Miami, FL - I'm Hiding a Beautiful Stray from the Law.

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Re: Miami, FL - I'm Hiding a Beautiful Stray from the Law.

Postby brunomom » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:50 am

She is very pretty. I wish you luck in finding some help for her or a forever home. I am sure it's stressful with your neighbor and all.
brunomom
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby WGPKlaus » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:25 pm

Kind of off topic, but I really wish our government (state/local/fed) would be more focused on real issues as opposed to absurd crap like BSL's, politics seriously is just a joke!

Goodluck finding a home for her, she's gorgeous. :thumbsup:
WGPKlaus
Super Bully

Postby abalinka » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:26 am

Thank you for the kind words everyone!

We've had her for a week now, and she's finally breaking out of her shell a bit. She's social around people, but has been shy with things like playing and drinking. (The drinking part had me worried there for a bit). She's finally being playful, but it is in short spurts, and she only really plays with us, not any of her toys. I'm not sure that she understands what her toys are for ... it's making me wonder if she's even had one :(

When taken for walks, she's constantly on the prowl for cats and ducks. She usually goes nuts and tries to pull me over to where the cat (or duck) is, and holy crap is she strong. So now whenever there is a critter nearby, I make her sit and be calm until the cat passes, and then I slip her a treat and tell her what a good girl she has been. Is that a good way to correct this behavior?
abalinka
Newborn Bully

Postby Nickdawg » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:16 pm

yes that is a good way I think.
thanks for looking out for and after her, she is lovely. :bowdown:
Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby TahsSunny » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:01 am

What a stunning girl!. It's a shame you can't keep her. =/. How much longer can you keep her for?. I wish you luck with finding her a home!.
TahsSunny
Addicted to PBF

Postby abalinka » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:57 am

TahsSunny wrote:What a stunning girl!. It's a shame you can't keep her. =/. How much longer can you keep her for?. I wish you luck with finding her a home!.

I can keep her for as long as I want, really, it's just a matter of her being spotted.

I've been in contact with SugarFox03, and she seems very helpful and willing to help find her a foster home for the time being. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
abalinka
Newborn Bully

Postby TahsSunny » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:41 am

Thats good news!. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed. Thank you for helping this girl!.
TahsSunny
Addicted to PBF

Postby Adrianne » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:32 pm

abalinka wrote:When taken for walks, she's constantly on the prowl for cats and ducks. She usually goes nuts and tries to pull me over to where the cat (or duck) is, and holy crap is she strong. So now whenever there is a critter nearby, I make her sit and be calm until the cat passes, and then I slip her a treat and tell her what a good girl she has been. Is that a good way to correct this behavior?

:thumbsup: great choice :)
Adrianne
Regulator

Postby Melody » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:08 pm

abalinka wrote:
TahsSunny wrote:What a stunning girl!. It's a shame you can't keep her. =/. How much longer can you keep her for?. I wish you luck with finding her a home!.

I can keep her for as long as I want, really, it's just a matter of her being spotted.

I've been in contact with SugarFox03, and she seems very helpful and willing to help find her a foster home for the time being. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

We're working on it! Hope to get some dogs adopted this weekend to open up some foster space. Any luck on finding out how she is with other dogs - just so I can let potential fosters know?
Melody
Forum Junky

Postby merriterrier » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:34 pm

Aww, she's a cutie!

The ridiculousness of BSL makes my head spin. It is so unfortunate that good dogs and caring people get screwed by asinine laws. I'm sorry you're both in this position.

I hope she gets a foster before she gets spotted (that's tough living next door to an ACO). Sending Good Foster Vibes!
merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby RileysMommy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:41 pm

How did you take the dog to the vets if they are ban? wouldn't further public view on this dog seal her fate? just a question. And why would a vet in that area even see a pit knowing they aswell can get in trouble with helping out an illegally owned dog? again, this isnt trying to be rude in anyway, I am just confused.

Sorry, and she is beautiful! hope she finds a home!
RileysMommy
Adolescent Bully

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:49 pm

From what I have hear it isn't really an issue taking them to the vet there. Not sure how true that is.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby CSilverman89 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:52 pm

The Vets there aren't going to report you for having a dog that's listed as banned. Most of them in fact, will list it under another breed. Not that it will help if the dog is being confiscated, but still.

Thank you for taking in this beauty. I'll be thinking of her and keeping her in my thoughts for a foster home to open up, and for her second chance to begin.

abalinka wrote: So now whenever there is a critter nearby, I make her sit and be calm until the cat passes, and then I slip her a treat and tell her what a good girl she has been. Is that a good way to correct this behavior?

Very good choice. You are rewarding her for being calm and focusing on you with a distraction that in her mind, is the best. :thumbsup: You are doing wonderful with her, keep it up.
CSilverman89
Forum Junky

Postby abalinka » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:59 pm

SugarFox03 wrote:
abalinka wrote:

We're working on it! Hope to get some dogs adopted this weekend to open up some foster space. Any luck on finding out how she is with other dogs - just so I can let potential fosters know?

Okay, so she seems like she is going to be okay with dogs. We haven't done a complete test, it will have to wait until this weekend when we have time to try her out with each of our 3 dogs, 1 at a time. So far her dog-friendliness seems promising. On walks around the neighborhood she gets amazingly excited when another dog is within 200 ft; her tail goes crazy and she lets the world know that she has the most high pitched yap of a bark that you've ever heard. I'd rather not attempt an introduction when she's hyper like that to avoid a potentially harmful situation. Also, our dogs can see her through the glass door when she's in our backyard, and I was a bit worried about her reaction the first time she walked past the door, but she took it like a champ! She was more well-behaved than my 3 a-holes. When she walked past the door, she looked at my 3 angels but didn't go crazy, she just looked at them for a second or two and kept walking. I think she may be able to remain calm enough for a proper introduction.

Judging by how her behavior has changed in the past two weeks that we've had her, I would say that she would need a few days apart from the other dog(s) in the house so she and they can get used to each others' scent. She's way too excitable when she sees a new dog, and I would hate to see that turn into aggression for either one of the dogs.

On a side note, when I pulled up the house during lunch, the Animal Control truck was next door, and my heart immediately dropped. At first glace, I thought they were at my house. PHEW!

She's being a really good girl, and is just getting more loving as the days pass. Now that she's broken out of her shell, she is quite the ham. I love having her around, but she really needs a permanent home.
abalinka
Newborn Bully

Postby bellabear » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:41 pm

I hope she gets a foster home soon, so you can come home and not be nervous, and she deserves it. Thanks for helping her, it really does suck about bsl here :sad:

As far as the vets go, I have to take Bella to the dermatolgist vet in Homestead and she has been going for about 2 years. The vets care about the health of the dog, at least that is what I like to think. And I dont think they have her listed as her correct breed. But down here, we dont have that kind of vet, so I have no choice but to take her there.
bellabear
Forum Junky

PreviousNext

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs