a litter of pups. My guess (as well as the vets) is that she has had at least 2 or 3 litters, if not more. It looks like the "responsible owners" who adopted her used her for pups, and left her out in the cold (literally, we found her during the big freeze here in FL), making zero attempt to find her.

The original owner was absolutely disgusted when we told her what condition the dog was in when we found her. Thankfully she has quite a list of contacts of dogless homes who would be willing to adopt, so, with her help and contacts, Fufi should be going to her forever home soon!!

I'm so excited, and, admittedly, a bit sad, that she'll be finding a home to love her. This is my first experience fostering a dog. It has been a bit disheartening, a touch frustrating, but overall incredibly rewarding. Foster/rescue dogs seem so appreciative of every little thing they are handed in life, and it makes you rethink the way that you live your own. Once some money things turn around, my fiance and I would both like to foster some animals in need again.
abalinka
Newborn Bully

Postby Ilovethepits » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:56 pm

Well, well.
She was a lucky girl to fall into your home.
I hope her new owners will agree to spay her and microchip her!
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby ilovetyson » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:16 pm

awww what good news! And a good story for this sad start!
ilovetyson
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:31 pm

Good news!

I also hope that the owner will spay her before adopting her out again. Although if she got along with her other dog I don't understand why she rehomed her :huh?:
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby abalinka » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:14 am

So, uhh ... :crybaby: The lady showed up on Saturday to look at her, and immediately knew that it wasn't her dog. Incredibly nice lady, though, and she's still going to help us as much as she can to find her a home.

I may have to look into one of the free/heavily discounted spayings that they offer at the shelters in the Keys. I wonder if they would be able to help me out.
abalinka
Newborn Bully

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:20 am

So sorry to hear this-what a bummer. I hope the clinic in the keys is willing to work with you. I wouldn't let that girl go to anyone until she was fixed. Don't want that happening to her again.

And I totally understand about how you felt about being happy and sad at the same time. We have a foster, and we thought we found the right family for her this weekend. The day before we took her, I cried. I do want her to find her forever home, but it was sad to think of her gone. It turns out she didn't like their two little dogs, so she's still with us. Again I felt sad and happy. Sad it didn't work out, happy we didn't put her in house that would fail her...and slightly happy we get some more time with her :)

Good luck!
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby Ilovethepits » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:03 pm

Maybe you can see where this Broward County mobile spay/neuter unit goes to and get her to it?

Humane Society of Broward County: The mission is to provide shelter, aid and responsible adoptions to animals and educate the community about respect and kindness to all animals. Programs and services include: adoption of unwanted dogs and cats, dog training, cruelty investigation, educational programs, facility tours, pet therapy, MASH mobile spay/neuter van, and a pet boutique. It is a nonprofit 501 (C) (3) organization that relies 100% on funding from individuals. The shelter is open Monday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and on Sunday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Phone Number: 954-989-3977
Mailing Address: 2070 Griffin Road, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33312-5997
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby TrainTrax » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:53 pm

West Palm Beach also does a lot of spay/neuter discounts. Peggy Adams is a big one. They even do vaccinations at a discounted price.

Lemme know if you need any help finding spay/neuter clinics. I'm in the west palm area, so I'll search around.
TrainTrax
Bully Lover 4 Life

Previous

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs