need help with rescue

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

need help with rescue

Postby ez » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:31 am

does any one know of a rescue in the whittier area of southern california? i have tried all the places i found on the web and they are all full. no one will take another pit and i sure am not going to take him to the pound. if any one can give me some help, i would appreciate it greatly
ez
Newborn Bully

Re: need help with rescue

Postby merriterrier » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:24 pm

The reality in this economy is that most rescues are full or overly full. The spots they do have open up occasionally are usually saved for shelter/pound/desperate need cases. You might need to expand your search radius or be willing to transport/ship if you want to get your dog into a rescue. You can also ask rescues to courtesy list your dog. How that works is they list the dog on their website but you keep the dog until a home is found. If you try re-homing the dog yourself I would be more than happy to send you my application for potential adopters.

May I ask why you are re-homing your dog?

FYI - owner re-homes are not permitted on PBF.
merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby ez » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:50 pm

no i am trying to find a home for a friends dog. i have 3 dogs, 2 pits and a shepherd. he is loosing his home at the end of march, he was foreclosed upon and is moving in with his dad who doesnt have the means to house a dog. his dads house has a yard but no fence. i tried bring his dog to my house to keep him for a while but that was a disaster. my dogs are old and his is a 18 month old puppy and wants to play all the time. he has gone all the way up to santa clarita but no one has room. i dont want to see the dog go to a shelter and be put down.
ez
Newborn Bully

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:03 pm

I've lived many places without the benefit of a fence and it can be done. You just have to be creative. I used to rollerblade with one of my dogs as that was the best exercise he (and I) could get.
Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby ez » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:31 pm

yeah the dog gets walks and exercise now. guess i'll just tell him to keep looking. wouldnt be so bad if his dad let him keep the dog inside but his dad is totally against having dogs in the house. i have know him and his family for 20+ years and his dad has never had a dog or any pet for that matter lol. i wish i could take him but i am strapped for money and one more mouth to feed right now is just not gonna work. plus he's a hyper pup and my dogs are old and lazy, just like me lol
ez
Newborn Bully

Postby merriterrier » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:34 pm

I see. Maybe one of the California rescues on here would be willing to post him up for you. Keep trying, and get some really good/cute pictures. Come up with a list of all his good traits, and acknowledge his quirks (like if he chases cats he would be best in a home w/o cats). Send this info to rescues, and just keep trying.

That sucks that dad won't let the dog in the house. Even though chaining a dog is generally frowned upon, it can be done in a humane way. As long as he has shelter, food and water, is located in a fairly safe part of the yard (ie: not on the alleyway or street, or anywhere he can be easily harassed) and gets daily attention and exercise he should be fine tethered short term.

Since he is not your dog, you can even post him here if you want.

Sending you both Good Vibes! :thumbsup:
merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby msvette2u » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:49 pm

I would not chain with no fenced yard - but can you set up a 4 walled KENNEL/Dog Run?
msvette2u

Postby ez » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:18 pm

thanks guys. i just feel really bad for my friend, he's going through enough as it is thats why i told him i'd help him with his dog. if he got along with my dogs i would keep him and just ask for feed money till he got back on his feet. but he brought him over and all was good for a while. did the whole muzzle thing and they sniffed and played. but after about ten mins of his dog licking my old hounds they started growling and staring each other down. i took his dog out and told him i dont think it will work. i dont want to be ref on dog fights. my 3 get along great and only minor flare ups here and there but they have been together for years. he's a nice dog but not used to being in a house with other dogs, cats and people he has no problems with. that and my luck with puppies isnt great, i've had 3 stolen from my house, 2 from inside my fenced yard.
ez
Newborn Bully

Postby ez » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:20 pm

msvette2u wrote:I would not chain with no fenced yard - but can you set up a 4 walled KENNEL/Dog Run?

do you have any links to such a thing? all the portable things i've seen are just like small fences and the dog is pretty big, my dogs get put out during the day and i have 6 foot walls all around
ez
Newborn Bully

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:26 pm

You can buy kennels at any Home Supply Store. they are chain link kennels 10*10 or 4*7, six feet high and you can build a lid. Now these aren't for the dog to live in there 24/7. Your friend would still have to provide plenty of stimulation and exercise outside of there. That would just keep the dog safe when he is not home or at night.
Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby ez » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:34 pm

Amy Hendrickson wrote:You can buy kennels at any Home Supply Store. they are chain link kennels 10*10 or 4*7, six feet high and you can build a lid. Now these aren't for the dog to live in there 24/7. Your friend would still have to provide plenty of stimulation and exercise outside of there. That would just keep the dog safe when he is not home or at night.

i have seen those at home depot. i will talk to my friend tomorrow and maybe go try and talk to his dad also. maybe the two of us can convince him to let him keep the dog. thanks guys.
ez
Newborn Bully

Postby merriterrier » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:49 am

Honestly, I would tether before I would house a Pit Bull in a chain link run. Chain Link runs are notoriously crappy (I have seen Pit Bulls and other active breeds shred them within 24hrs of purchase), and they are very easy to get out of, especially if the dog is being left alone unsupervised, plus the latches can be opened whether or not there is a lock on the gate. People can harass dogs in runs just as easily as on chains if they are not in a fenced yard.

If you are going with a kennel the welded wire ones are the best. I have a 10'x10' preifert kennel and I love it! They even sell serious tops. The issue is you will drop a grand for a big one or about $600 for a small 5x10 one.
merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby msvette2u » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:07 am

Welded wire is best but more expensive...I'd worry about the dog getting either attacked or becoming another statistic, chained out 24/7.
Some dogs can be in chain link and not destroy it, it depends on the dog. Welded wire is great, if you can afford it.
msvette2u

Postby ProudMommy77 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:34 pm

merriterrier wrote:Honestly, I would tether before I would house a Pit Bull in a chain link run. Chain Link runs are notoriously crappy (I have seen Pit Bulls and other active breeds shred them within 24hrs of purchase), and they are very easy to get out of, especially if the dog is being left alone unsupervised, plus the latches can be opened whether or not there is a lock on the gate. People can harass dogs in runs just as easily as on chains if they are not in a fenced yard.

If you are going with a kennel the welded wire ones are the best. I have a 10'x10' preifert kennel and I love it! They even sell serious tops. The issue is you will drop a grand for a big one or about $600 for a small 5x10 one.

:goodpost: ..sounds like you friend is really down on his luck, and that sucks. But, I agree with Robin about the chaining, I have two chain spots in my yard, and my yard is fenced in (we call them bull lines), if he cannot afford a nice kennel set up. Besides it's tempory, so no biggie IMO, if he is really serious about keeping his dogs. If I were in his shoes, sorry but I would go with the cheapest thing possible, that is still secure and safe (not sure of the area or neighborhood the father lives in), until I had the money to move into a place that has a fenced in yard. While kennels are very safe, and secure if it is a welded wire one, I have seen some nasty kennel fights involving dogs, meaning one on the outside and one the inside, these were mastiffs that went around, not pretty, but goes to prove that even kennels aren't a saving grace when it comes to attacks. good luck.
ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:57 pm

The problem with this is the dog is going to live outside on the chain 24/7. I do not think that chaining a dog in an unfenced yard is a safe option. Sure, chain the dog or tether whatever when you are at home but if you aren't at home to monitor the dog putting him in a safe kennel where he can't be attacked by other dogs would be safer. There are just too many things that can happen to a chained an unattended dog. I feel a kennel while not the best option would be safer. some people might think twice before crossing into a yard to mess with a dog in a kennel where they might more readily throw sticks or rocks at a chained dog - seen it happen. Also seen a cute little brindle pit nearly mauled to death by two loose pit bulls - she was chained and the owner wasn't home.

I would rather see the dog in the house and outside to potty but that doesn't look like it is an option for this guy.

Maybe you can contact your local DDB and see if the can help you build a safe fence for this dog.
Last edited by Amy Hendrickson on Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Next

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs