Anyone with a solid female looking for a male

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Anyone with a solid female looking for a male

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:52 pm

Leo is a UKC reg (well, formerly reg, I did not accept his papers) APBT, blue and white, 60 lbs. He is an insecure dog who is wonderfully people friendly provided he has a solid female to play off of. He is insecure enough that if he went to a home with a and that wasn't solid or correct, he would himself become incorrect. He is a camelion and will match any dog he is with. He is extremely soft and eager to please. He has been up for adoption since October, I would love to find him the right home. He was born in May 2008
Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Re: Anyone with a solid female looking for a male

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:11 am

What do you mean by a "solid" female? What type of leadership does he need? Do you mean confidence, or a dog with no dog aggression, or is there some other role needed?

I have both a female and a male, and we're considering adding a male to our household because our female is the dominant personality in the house. We've been considering for nearly a year now, and still waiting for the perfect dog while we continue our travels into the purchase of a home etc.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:30 am

By *solid*, I mean correct temperament, not skittish but happy, gregarious and outgoing like a pit bull should be. Leo is a very soft dog that lacks confidence. He would do fine in a home without another dog but he actually seems to enjoy the company of other dogs - dogs of all sizes, males or females. He is not aggressive at all. Now he was surrendered to me for "dog aggression" and when I went out to the lady's house to try and talk to her about the breed and managing her dogs, she was such a flippin idiot, I couldn't leave him. What I think was happening was that he was getting picked on and dominated by his brother and he would eventually lash out back at him and then was labeled the one with the problem. She said he was the more dominant one which is is SO not. He is the softest, most submissive dog with people that I have ever met and he is VERY good with other dogs. He and my male can play tug very appropriately, it's just tugging, neither getting overstimulated or worked up. He's a really good dog. He's just not my kind of dog. He's too soft, too submissive, feelings too easily hurt. He can be a little nervous in new settings, constantly looking for approval. He'd never pass a TT, the scary stranger would have him barking/growling and then he'd run for the hills the moment they came forward. If he were tethered and cornered, he'd probably cry out and urinate on himself.

That's why I think he needs a nice solid female to emulate or model himself after. He seems so much at ease when he's being walked with another dog or loose with another dog. So when there's a difficult decision to be made about meeting a stranger, he can watch what the other dog does and doesn't have to make the decision to greet or bark. I think his previous owner encouraged her dogs to be more protective and with him, he is so not that kind of dog. It really stresses him out having to make those decisions. He plays fine with both males and females. I have a friend with a male and female pit bull and I take my male and Leo and we go over let the dogs run around to burn some energy. He does great. Would he always get along and be so great - potentially no, he's only 19 months old. But with his soft disposition he should always be easy to manage regardless of his dog aggression status.

He's very sweet, very loving and very affectionate - clingy is my word for it. He's such a suck up sometimes, you can barely walk without him being right underfoot. "please be my friend, my very bestest friend..." etc. He would probably be less so if I integrated him in to the house but my fosters kind of live a little bit segregated from the permanent residents.

He may have a little separation anxiety. He's not a barker nor does he tear things up but the one day I tried to leave him behind a baby gate in the kitchen for a few hours while I was gone. I came back to a puddle of drool in front of the gate but he didn't tear anything up or try to get out. He just sat in there and whined and drooled. He's great in the crate.

He's good with cats and kids too. Perfectly housebroken. He's never had an accident in the house or in his crate even if he wouldn't go while we were out. But, if his bladder is full when he is scared or meets someone new, he will pee on their feet. He can't help it, just squirts right out.

His temperament is not correct, he is not a good example of the breed emotionally but he is a strong healthy dog physically and is not aggressive. I can't put him down for being not correct when he isn't aggressive. I think he *could* be a problem if mis managed or if paired with a dog that was incorrect for aggression problems because he would model that behavior if left unchecked. When he's scared or nervous he will growl and that could be a problem. This happens when strangers come over or onto the property, not when he and I are out and about at the pet store or on a walk. That could potentially be corrected with some social skills training by setting up "strangers" with cookies and he'll learn that strangers aren't scary or something like that. Again, I think this is behavior that he modeled from the other dogs he lived with previously and it was encouraged. Would he never bite? I really can't say with 100% certainty but I think, even if he were being beaten with a lead pipe, he would just cower, cry out and urinate and try to get away. I don't think he would ever stand up for himself. He's just a big dumb marshmallow, squishy, easily injured and melts under pressure
Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby brunomom » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:53 am

He is a doll face that is for sure.
brunomom
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby WGPKlaus » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:22 pm

What a handsome fella, unfortunately I'm looking for a "solid" female for my boy, but with his face, you shouldn't have trouble finding a good forever home for him.

*Keeping my fingers crossed*
WGPKlaus
Super Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:33 pm

Too bad he's so stinkin' far away... I'd love to have someone evaluate my girl and find out if they'd mesh well together. Sheila's only social difficulties are some leash aggression with other dogs (easily managed with a gentle leader) and that she hates herding dogs... she tries to get them to stop herding and that of course leads to a fight.

With people, sheila is an angel. She happily approaches new places and people with confidence and kisses. Her only downside with people is when she is in a boarding kennel situation. She barks and lunges at the door, but when you open the door she's instantly a love again. I've had numerous comments about it from the groomer and I always warn the boarding kennel staff. Everyone loves her once they understand her nasty bark is actually her way of telling you to come back...

Sheila absolutely trusts people 100% and sets a good leadership role for my current male. Sheila had a small tumor removed using just lidocaine to numb the skin a few weeks ago because she'll let you do just about anything to her. She once laid on a special table for nearly 2 hours while the entire clinic learned to work the ultrasound machine... laying on both her back and side.

I'm not sure if any of the above behaviors would be something you wouldn't want your man to copy or not, sheila's not perfect, but she's pretty close in my opinion :D
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs