Home in Dallas looking for new family member... Now what?

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Home in Dallas looking for new family member... Now what?

Postby nessa » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:14 pm

So after discussing for a month or so, the SO and I have decided we have room in our home and hearts for another dog. I've been perusing the rescue sites, petfinder etc. We want a dog for us, and for the boys. I want a girl to have as a princess and to up the estrogen quotient in the house. We want a girl since we have two boys, and a third Y chrom is out of the question. We want a young dog to have the energy and interest to be a play partner for Dyson, so Kirby can opt out when he's feeling like he wants some alone time. So we are really looking for someone around Dyson's ~10 month age range. We would prefer to adopt from a foster so the dog's personality is vetted and we not only have a better chance of success, but also a chance to make sure that all three dogs, and humans are compatible and have good chemistry before committing to adoption.
I know there will be a home check so what all are they going to look for other than safe, secure perimeters and not living in a pigsty? I've already got my eye on two, and have met briefly with one of the groups at Petsmart. I'd like to address any potential issues before I REALLY get seriously invested.
In our area we can have 6 pets, legally and we have 5, so that is taken care of. Financially, we can afford another pet, and vet care won't be an issue since the SO is one.
We have always just let dogs come into our life by chance, other than one dog I adopted from a breeder in Germany almost 20 years ago. It feels a little odd to actually be actively looking for a family member.
I feel so overwhelmed by all the choices, what if I miss the perfect girl because I'm looking in the wrong place, or looking for the wrong things.
So what else would you guys recommend us doing before we actually start meeting potential princesses?
nessa
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Home in Dallas looking for new family member... Now what

Postby Odnarb » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:22 pm

Are you going to name her Eureka or Hoover?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Odnarb
Regulator

Postby nessa » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:19 am

Eureka, we have already had a Hoover. Maybe call hger rika. Might keep her name depending on how attached she is to it, don't want to confuse her?
nessa
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby nessa » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:48 am

Or Electra-Lux :nana: :nana: :nana:
nessa
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby ilovetyson » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:50 am

Too bad your not in Florida! lol One of the rescues I am helping right now has a 45lbs Female Am Staff about a yr old. She is deaf.. But knows some hand signals.. and loves EVERYONE. Kids.. dogs.. Cats.. Everyone. crate / housebroken..

Sooo if your willing to travel... Lol! ;)
ilovetyson
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs