Darcy--WONDERFUL black pit bull in NC

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Darcy--WONDERFUL black pit bull in NC

Postby resthavenfarms » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:00 pm

Soo, the situation here is that Darcy was found, or rather took up with, a couple walking their two dogs in our local park area. He was underweight, horrible haircoat, un-neutered--typical story. They took him in, made some attempt to find his "family" but never succeeded, and spent quite a bit of money on his rehabilitation. They are now looking to find him a forever home.

This couple is a lovely set of people, they really care for Darcy. They have two large breed (Alsatian mix?) females and they didn't think that they could ever keep Darcy forever, but I think that the strain of the three dogs is really getting to them.

Darcy is an awesome dog! He's got great leash manners, they've taken him through intermediate level obedience and he does really, really well (rally, anyone?). Nicely put together, muscular boy, around 55 or so lbs, not what I consider to be very high energy. He does well with female dogs of all sizes and I think could be managed with mellow males (he does spark a little at my rude, overexuberant male pit bull but it's a very subtle thing, and I haven't seen him act that way toward any other dog, male or female). He behaves very, very well on leash around other dogs. He is cat friendly, as well. He's around 3 years old, of course in great health and now neutered. No resource guarding or any other issues--he's just a really nice dog.

EVERY SINGLE rescue in the area turned him away, a combination of both being full and his breed. The couple fostering him are very, very concerned about the home he goes to (as we all are) and it may take a breed rescue person to speak with them to help them understand that we CAN be thorough and find him a great home.

I am willing to transport this dog all over NC and into parts of VA and SC if anyone is interested. I'm going to get some pictures this coming Thursday during his obedience class, but he's a nice looking boy. It's too bad I don't have room for another foster or resident dog, because I love this guy.
resthavenfarms
Matured Bully

Re: Darcy--WONDERFUL black pit bull in NC

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:26 am

If he's neutered, I'd list him on www.pbrc.net it's probably going to be their best option. also, many rescues will provide a courtesy post if he is fully vetted, neutered and has been evaluated by someone competent.
Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby daz3dx » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:27 pm

Id love to see the pictures when you post them :headbang:
daz3dx
Newborn Bully

Postby resthavenfarms » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:34 am

Amy--Both the trainer he has working with and I have been around Darcy, and I feel that both of us are at least a little competant to initially evaluate him--he's a very stable dog. Yes, neutered and very fully vetted in case you missed that part of the post--these people aren't your run of the mill casual dog people. Darcy is the first bully they've ever dealt with but they know the kind of homes that bullies can sometimes fall into, which is why they're so concerned about potential homes. I'll speak with them about the pbrc site.

We're meeting with he and his people again during his obedience class on Thursday. I'm going to take a few pictures then and will post them here, just in case.

He's relatively low key and I don't see a ton of potential problems with him down the road.
resthavenfarms
Matured Bully

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:03 pm

I'd still recommend www.pbrc.net for advertising this dog for a home.
Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs