Sneaky Double Dealings, South CA

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Sneaky Double Dealings, South CA

Postby Red » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:25 pm

I got no interest in this girl and I wonder why. She has been on PBRC forever and for some reason she is not getting any application. I am honest when I list a dog for adoption and after all she is not a dog for most people.I am posting her here again, since she has been with me for quite some time and I got to know who she is. I'll just quote what I listed on PBRC:

"Sneaky Double Dealings is a a year and 7 months old Pit Bull female who is spending time here til a good home is found.She is a rambunctious young dog who is working on her manners.She is learning trough clicker training and positive reinforcement.Sneaky is looking for someone who understands that she is just a young dog with a lot to learn and a person who will commit to her for a lifetime.Also looking for a responsible Pit Bull owner who fully understand the breed situation and will keep her out of trouble.She is house trained and food/ toy motivated, which helps her training. Sneaky is currently doing well with one of my males although she can be rough in play time and quite pushy. If a home is experienced enough she can probably live with an appropriate male, granted that all interaction is supervised. She won't be adopted to a home with a resident female dog. Only exception would be a very breed wise home that have the set up to keep the dogs separated.Currently being worked with the resident cat. Sneaky is crate trained and kennel trained but confinement needs to be appropriate and fair. Sneaky was found pregnant (has been spayed) and with a left eye that was in bad shape. She had a condition called micropthalmia on her left eye, which means that she had a tiny eye that never fully developed. A surgery took care of it , the eye has been removed and replaced with a silicone implant. Her right eye is in perfect condition and she can see normally.Good with kids and people, although she needs to learning that jumping up can knock over a small child. This is an energetic dog for someone who wants to do sports or give her a job to do. She cannot be expected to lay on the couch all day long as she needs constant mental and physical stimulation. She has been started in dock diving, has an UKC LP and earned her UWP (United Weight Puller) title in February. Her hips and elbows have been evaluated by OFA (Orthopedic Foundation for Animals).Hips FAIR, elbows NORMAL .Home check required and adoption contract to sign.No dog parks for this cutie, no exceptions. She is spayed, micro chipped and updated on her shots.On going training and management guidelines available.Please serious inquires only."

Red
Addicted to PBF

Re: Sneaky Double Dealings, South CA

Postby msvette2u » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:40 pm

She looks great, Val.
I can only say that adoptions are slow all over.
We had 8 adoptions last weekend, a hallmark even when adoptions were going good, but I don't expect that to be a weekly thing.
msvette2u

Postby pacopoe » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:18 am

As someone who has been dog shopping for what seems like forever, I have to say seeing a frank write-up is refreshing. It's really sad the way some dogs are mis-represented (one dog was described as, "loves car rides!" which we later found out was based one *one* car ride three months earlier).

Sneaky will find a good home. Until then, she's in the best hands :thumbsup:
pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Postby Nickdawg » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:17 am

I think it is great that it is an honest upfront description - I just wonder if you may want to change the "layout" of the write-up a bit so the positive is more towards the beginning - especially in terms of her potential as a working dog... just a thought....
Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby buckaroo » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:37 am

That bio, while informational and probably very helpful, is why you're not getting apps. However, it's probably weeding out the people you wouldn't be interested in adopting to anyway. Anybody who can get through that and is still interested, is probably quite good.
buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby merriterrier » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:54 am

Aww Sneaky... I've been admiring this girl for a while. Good Luck with finding a great home for her.

I know what you're saying about adoptions being slow. I have an incredible dog here who hasn't had so much as an app, and a young JRT who everyone seems to want, but no one is prepared for. :sad: Sending out positive adoption vibes across the board.
merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:32 pm

I would try the oreo cookie bio

Good
BAD
Good

begin on a positive note and end on a positive note and slide the frank "need to work on/watch things" things inbetween her fab accomplishments. Sounds like a great dog.
Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby MikeInTacoma » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:47 pm

buckaroo wrote:That bio, while informational and probably very helpful, is why you're not getting apps. However, it's probably weeding out the people you wouldn't be interested in adopting to anyway. Anybody who can get through that and is still interested, is probably quite good.

I think buckaroo is right. Most of the homes that would be suitable, probably are up to their ears in dogs already; and the honesty of the description is scaring away the unsuitable homes. (Plus, I'm sure that, with the economy the way it is, adoptions will continue to be slower than usual for a while, as msvette2u and merriterrier report. For most Americans, a dog is a luxury that can be deferred.)

Good luck with her! :thumbsup:
MikeInTacoma
Regulator

Postby Red » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:06 pm

Yeah, the idea is to weed out people who would not be a fit or those who could not have enough commitment to own a dog like her for a lifetime . Guess I am doing a good job since nobody wants her!!
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.I understand that the bio is probably discouraging but I also know the dog and she definitely needs a person who can keep up with her and that better be clear from the beginning.If I was to read that bio and I could adopt another dog I would most likely inquire for her but then again I seem to be a sucker for the troublemakers.
Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby patty » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:38 pm

Just a couple of thoughts about Sneaky. I met you, your husband and Sneaky briefly a year ago at the Bass Pro Shop Dock Diving event. My first impressions:

Beautiful
Soft, smelled good lol
Sweet
Believe it or not, well mannered

You were walking her up the sidewalk to go into the busy, busy store full of loud people scurring about. Sneaky was focused on you, just walking sniffing around, not pulling and looking great! We walked into the lobby to meet my SO, Sneaky didn't look nervous and after chatting a bit off you went into the sea of people.

I know you see all her faults, but I truly believe she shines. You have every right to be protective of her. Your bio is very honest, but maybe add a bit of her softer side in the description. Also stress that her eye should not be an additional expense for the future. Many people may not understand the condition. Let them know how much fun she has weight pulling and diving and what a fast learner she is!!

She is a gem and you have done a terrific job with her. Hoping Sneaky finds the next best home besides your own and is pampered for life.
patty
Forum Junky

Postby mtlu » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:52 pm

Just wanted to say good luck to Sneaky! You've done such an amazing job spotlighting her potential as a sport dog despite already having a full house – I hope a capable owner takes interest in her soon!
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:39 pm

patty wrote:Just a couple of thoughts about Sneaky. I met you, your husband and Sneaky briefly a year ago at the Bass Pro Shop Dock Diving event. My first impressions:

Beautiful
Soft, smelled good lol
Sweet
Believe it or not, well mannered

You were walking her up the sidewalk to go into the busy, busy store full of loud people scurring about. Sneaky was focused on you, just walking sniffing around, not pulling and looking great! We walked into the lobby to meet my SO, Sneaky didn't look nervous and after chatting a bit off you went into the sea of people

Hi Patty. Thanks for the comments but you are just overly nice because that dog was everything but well mannered! Or..you caught Sneaky in the only 2 seconds attention span she was able to give me back then (now it is 5..lol). You are spot on on one thing, Sneaky is absolutely not nervous in a crowd of people. The more people around the happier and clownish she is. Dogs are another story.

mtlu wrote:Just wanted to say good luck to Sneaky! You've done such an amazing job spotlighting her potential as a sport dog despite already having a full house – I hope a capable owner takes interest in her soon!

I actually thought and hoped for an easy dog for once, based on what I saw at the vet after she was found. I had offered to pay for food and the vet care needed but said not to housing her. Then when I arranged to meet to take her to the vet again I learned that she was kept her in a crate day and night and looked pregnant (which she was). Not wanting to risk a litter of puppies since I did not have ownership I took her in.Frankly it was not the time to foster one more, nor it is now, but I had to suck it up since then (and secretly kicked my own rear end for it).
Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:52 am

Personally I like the straight forward bio. When you are dealing with a high caliber dog it is actually easier IMO to weed out the people who wouldn't be good for a dog before they call. Otherwise you have a bunch of morons calling about a dog they could never handle and then getting irked b/c you won't place the dog with them. I have had this problem with Rosen's Petfinder listing through the shelter (which I did not write). I'm about ready to take it down and replace with something like: "Needs hunting or sport home, no male dogs-compatible females only, no pocket pets. Breed experience required." Then maybe I won't get ding dongs who want him for their toddler, to live in a condo, or as a buddy for their Rott.
merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red Chrome » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:54 am

You know honestly, I appreciate the very honest bios. Also, IF I was looking to add another APBT at this time, I would defientely inquire about her. She is cute, she has health testing and she is young, spayed, good with people and crowds. I mean she sounds like a wonderful dog but not a dog that anyone could deal with or a dog to eb left to their own devices as so many families do with them.

Sometimes we are too critical of the dogs that we own or are close too. Maybe this is the case with Sneaky? Although I like the bio and think it is weeding out the homes you'd have too anyway if you wrote a cute, "this dog is almost perfect" bio.

Good Luck to you and Sneaky!!

Courtney
Red Chrome

Postby Adrianne » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:06 pm

Best of luck with her, you're amazing for your commitment. I really wish she was a supervision approved dog in a multiple dog household, I could really see myself integrating her as a sport protege.
Adrianne
Regulator

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs