Lucas, blue pup from Oakland *****ADOPTED*****

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Lucas, blue pup from Oakland *****ADOPTED*****

Postby pacopoe » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:05 pm

Meet Lucas, a nearly 4 month old pup we're fostering for Oakland Animal Services.

Here's his Petfinder page (he came as "Lukka" but I'm not too fond of the name so it morphed into "Lucas" which is waaaay cuter for him lol ):
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/15787472?recno=5

The good: he's cute as sin, totally doesn't care about the cat, while he's described as mouthy it's no more so than any other puppy (and he actually stops if you "eeep!"), and is totally tuned into people. He's potty trained, crates easily, listens to rules and respects boundaries once laid out, and he walks well on a leash.

The bad: terrible dog-dog body language. Getting better but will probably always have to keep an eye on him. Somewhat toy/food possessive but is learning to share. Barks at strangers. Actively working on this and basically having new folks feed him his meals over the course of a day. His fear is pretty classic... for instance he loves Aaron to death but barked at him when he walked out of the shower with a towel around his waist because it was a "new silhouette" and he chose to bark before investigating. However, you can call him out of it and get his attention, so it's work-able.

He'd probably do best paired with a confident, mellow older dog that he can learn from and will not react to his posturing. Otherwise he may just be best as an only dog, but he'd be totally fine with a cat. Definitely not a dog park dog lol

Soooooo... anyone want a rare blue pit bull? lol
pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Re: Lucas, blue pup from Oakland

Postby pacopoe » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:11 pm

Oh, and before anyone asks, he is *not* a keeper for us. He and Xdog have similar issues, so while it's fine for a few weeks it's not a great long term match. They do love each other a lot and have been playing quite well, he's been learning a lot from her, but he's not "the one" lol
pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Postby Adrianne » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:16 pm

What are the similar issues ?

He's adorable! Best of luck!
Adrianne
Regulator

Postby pacopoe » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:18 pm

Adrianne wrote:What are the similar issues ?

They both bark at things they're afraid of, and when one barks the other one wants to bark, so it's a cycle. Right now I'm taking them out in public individually whenever possible so they can't feed off of each other. I don't want him to learn to bark more ;)

But he's definitely work-able and cute enough that you want to help him out :thumbsup:
pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Postby merriterrier » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:49 pm

He's a cutie! Good Luck!
merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby pacopoe » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:04 pm

Lucas update: he's making great strides. While his inclination is to be naughty, he's learning to control it.

Here are some pics mtlu snapped yesterday while at the shop (have to say, Lucas will be a well documented puppy... this was his 3rd photo session of the day since two different folks from the shelter stopped by to snap pics of him lol )

pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Postby msvette2u » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:46 pm

What do you mean by "terrible dog-dog body language"?

I'm curious because we get a number of dogs into rescue who "posture" or act like they want a challenge...is that what you mean by that? Potentially DA or just thinks he is, or just learning boundaries?
msvette2u

Postby Angela Adams » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:57 pm

OMG! He is so cute! I wantz him! :))
Angela Adams
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby pacopoe » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:27 pm

msvette2u wrote:What do you mean by "terrible dog-dog body language"?

I'm curious because we get a number of dogs into rescue who "posture" or act like they want a challenge...is that what you mean by that? Potentially DA or just thinks he is, or just learning boundaries?

Not quite sure yet. One thing I like is that he can still focus on you when other dogs are around. He's not fixated or anything. Right now when a dog corrects him, he wants to take it to the next level, but he'll listen to you if you tell him to knock it off. In general he's getting better, not doing the full body+tail-hackles plus J-Tail-way-up-over-the-back constantly the way he was a few days ago.

I know I've seen puppies who've started out as total bullies grow up into super submissive players, so we'll see lol
pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Postby msvette2u » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:32 pm

Ah thank you.
We had just recently fostered a very female-dominant/aggressive Pug(gle?) mix and her body language was a red flag right from the instant I met her.
She played fine with boys but girls she'd attack immediately. I still don't know what was up with that, but sorry for taking this OT!
msvette2u

Postby pacopoe » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:34 pm

yeah, I've seen puppies who were extremely dog aggressive from the outset, like the 5 week old chow/pit/shep/mutt who tried to *kill* Paco, but he's not like that. Just rude, rude, rude, and, left to his own devices, would get in a lot of trouble lol
pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Postby msvette2u » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:42 pm

So kind of unsocialized, so to speak, with other dogs, we get many in like that too, it helps so much to have another dog or two to teach them 'manners' in a kind way.
Thanks for giving that to him :)
msvette2u

Postby pacopoe » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:52 pm

I don't know how to embed flash video, but you can watch his new movie here (I didn't pick the song lol ): http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/15787472?recno=11

pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shana » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:39 am

Dear god hes BEAUTIFUL!
If I was on the market for a dog I would seriously inquire about sending him up to Canada. Whether or not that would actually work out... well...
But I want him, I do I do I do!
He sooo pretty
Will someone scoop me up and pour me back into a mold please so I can function again? I am all over the floor here
:inlove: :inlove: :inlove:
Find a good home, little boy. You deserve it.
Shana
Newborn Bully

Postby AssistedSilence » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:28 pm

I would adopt him in a heartbeat. but why so far. I hope he finds a great loving home. :inlove:
AssistedSilence
Newborn Bully

Next

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs