Shelters: ALTER YOUR DOGS before adopting!

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Re: Shelters: ALTER YOUR DOGS before adopting!

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:45 pm

The shelter I adopted Tank from in Horn Lake, MS does nothing with their dogs they adopt out. They are not wormed, vaccinated, spayed/neutered or anything. The real crappy thing is that TONS of Pit bulls are taken in by that shelter and adopt out unaltered and they will basically just adopt out to anyone that walks though the doors. They are a rural shelter though and are low on funds which is the reason why.

It really sucks and I still do not understand why some shelters adopt out dogs who are unaltered.
Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby lilangel » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:14 am

What I would like to know is why more vets don't offer free services to shelters. It's all deductible.
lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby BabyReba » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:40 pm

lilangel wrote:What I would like to know is why more vets don't offer free services to shelters. It's all deductible

You know, when I was living in Baltimore, I actually went to multiple vet hospitals and asked them to volunteer time and spay/neuter services for the city shelter. Got almost no response. The only vets who were willing to help out at that time were the ones who were already doing things for and with the shelter--one was on the board of the Friends of the Baltimore Animal Shelter, and the other was the one vet in the city at the time who was willing to help multiple rescues as well. It was a weird experience.
BabyReba
Regulator

Previous

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs