Service trained pits in a MO shelter

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
peachypadgett

Service trained pits in a MO shelter

Postby peachypadgett » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:27 pm

Ok I just got an e-mail saying there are two Service trained pits in the Independance MO shelter! they were aparenty given up by owner. These dogs are avaliable to any one... I kinda think something should be done though, I mean service trained!? these dogs should be going to someone who needs them! Go somewhere where they can serve like they were trained to... anyone have any ideas? I would love to scoop them upself but alas that would mean a big old fight with the hubby.... :sad:

I have thought for some time bullies should be more utilized as service dogs. Now I find out two are in a shelter 8(

The dogs are:
Lady Tarmen (# 3536), brown and 5 yrs old and
Princess Roxie (# 3535) is a brindle 4 yr old.

Heres the link to the shleter but I couln't find the two dogs on their site?
http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/MO105.html

I will be researching this more though!

Diane Jessup

re

Postby Diane Jessup » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:19 am

Not to be a wet rag, but very often people will consider their dogs "service trained" if they have figured out the whole service dog scam thing. For instance, I had a woman come in and get a free license for her 8 week old chihuahua because it was a "service dog". Why? Becasue she has panic attacks.

I mean we have had "attack trained/seeing eye" chow chows, you name it, people have tried to scam it.

These dogs MAY be service trained, or it could be they simply provided support for someone with mental issues. Also, be aware that even professionally trained "service dogs" are often ill mannered little beasts. I have found this to be particularily true of Hearing Dogs coming out of Colorado.

ShadowWolf
Forum Junky

Re: re

Postby ShadowWolf » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:22 am

Diane Jessup wrote:Not to be a wet rag, but very often people will consider their dogs "service trained" if they have figured out the whole service dog scam thing. For instance, I had a woman come in and get a free license for her 8 week old chihuahua because it was a "service dog". Why? Becasue she has panic attacks.

I mean we have had "attack trained/seeing eye" chow chows, you name it, people have tried to scam it.

These dogs MAY be service trained, or it could be they simply provided support for someone with mental issues. Also, be aware that even professionally trained "service dogs" are often ill mannered little beasts. I have found this to be particularily true of Hearing Dogs coming out of Colorado.

Seriously? Criminey...that's stupid, especially since you should have a mental health professional write a note saying a service dog would be good for the patient...

peachypadgett

Postby peachypadgett » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:32 am

Diane- whoa I never knew that, though I kinda wondered if maybe the dogs weren'r "service trained" so much as home trained to do little tasks, like retrive items or something...

Thing is right now no ones for sure, cause even though the owner said they were trained, when someone else on my list called the shelter about the dogs, the shelter said they have no idea what the dogs actually know how to do or what the cammands are for the dogs...

so it's kinda up in the air :sad:

if they are really service trained though, shouldn't they go to someone who needs them? This shelter has them available to anyone, and that means it possible someone wanting to fight them could get them! and though I think it diplorable that ANY dog get fought I find it really upseting to think that these two who might be ambassadors to what the breed can be, end up as fighters...

And even if they go to a good home, that still kinda sucks, cause they could have more potential than that.

peachypadgett

Postby peachypadgett » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:16 pm

I just found out a rescue in St. Louis Mo scooped these two up :))
so hopefully all will be well for them!

cisom
Matured Bully

Postby cisom » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:01 pm

Do you know the rescue's name in St. Louis?

saturn2
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Service trained pits in a MO shelter

Postby saturn2 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:19 pm

peachypadgett wrote:The dogs are:
Lady Tarmen (# 3536), brown and 5 yrs old and
Princess Roxie (# 3535) is a brindle 4 yr old.

Heres the link to the shleter but I couln't find the two dogs on their site?
http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/MO105.html

I just looked today and both dogs are listed on the Independence shelter site ... they're gorgeous!

~Sharon

Darlazmum
Forum Junky

Postby Darlazmum » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:50 pm

Maybe the owner actually had died or had to go to a home....maybe they were surrendered by relatives..just an idea

saturn2
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby saturn2 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:24 pm

I heard that a man brought the dogs in and said that they were trained service dogs and that he could no longer care for them because he had to care for his elderly mother.

~Sharon

Diane Jessup

re

Postby Diane Jessup » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:19 pm

Not only do you not have to have a note - it is ILLEGAL TO ASK a person what their disability is or what the dog does...

That is what sucks. There is no national certification, so ANYONE can (and does) just say they need the dog for this or that and they are in. Dogs are often not trained at all.

Some lovely people here have some Goldens that are very, very dog aggressive. Before I got to know them well, I met them in line at PetSmart. They have their "service dogs" on prong collars (sign #1 the dogs are not trained) and the dogs were lunging and barking at my dog (non service dog sitting in heel position with flat collar :roll: ). So I asked them, what are those dogs service dogs for? (They had about 20 pounds of Service Dog backpacks and stuff on them...) So they tell me because - get this - they have arthritis in their hands.... roflmao roflmao

I was like (cause I'm a smartass) well, uhm, isn;t it tough on your hands to have to try and control those dogs? I notice they have prong collars on - shouldn't you get them TRAINED so they can be at heel without a prong collar?

Anyway, we have gone on to become friends (professionally) but they - to me - are a classic example of the whole "service dog" scam.

caped dog
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby caped dog » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:48 pm

DJ roflmao

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”