rescue help - Philadelphia

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

rescue help - Philadelphia

Postby PITtsburgher » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:45 pm

Hi PBF,

I am looking for adoption or rescue for my foster dog Choco. He is SUCH a sweet, loving boy and he has had the worst life. He was originally a cruelty case, then was adopted and returned 3 times (not due to behavior) and his fourth adopters lost him and he was on the street for 2 months. Eventually he was picked up by Phila Police and was in very poor shape when he made it back to the shelter. I've had him in foster for the past month so that he could recover from his injuries and he's doing great.

The reason I am looking for help is that I can't foster long term. I am starting vet school next week so I have no income and probably won't have much time. I am worried that I will face a situation where I have to choose between fostering him and surviving vet school, so I am trying to find him someone now so he doesn't end up at the shelter at any point. Also, since he has had such bad luck in the past, I think it would be beneficial for his next adopters to be through rescue because the shelter doesn't do much in the way of screening, and I really want his fifth adopter to be his forever home.

A little about Choco: he is a 3 year old male neutered ABPT, 49 lbs. He is up to date on vaccines, heartworm negative, and up to date on heartworm and flea prevention. He is still taking medication for his skin (one of his problems was hair loss due to probable FAD) but it is looking so much better now. He is very people oriented and friendly with everyone. No issues with being handled in any way. He has lived successfully with cats and kids in the past, and he shows no interest in my rabbits (they are separated but he can see them). He is very food motivated and willing to learn. He knows sit, down, crate, come, paw, ah-ah (meaning stop that!), and is working on roll over. He is completely crate trained and loves his crate, and is house trained. He is ok being crated during the day for 8-10 hours while I work but if someone is home he wants to be in the same room as them (he has learned to sleep by himself and is ok with it now). He is iffy with other dogs, and I don't think he should ever be off leash with them, but he is able to go on walks with my friend's dog, and he is doing really well with learning to sit and look at me when another dog comes past him. When he's outside and gets excited, he gets his moments of jumping up and getting really mouthy but 99% of the time is really calm. He is the type of dog that is fine with playing in the yard and walking occasionally around the neighborhood and he's not very high energy.

I made a video of his story that's on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=504746523087
It tells the whole story of his life and everything that's happened to him - very sad.

I do have a potential adopter meet-and-greet on Sunday so I am hoping that goes through, but if it doesn't I really want to have more options lined up for him.

I just emailed several rescues in the area with this same description of him, but if anyone has any ideas of rescues, adopters, or longer-term fosters I would really appreciate it. He should not be in a home with other dogs unless the person is very, very pit-savvy and is willing to crate and rotate.

Thank you everyone!

sleeping at my house:

when he first was picked up by police, he's 15 lbs heavier now:
PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Re: rescue help - Philadelphia

Postby PITtsburgher » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:20 pm

please?
PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby Ilovethepits » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:33 pm

Did you contact haircrazie016 from here??? www.phillypaws.org. She might have some ideas.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby leila.quinn.82 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:40 pm

This is killing me, he sounds great and i am close by but I have an 8 month old male who requires every free minute and really not enough space or time to crate and rotate... Good luck!!!
leila.quinn.82
Newborn Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:27 pm

I'm not sure that PAWS would/could pull from PSPCA unfortunately. Thank you though!
PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:13 pm

As a recent veterinary graduate... having a dog was the best thing I ever did in school!!! I got my Romeo pup halfway through school, and he was my study break, my social life, my cheerleader, my distraction, my everything!!

Yeah, he had some long days in the kennel. Yeah, finances were tough... but we made it through, and I was happier and a better student with him around than I was before I got him.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby patty » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:16 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:As a recent veterinary graduate... having a dog was the best thing I ever did in school!!! I got my Romeo pup halfway through school, and he was my study break, my social life, my cheerleader, my distraction, my everything!!

Yeah, he had some long days in the kennel. Yeah, finances were tough... but we made it through, and I was happier and a better student with him around than I was before I got him.

:goodpost:

He sure looks comfy and well settled in your house. I'm sure he wouldn't mind waiting for you and a good snuggle!
patty
Forum Junky

Postby PITtsburgher » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:34 am

Still looking for a home!
He's doing much better physically and much better with other dogs. He even has a girlfriend now :)

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs