Flower : adorable puppy in Washington, DC area

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Postby PitBull-Lady » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:51 pm

This is the official post for Flower. Finally after 2 months I am at the point where I can share her with everyone.
Of course! I can't say enough good things about this sweet, smart little girl. She has completely stolen our hearts.
You can see her here>> http://www.spcanova.org/adoption/doglist.php?dspalum=No

Image[/quote]

She came to us in late October and we've been honored to be sharing our home with her ever since. The SPCA of Northern Virginia graciously agreed to sponsor her and help her find a home.

Before you fall in love, I suppose first, I should mention the SPCA's policies for puppies (PB or not). They require that the puppy not be with children under the age of 6. Also, there needs to be someone home with the puppy or be working from their home on a daily basis. The puppy will need to go outside every 2-3 hours and needs to be socilaized.
Feel free to read more on their site: http://www.spcanova.org/adoption/dogguidelines.php

BACKSTORY
October 25, 2009 a cute bouncy American PitBull Terrier (APBT) puppy was seen about to run into traffic on a busy road. She was quickly picked up by a kind heart. After attempts to scan for micro chips and posts on websites failed, she came into foster care.
On October 30th at an estimated 8.5 weeks of age and weighing 8.6 pounds, she came to stay in our home until she could find her forever family. Her foster home is full with 2 humans and 2 other APBTs. From day one, Flower has been an outgoing and bold personality. Not only is she smart and catches on quick but is able to adapt quickly to her surroundings.

TRAINING & BEHAVIOR
She understands when she comes in from ‘outside’ to sit and she will get a treat for being so good.
The ‘sit’ command is ingrained, but the staying seated to receive said treat, not so much!

Flower is currently crate trained and understands the ‘kennel’ command quite well. While we’d like to think it is about security, but we know it is because there are treats involved. Whatever it takes right? She goes in her kennel when we are not in the house and out on errands etc. so far, she is doing swimmingly!

She will need training work to have her understand that the humans are in charge. She is smart, but she is a nudge. VERY opportunistic; VERY TERRIER! She should respond well to verbal or clicker training and she’s very tuned in to body language.

She is a cuddle dog but only on her terms. When asleep with humans, she generally wants to be out from under any covers and wants to do her own thing. She is cuddly and sweet, but is not a lap dog. She likes to curl up around body parts like neck and head.

It has been fun watching her development over the last 2 month as she learns the appropriate way to show she l-o-v-e-s something. Wants to lick and kiss something etc. She is learning that the entire thing does not need to be clamped on in order to show your affinity for something. Such as noses or hair! Very little needs to go in her mouth these days, except toys.

At Thanksgiving we had many people in the house. Children, adults, no other pets. She was the best girl! During dinner, she curled up under our chairs. No begging, no whining, no jumping. This however plays into my mantra, "A tired puppy is a good puppy."

CHILDREN
Quite frankly, she's good with anyone, little or big.
Our neighborhood girls have also come over to visit and check her out. She has been around a range of children from 3yrs to 12yrs and she simply curled up next to them or let them play and rub her belly. There was little opportunity for toy stealing, but the little puppy needle teeth were NEVER an issue. She was very gentle. With our 12 yr old cousin however, she did play rougher with him. She liked his toes a little too much. In that regard, she is not a mouthy puppy. (and trust me, I know a mouthy puppy!)

CAR RIDES
Flower has taken a few l-o-n-g car rides and did fabulous. She was able to occupy herself and comfort herself while in the car. Her crate was her refuge and her toy supply house in the car. Once at our destination, she did well. She was a different dog.

BY HERSELF
While at our house she is vocal and demanding of the dog’s attention, apparently at a home with no dogs, she switches to a free player, wanting appropriate play with humans and for food and water, she also was free feeding on day one! The voracious eater we knew from October was using portion control when applicable, to her, by Thanksgiving.

PLAYTIME
Her play with older dogs is interesting. The best said about her is, she is fearless. By knowing she was going to cross that busy street, I can totally see her doing that. Her name should be "Escape" as in escape-artist! We've only had one incident of her ending up on the other side of the fence but she was a 10 lbs and a teeny wiggle worm.

From day one in her foster home she was jumping full body hurling off the couch and sailing a good 3 feet! Her personality can be so big that it is surprising what she can do physically too. Our home has one 9 yr old female APBT and a 17 month old male APBT. Generally she leaves the female alone and the male plays with her all day if he can. She generally follows them around learning about the world and the yard, sometimes there may be bad habits learned too. They play well, but she does tend to escalate the play to a very extreme and loud level. She is NOT shy about letting others know what SHE wants.

OTHER DOGS?
We do believe that she would be good with dogs of other breeds that are not as ‘dominant’ in personality; she is NOT a door mat personality. lol

We have brought her to my father's with his toy poodle who is very protective of her daddy; they got along great!
We also hae been over to our neighbors a few times to play with the yellow lab and small mix and the 2 younger ones played for hours (really) very well. No tiffs, no snarling, no screaming barks. It was nice active boisterous play.

When with other dogs, Flower is a ‘typical’ terrier. It is all about the playtime. She uses our own 17 month old puppy as her personnel chew Boy and anything in the house as her personal chew Toy. If not supplied with ample chew items shoes will quickly be up for grabs! Needless to say the floor is littered with toys. There is no toy too big for her. She does seem to think she is capable of doing anything the big dogs do despite her current tiny stature. Distraction has proven to be the best deterrent. If we give her something else to play with, she quickly leaves the item alone. Shame on us anyway for having dirty clothes on the floor and not in a basket.
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Re: Flower : adorable puppy in Washington, DC area

Postby PitBull-Lady » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:37 pm

I am happy to report Flower is now the owner of a rabies vaccine and...
a spay! :thumbsup:
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:40 pm

I'm happy to report Flower has been adopted!

No story but you can see it in print.
http://www.spcanova.org/adoption/dog_alumni.php

We're so happy for her.
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby patty » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:23 pm

Baby Flower is just adorable :inlove:

Fabulous this little girl found her forever home. :nana:
patty
Forum Junky

Postby mtlu » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:39 pm

Congrats to Flower! She seems like such an awesome pup :)
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby RoxieRules » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:37 am

Congrats to all of you!! What a lucky pup!!!!

Any adoption/family pics to share????
RoxieRules
Newborn Bully

Postby PitBull-Lady » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:24 pm

RoxieRules wrote:Congrats to all of you!! What a lucky pup!!!!

Any adoption/family pics to share????

Funny you should ask..................................

despite the look of aloofness on Flower and her NEW daddy looking like she just gave him an air biscuit,
WE WERE ALL REALLY HAPPY ON SATURDAY because yes you guessed it,

it's my husband and me!

Last week we sat down at Chipotle for dinner and he says, "So what are we doing about Flower?"
I replied, "Well, we have the adoption day on Satuday and then if someone wants to see her we still wait."
He said, "No. What do WE want to do about her?"

Ladies and Gentlemen, Mars & Venus, this is code for I WANT TO KEEP HER DESPITE MY OPPOSITION TO IT FROM THE BEGINNING. I LOVE HER.

So as you roll your eyes, lol lol lol who did not see this coming???? lol lol lol
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby RoxieRules » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:45 pm

What a fabulous pic!!!! And although hubby doesn't looked exactly THRILLED...I'm sure he really is.

Thanks so much for sharing!!
RoxieRules
Newborn Bully

Postby Scarsmommy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:43 pm

YAY :nana: She reminds me so much of my Salem.. :inlove:
Scarsmommy
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby PitBull-Lady » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:58 pm

Scarsmommy wrote:YAY :nana: She reminds me so much of my Salem.. :inlove:

I'm kind of excited to now have a wonderful dog and yet a new color combo to add to the 'collection'
Black Brindle! :inlove:

We had a red brindle / maybe it was considered brown, but he was stunning and scared the world because he looked 'mean' I hope Flower does not suffer the same discrimination.

...but she's so squishy and cute and all pupp-ee no one would want to discriminate against her!! ;)
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby dogs4jen » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:31 pm

Aw, how does it feel to be a failed foster? lol Congratulations to you and Flower, so glad she got a great home!
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby PitBull-Lady » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:38 pm

dogs4jen wrote:Aw, how does it feel to be a failed foster? lol Congratulations to you and Flower, so glad she got a great home!

Well, in all honesty.. it feels great!
but I knew this would happen, why do you think I tried to get rid of her day 1 ?????
God she's cute!
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:32 am

:))

congrats! flower is home!!!!
Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs