Meet Snickers! Deaf puppy with pleanty of 'tude

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Meet Snickers! Deaf puppy with pleanty of 'tude

Postby Stormi » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:45 pm

Meet Snickers. She's a 10 week old, deaf, (we think) pit bull mix puppy who's currently with DRAW rescue. I've had the pleasure of getting to know this little firecracker the past few weeks, and lemme tell ya, she is quite the character. She's already mastered "sit", "shake", and "spin" and was starting to get the concept of "down" this past weekend. In other words, she's a quick learner! Her hearing impairment most certainly does not slow her down one bit! She's a wild child, but has amazing focus and I don't doubt that she'd make a great sports dog once she grows up. She is FULL of attitude and appears to be under the impression that she is the hottest thing since sliced bread (which, hey, ya gotta admit she is darn cute!).

She's probably not the best prospect for a brand new, first time owner as she is quite a handful, unless they're someone who's willing to put in the time and have the commitment it takes to train and raise a very energetic puppy who is deaf (and if she gets adopted out in the Seattle area, she's got a trainer who's already well aquianted with her ;) ). She's dog friendly, cat friendly, and kid friendly. She'll be ready for adoption once she's spayed - if anyone is interested in her, contact DRAW rescue to fill out an application!

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Re: Meet Snickers! Deaf puppy with pleanty of 'tude

Postby danah515 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:54 am

She is adorable!! :inlove: I hope she can find a good home.

I am curious. Sorry if my post sounds stupid. But mainly I am wondering how different it is having a deaf dog. I know that when she is in front of you hand signals are best. But how would you call her to you in she was in another room? Would it be best to have another dog so that they could be her "ears". I think I have heard that a lot of deaf dogs are adopted out to families that already have dogs.
danah515
Adolescent Bully

Postby Stormi » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:46 am

Honestly, I find it almost easier to work with a deaf dog than a hearing one because there's no noise distractions :) You could have 5 dogs across the street barking their brains out and the deaf dog walks calmly on the leash because he doesn't know any better. There's really a lot of benefits to having a deaf dog. Dogs are visual learners naturally anyway, so I find it really puts the dog-human team on a more level communication field. We humans place so much importance on language and we forget not all animals learn the same way that we do. I train all in hand signals and body language cues, which again, all dogs learn whether we know it or not. Think of how many dogs go bezerk when their owner picks up the leash or throws on those certain pair of shoes that mean its time to go for a walk. The owner didn't have to say a word, did they?
Unfortunately I have heard of some shelters requiring a hearing dog in the home to adopt out a deaf dog, which is such a shame. When the neighbor's dogs start up the twighlight bark, I'm very glad that my dog sit quietly on the couch and there's not a "hearing" dog to tip him off ;) If the dog is in another room and you need to get their attention, you can stomp on the floor, or simply go get the dog. I know its a rare occiasion in my house that my dog is in another room unless its bedtime, anyway. They really don't need another "hearing" dog to live a healthy, happy life. There's a lot of myths out there about deaf dogs that just aren't true.
Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:01 pm

I :inlove: Snickers!! What a sweetheart.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:47 am

AWESOME update: Snickers has a home!!!!!!! And not just any home, but she has a home with a wonderful positive dog trainer in Oregon who has prior deaf dog experiance! I am beyond elated right now for this little girl!!!
Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:40 am

Stormi wrote:AWESOME update: Snickers has a home!!!!!!! And not just any home, but she has a home with a wonderful positive dog trainer in Oregon who has prior deaf dog experiance! I am beyond elated right now for this little girl!!!

Way to Go!!! :nana:
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby laiinkyree » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:20 pm

That's great news!!!

Stormi, random question slightly off topic. When training a deaf dog, how do you get their attention?
laiinkyree
Matured Bully

Postby Stormi » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:40 pm

If they're not looking at you, stomping on the floor, clapping to create vibration, lightly tapping them, or waving your hands to either push air or catch their line of vision. The big advantage with doing lots of training with a deaf dog, or any dog for that matter, is they naturally always have their eye on you because you are their source of all things awesome :)
Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs