What do you look for in a rescue....

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

What do you look for in a rescue....

Postby pitbullgirlbc » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:17 am

So after much debating and discussing etc we have decided that we just cannot go with a breeder and would really like another rescue in the future. Although a staffordshire bull terrier would be great after seeing the amount of homeless dogs out there we have decided to adopt. Although we are waiting a little bit to get all of our ducks in a row and find out what breed(s) we like and if we want to stick with the bully breeds (most likely).

Anyways on to the question...what do you look for in a rescue? Buddy came from the SPCA so their adoption is a little different and I am thinking this time around we would like to go through a rescue so we have a little more information about the dog. Buddy's history is unknown which is fine but he came with issues that were unknown since he wasn't in foster care. So what do you look for in a rescue and what questions should we expect on an adoption form? Do rescues discriminate based on where you live?? We are looking at moving into a condo and it will not have a fenced in yard but the dog will receive daily walks and outings so is this a deal breaker for rescues?

What warning signs should we look for when talking to rescues?
pitbullgirlbc
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: What do you look for in a rescue....

Postby GSDBulldog » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:40 am

Pit bull rescues specifically...:

-A rather low turn-over rate. I am suspicious of "pit bull" rescues that place multiple dogs every week.

-An active involvement in the breed and the community.

-Knowledgeable foster homes that don't just warehouse the dog temporarily, but truly acclimate the dog to a home life while getting a feel for it's true temperament.

-A willingness to bend their rules for the right people (For example, the average rescue probably wouldn't consider me because I have intact dogs and dogs of both sexes).
GSDBulldog
Addicted to PBF

Postby Leah » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:09 am

I'm affiliated with HugABull, so I won't answer your questions.. definitely a bias there!... but I encourage you to check us out, as well as RespectABull and Bully Buddies.

HugABull will adopt to the right home regardless of renting or owning, fenced yard or not.
Leah
Newborn Bully

Postby pitbullgirlbc » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:46 pm

Yes Hugabull would be our first choice if we decide to keep with the bully breeds (really want the BF to research them more as he will be helping). I have talked with Lauren about possibly adopting from Hugabull in the future. We have a little bit of a list of what we will be looking for in the future as I would LOVE a dog to continue dock diving with since Buddy isn't really a good candidate for competing with.

BF would really like me to get a puppy but I am not going to make that the main criteria. I would love a dog to possibly do agility and flyball with as well and work towards a CGN/TT. Actually not a bit of a list quite a long list actually lol

I look at Hugabulls site quite a bit and Bully buddies but haven't heard of the other one. Also look at some outside of BC like back in Ontario and possibly California.

I would really love to stick with the bullies
pitbullgirlbc
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Red » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:06 am

Although a staffordshire bull terrier would be great after seeing the amount of homeless dogs out there we have decided to adopt.

There are SBTs in rescue as well. As a matter of fact I can think of a couple nice ones down here. If you decide to get a rescue SBT let me know and I'll send you in the right direction.
Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby pitbullgirlbc » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:23 am

If we could find a female SBT who fits the bill I would be beyond happy. I have wanted an SBT forever but you just don't see too many here in Canada that come into rescue. We are more then willing when the time comes to drive down to Cali to pick up a new addition we were going to when we were looking at breeders and are more then happy to do that for a rescue.
pitbullgirlbc
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Red » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:56 am

Ok, you let me know when the time comes.
Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby pitbullgirlbc » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:58 pm

Just another quick question would be how much extra work goes into training a deaf or blind dog? I am thinking we would really like to adopt a special needs dog.
pitbullgirlbc
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby kaytenmags » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:06 pm

pitbullgirlbc wrote:Just another quick question would be how much extra work goes into training a deaf or blind dog? I am thinking we would really like to adopt a special needs dog.

i had a deaf dog, and i LOVED it.
it was acctually quite an adjustment to get used to having a dog that could hear me. ie: i open the fridge, she comes running. oh, you heard that?
fireworks, doorbells, thunder... no problem! deaf dogs are awesome, and not really much harder to train. just different. :)
kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Adrianne » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:46 pm

GSDBulldog wrote:Pit bull rescues specifically...:

-A rather low turn-over rate. I am suspicious of "pit bull" rescues that place multiple dogs every week.

-An active involvement in the breed and the community.

-Knowledgeable foster homes that don't just warehouse the dog temporarily, but truly acclimate the dog to a home life while getting a feel for it's true temperament.

-A willingness to bend their rules for the right people (For example, the average rescue probably wouldn't consider me because I have intact dogs and dogs of both sexes).

:clap :clap :clap

I get overly frustrated with unbendable, illogical rules and even more so with the "look at how many I saved this week" rescuers.

If you're looking for an SBT I would contact the SBT clubs and offer yourself up for a needed rehoming or special needs rescue through them.
Adrianne
Regulator

Postby pitbullgirlbc » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:29 pm

Thanks everyone,

I think we are going to do some research on owning a deaf dog and see if it would be an option for us. I would love to own a deaf bully but want to do as much research as possible and find trainers in our area to help with training. I want to have all the information possible as this isn't really a small decision adding a second dog is a HUGE decision for us and well Buddy as well so we will need to find the perfect match for everyone.
pitbullgirlbc
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby MissKitty » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:25 pm

Stormi and I both have deaf dogs, if you want any information at all about them I would (can't speak for Stormi) be more than happy to tell you about my experience and answer any questions you have.
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby MissKitty » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:29 pm

^ Missed the part on you looking into blind dogs too!
I lost my blind dog in February to cancer. I have a soft spot for the disabled guys lol
Any questions you have, ask away!
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby pitbullgirlbc » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:16 pm

Well I guess a first question would be are there any books that might help us? I want to get the books now so I can do a bunch of reading as can my BF.

I am think if I am going to go with another pit bull I should probably go with a breed specific group as I am not sure how knowledgeable an all breed rescue would be but any opinions on this?
pitbullgirlbc
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby MissKitty » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:13 am

Here are some books-

http://www.deafdogs.org/resources/books/bdeaf.php

From what I understand there are not a massive amount of deaf dogs books floating around out there. I have not personally read any of the books, I had 'Living With A Deaf Dog' recommended to me...but I spent the money on a collar instead lol

I found my deaf dog (and deaf fosters), easy to train. Sometimes easier than hearing dogs! My dog, I treated the exact same as a hearing dog as far as training. He has been by far the most attentive, easiest dog I have ever trained.

I like this video, she has a lot of signs that I have used-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuFEQA7bxOo

I trained using a lot of these methods-
http://www.youtube.com/user/kikopup?blend=1&ob=4

Here is an excellent article from Stormi-
http://smartpaws.blogspot.com/2009_05_01_archive.html

A Facebook group for Deaf Animals in need of rescue-
http://www.facebook.com/#!/deafanimals

As for the second question, I have not really dealt with breed specific groups relating to deaf dogs. The all breed rescue I foster for has taken 12 or so deaf dogs. Once shelters know a rescue is willing to take deaf dogs, they start requesting transfer. The rescue I work with has only taken one deaf Pit Bull in, and I kept him. Most were of the deafies were Aussie or Aussie mixes.
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs