looking for a blue pitbull female to adopt

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

looking for a blue pitbull female to adopt

Postby katejoyree » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:23 pm

hi, i'm looking for a blue female to adopt im in kalamazoo MI kinda want her with cropped ears and a year or yonger
katejoyree
Newborn Bully

Re: looking for a blue pitbull female to adopt

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:40 pm

Check out petfinder http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?ani ... distance=0

Contact these people possibly? Tell them what you're looking for if they don't have it currently they can let you know once they have what you're looking for.
http://pitbull.rescueme.org/Michigan
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/MI99.html

Please just keep in mind that while everyone has their prefrence in appearance, don't turn down a perfect dog if it doesn't have your specific modifications in mind. I personally would base my decision more on personality, and then on looks.
trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby GoingPostal » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:42 pm

How far are you willing to drive? I looked on petfinder and didn't really see any too close that fit those requirements, but some of the smaller shelters may not list on there. I will say you'd be better off ignoring color and focusing on temperament though, I picked one of my dogs on looks alone and he is a monster lol, although very sweet and our newest dog is not one I would have picked, she's bigger than I like and not a color I really admire (brindle) but she fits in great and is such a good dog. I see there's a blue girl a little older than you wanted local on petfinder who just had a litter that sounds really nice and her puppies, I would take that Mo'at girl in an instant. There's also a puppy with some crazy ears that might be blue, can't tell from the pic.
GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:50 pm

Go temperament first, health second, color dead last if you want a good dog. You find a lot of blues with issues, both health and temperament due to irresponsible backyard breeding. I'd go with an adult if you want to be sure to find one healthy and nice. I wouldn't get one younger than 18 months myself.
Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:22 pm

:goodpost: :goodpost:

& by waiting 18 months, I'm guessing so you know it's personality will be set? OP, they're not done growing physically/mentally until about 2 years... so I think that's why she is mentioning that.

There are many things to base what dog you chose on, but temperment is definately most important. There are just so many factors, and you have to find a dog that fits in your home. Do you have other pets, does the dog need to get along with cats, will the dog be living with children, how much daily exercize will you be providing, etc etc? So many things factor in and come before color. You could find a beautiful blue dog, but it may not fit your home.

& what she means about issues with blue dogs is that because they're kind of the fad... they're over produced with no regard to health or temperment. So many BYBers are producing them left and right because that's what's selling/demanded. Many times these problems do not show while puppies, and people are so focused on color that the dogs are the ones to suffer later in life.

Amy please correct me, I don't want to sound like I'm trying to put words in your mouth. :) Was just hopefully trying to expand reasoning in case they didn't know why you were saying those things. I agree with you 100%
trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby katejoyree » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:33 pm

ok thank you all so much for the information it has helped alot. i am rethinking about geting a pitbull as of yet. i love the breed but dont think im ready for the huge responsabily of a pitbull IE domanance tranning. im thinking of getting a lab first. again thank you all for the kind words and support. and great info.
katejoyree
Newborn Bully

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:55 am

I am curious what you mean about "IE domanance " training? Are you talking about things like being the pack leader and things of that nature?
- You might find this information useful http://drsophiayin.com/philosophy/dominance/

Labs do not have the stigma attached to their name, but I can assure you no matter what dog you get it will be alot of work. You will need to train a lab just as much as you would need to train your pitbull. I also know that they can have just as much energy. Please look into positive reinfocement training no matter what breed you get. Look for training facilites in your area that focus on that, and do research on clicker training.
trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:51 pm

A temperament correct pit bull should be appropriately people soft, eager to please and a pleasure to train. If you get a young dog you will need to provide it with training and plenty of exercise. Pit bulls generally don't tend to be people dominant, they can be more to manage around other pets but I have not had very many in 15 years that "challenged me" or behaved in a dominant manner to me. A pit bull is not a guarding breed.

If you want to start out with a lab type, you need to consider what you are going to get. Are you going to rescue a settled adult, purchase a BYB puppy or a dog from show/pet stock or working stock....you will get a variety of drives and energy levels. A dog from a working back ground will be different from a dog from a pet background although you can get a variety that crosses the spectrum.
Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs