Northern Indiana Rescue?

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Northern Indiana Rescue?

Postby concept » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:39 pm

Today when I was driving home from work I found a cute little pocket pit or puppy in the middle of the road just sitting there. I didnt want to see her get hit by a car so I poped open my door and she jumped right in. She was very nice and happy to see me. It looked as though she hadnt eatin in a week or 2, since she was so thin.

I took her to the AC place a couple miles away in case her owners were looking for her, and to make sure she didnt have any dire need for a vet. I asked if nobody claimed her when she would be up for adoption. They said never ,as soon as the hold time is up they will euthanize her, she said sometimes they release to shelters but that they are all full. I asked I could take her back, and hold on to her but they wouldnt have that. I offered to foster her until a home came, but non of that.

Which brings me to my question. Incase this ever happens again is there a better way to handle this? Is there any good bully rescues near south bend/ mishawaka, Indiana? While im not looking for a permanent 2nd dog, id be more than willing to foster one, rather than she her killed because of the breed.

Kinda ruined my day
concept
Adolescent Bully

Re: Northern Indiana Rescue?

Postby Ilovethepits » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:47 pm

That sucks.

I found PBRC State page:
http://pbrc.net/webapp/cgi-bin/orgs_by_ ... 0aa415eaed

That has happened to me before when I called our metro animal control to pick up a dog in my yard. What I did was call all the breed specific rescues I could find in my state and left them a message (what you usually have to do) that our AC had this dog and it did end up getting pulled by a rescue.

Sometimes a rescue can find a foster last minute if they know there is a "special" dog or a dog they are specifically looking for (male/female) OR you might contact the rescues and say you would foster the dog for them (through them) and then they can pull the dog and you can foster it?

If it doesn't work out that the dog gets pulled just remember YOU did the right thing. It is a much better fate to be euthanized than to be hit and injured, starve to death or be picked up by an abuser.

Best luck to you.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby concept » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:44 pm

I thought about it forever tonight at the gym and the more i think about it the more pissed if get that I just didnt take her home and then look for a rescue or something.
concept
Adolescent Bully

Postby mroman » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:38 pm

Did you try Animal Service League out of Dowagiac, MI?

Mark
mroman
Super Bully

Postby concept » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:15 pm

mroman wrote:Did you try Animal Service League out of Dowagiac, MI?

Mark

Talked to them this morning, they cant do anything. So I guess she is lost..
concept
Adolescent Bully

Postby merriterrier » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:41 am

Would a rescue be willing to pull the dog if you foster her? It might help if you are offering your services so that they do not pull a dog with no where to go.

Good Luck!
merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby concept » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:04 pm

merriterrier wrote:Would a rescue be willing to pull the dog if you foster her? It might help if you are offering your services so that they do not pull a dog with no where to go.

Good Luck!

When I talked to animal services league yesterday I told them I would be willing to foster her until she finds a permanent home. But they didnt take me up.
concept
Adolescent Bully

Postby Nickdawg » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:20 pm

see if you can find a rescue to pull her if you agree to foster... I assume she has a gd temperment etc.?
Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby concept » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:00 pm

That was the only rescue near us that i know of and it was aobut an hour away, the only other one is pet refuge, but their license with the city specifically forbids them pulling pit bulls.

I dont really know much of her temperament, I only had her for 20-30 minutes and she was happy and playing. She was scared to go in the building so I had to drag her by the collar and she didnt snarl or growl. This is part of the reason I wanted a rescue too(which i mentioned in my letter to them).

However tomorrow at 4pm is the 72 hours, so im pretty sure thats their hold time.

*edit

I just looked on their site; The legal holding period is a minimum of two business days for pets who are NOT wearing a City License.

So if they hold to that, she may already be gone.
concept
Adolescent Bully

Postby merriterrier » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:36 pm

Bummer.
merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs