Looking for a puppy...Michigan

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Looking for a puppy...Michigan

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:15 pm

not for me roflmao

A friend of mine is starting to look for a puppy. He recently lost his 4 year old American Bulldog to cancer. I have swayed him to rescue if I can find a pup that will meet what he is looking for. If not he will be looking for a reputable breeder. I am quite please with his intent.

He originally was looking for a blue or blue brindle dog. Although now I think I have him interested in any brindle. Obviously he wants a healthy pup with a good temperament.

He is married with 2 kids and has done research on the breed and is familiar with bully breeds having owned a American Bulldog.

I have been looking through pet finder, but if anyone knows of any rescues in the area that have taken in some puppies please let me know.

Also is anyone familiar with forever friends rescue from Davison?
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Re: Looking for a puppy...Michigan

Postby AmberD » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:13 pm

I don't have experience with Forever Friends... I think they're a fairly recent group (in the past 2 years), but I am thankful to any and all rescues in the area who will take Pit Bulls, because most will not. Our Animal Control is very anti-pit and will not adopt them out, and more local rescues are turning down pit bulls because they don't get adopted quickly enough.

I talked to the president of PAWS rescue, which shows at the PetSmart in Grand Blanc, and they have a few red & white babies, and one young brindle pit bull mix. It's crazy, because it seems like they ALWAYS have pit bull puppies, and now when I'm looking for one (well, not me), they seem to have a shortage :eek:

Is he in a big hurry?
AmberD
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:24 pm

I don't think so...but I could be wrong. I pretty much told him either way will take a little time.

His American bulldog was from a BYB...I tried to explain before he got him. he is now well aware of what BYB's are and will not go that route. He was originally looking for a reputable breeder, but some friends(myself included) all have rescue pit bulls and have swayed him that route.

I did tell him that if it was me personally with a family and young children I would go with an adult rescue out of a foster home, but he really wants a puppy and I am sure his oldest daughter does too. She was pretty upset about losing diesel(the American Bulldog)
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby zephyr » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:44 pm

There are a few very cute pups at the Muskegon shelter right now, including a beautiful light brindle boy....Pound Buddies could give you more info on them I'm sure.
zephyr
Newborn Bully

Postby dogs4jen » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:24 am

They've got several American Bulldogs and mixes over there in Muskegan, I just looked at their website. That's where Austin is from, he's partly American Bulldog. They did just get some puppies there too, they sent out an e-mail looking for fosters.
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/MI185.html
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:24 pm

He wants a pit bull though, not an American Bulldog. I told him to give me a couple days and I would get back to work. My heart just hurt last night looking at all the puppies in need!
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby buckaroo » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:15 pm

buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby dogs4jen » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:09 am

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. They have some really cute pit bull puppies on their website too. :)
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby FBODGRL » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:48 am

no problem.

I keep trying to get him away from color. But some people want what they want. Somehow whenever I think I want a dog or a cat of a certain color I end up with something totally different anyway lol
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby dogs4jen » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:31 pm

I know, me too. I never would have picked a white dog, but now I have Austin and love him. A lot of people say it's not a great idea to get a puppy from a shelter, you might want to tell him that. I got Roscoe from a shelter as a puppy, and we love him like crazy, but he's got elbow dysplasia and a not so great temperament, probably from not being socialized before we got him.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:52 pm

What about a young adult? There's an amazing doofus of a ginormous white American Bulldog at the shelter I volunteer at...

He's an absolute LOVE...

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/17949353
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:53 pm

nope...he wants a pit bull puppy. Preferably 8-12 weeks. Although I think he would go a little older if he found the right dog.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:23 am

The cedar Rapids shelter just got two 8 weekish red or red brindle am bully types. They are big beefy puppies, ridiculously cute with underbites and everything. I can check next week and see if they are still there...
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Torin » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:41 pm

Here is one in Muskegon:

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/17756004

Shoot me a message if you need a breeder reference. I definitely applaud getting a rescue though.
Torin
Adolescent Bully

Postby Torin » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:47 pm

Torin
Adolescent Bully

Next

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs