Rescue Question

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Rescue Question

Postby BlueJay » Tue May 11, 2010 12:59 pm

I was just wondering if anyone knew where I could find information on starting a pit bull rescue? I would like to start one after I get out of college and find adequate land. Also, do shelters (such as high kill shelters) move pit bulls from their shelter to another that has more experience with that breed and the space to give them a proper home until they find their forever home? This is still at least 2 years away but I am trying to find out as much as I can in the time that I have. Thank you for any responses.

~Blu
BlueJay
Newborn Bully

Re: Rescue Question

Postby Amie » Tue May 11, 2010 1:18 pm

Since you're looking at something two years away, I'd highly suggest working with an area rescue that you respect now. It's the best way to see the truth of the business (and it is a business) and learn from experience some things that work and some that don't. Most rescues don't last long, because they essentially hemorrhage money.

BlueJay wrote:do shelters (such as high kill shelters) move pit bulls from their shelter to another that has more experience with that breed and the space to give them a proper home until they find their forever home?

That's going to depend on your region, almost entirely, I would think. There's the legality of pit bulls and adoption in your area, as well as what other rescues are available for you to network with. The shelter where I work sends out as many animals as possible to other shelters and rescues, but because of the canine population (we're 90 - 95% pit bull) most of the dogs we send out are the non-bullies. If it's tiny and fluffy, it will be in our system for less than 24 hours usually. It's it's a pit bull, it might be months.

We would love to send more out to rescues, but in this area, the pit bull rescues are completely saturated, and it's very hard to find to homes or foster homes for the dogs. Another pit bull rescue in this area would be great, but truthfully rescue work is not cost-effective at all. People complain about how much it costs to adopt a dog (most rescues here are under $200 - my shelter is actually $65) but the fact of the matter is that one dog might cost $500 or more in the time it's in the system. Obviously that's at least a $300 LOSS with each animal.

To join up with other shelters and rescues, you'd have to sign some sort of contract - being sure that both entities agree on things like spay/neuter timing (will you require it? will you offer vouchers for the new owner to get the animal altered at a vet of their choice? will you insist on it being done before the animal leaves your property?) and potential homes (will you require fencing? will you do home inspections? what would make you reclaim an animal?) and that sort of thing.

It's a complicated, exhausting, and challenging industry - I'm glad you've got two years to start getting prepared!
Amie
Regulator

Re: Rescue Question

Postby BlueJay » Tue May 11, 2010 1:44 pm

Thank you very much for your response.

There really arent many shelters in my area. I'm in a rual part of Pennsylvania. The closest ones are an hour away. I know that pit bulls usually do spend longer amounts of time in shelters, especially if they are older. That's how mine was and I have kind of made it my personal mission to try to help others that have had similar experiences.

My dream for the kind of place I would like to have is that it is sort of less of the typical shelter and more of a temporary/foster home for those who do get along with other dogs and meanwhile trying to work with those who are not so friendly with other dogs.

The money is where I am the absolute most unsure. Thats partly why I say that it will be at least 2 years. I am planning to save as much as I can to start things. After that I plan to continue to save while doing fund raisers and such to help support the cost.

I didnt think of the contract part of working with other shelters, and I'm glad you brought it up because that will definitely be something that I will have to think about as well.

As complicated, exhausted, and challenging as the industry is, I know that I wouldnt be here today if it wasnt for the pit I rescued. I kind of feel like I owe it to him to do what I can to help save others.
BlueJay
Newborn Bully

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs