Female Brindle needs a home-someone please help!

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
cszymanski82

Female Brindle needs a home-someone please help!

Postby cszymanski82 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:13 pm

This really hurts me but I have to find a home for my baby (Denali) She is a 3 y/o Staffordshire and current on all shots, she is also fixed. She has lived with a male AmStaff most of her life. My girlfriend recently moved in with her male Doberman and now Denali is turning on the AmStaff. I don't understand why she is doing this but I can't keep her around, she needs a home where she will either be an only dog or have only 1 male living with her. I'm located in the metro Atlanta area. She is free to a good home which I would do a home check on. If you're interested send me a pm or email me chris_amcinc@bellsouth.net

Image[/img]

Scooch&Beau
Super Bully

Postby Scooch&Beau » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:33 pm

You don't have to give up Denali! Just keep them all seperated. Don't rush any intro's btw Denali and the Doberman. If she's lived with a male amstaff for almost her whole life, I'm sure with time they can learn to tolerate each other with STRICT supervision.

A lady I volunteer with has had a foster that is EXTREMELY dog aggressive, has been all 3 years she had her. Well, after 3 years of her living under the same roof as the resident female pit bull and resident male pit mix, they JUST did an "intro." Now they can all be in the same room together (un-baby gated) and pretty much just ignore each others existence. THERE IS HOPE! If this dog can do it, I know your baby can!

Please do not give up on her, her life depends on YOU! Here is a link with info on crating and rotating. Remember, it'll suck SOOO bad for the first few weeks but then once you develope a consistent routine, it'll be as if you've done it for years!

http://www.pbrc.net/rotate.html

Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby Kirstan » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:06 pm

You committed to this dog and this breed when you got two of them. You need to work the 'crate and rotate' thing out in your house - it's not as tough as it appears. Put some obedience work into these dogs - make sure no one is roaming around unsupervised and work this out for your dog. It is not her fault that this situation is what it is and YOU can change it.

One last thing - have you any idea how hard it is to adopt out an all brindle pit bull?

kirstan

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:17 pm

cszymanski82 - If this sounds harsh, I'm sorry. But when you own an APBT (or AmStaff) you have to be prepared for the possibility that she wont always get along with other dogs. Giving up a Pit Bull for just now starting to show aggression is like giving up a Saint Bernard for being too big. If you've got room enough for 3 dogs in your house, you should also have room enough to keep them seperated.

How long has it been, anyway? You say "recently," how recent is that? There may just have to be a resettling among the ranks, and then its possible that things may smooth over. Or its possible that you may have to seperate. But no matter if she lives with you or with someone else, she may always have to be seperated. There is no guarantee that she will get along with only 1 male.

The reality is, it would be difficult if not impossible to place this girl in an only-dog home. She would be better off with you at any rate. If a new dog coming into her home is stressful, can you imagine how stressful it would be for her to have to ship off to a whole new one now that she's mature?

Think about it, please. For her sake.

cszymanski82

Postby cszymanski82 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:11 am

You think this is an easy decision for me to make!? I made the mistake of offering to let my g/f move in with her Doberman when her lease ran out and her brother moved back to CA. Now after the g/f has witnessed a couple fight s and actually had to be in the middle of one by herself when I was away from the house she is scared to death to be around them. I've thought this over long and hard for the past month. Should I chose the dog over the girlfriend? I KNOW she will be fine with one other dog b/c I've had an assortment of foster dogs come in and out of my house and when there'e just one male they get along great but as soon as another male is introduced a fight beaks out. Sometimes I feel like she thinks she's a male dog. I've had two male Pits in the house and they get along great but SHE is the one who always attacks one. Even if I crate her she sits in her crate and stares down one pit in particular. I know putting her in another home is going to be hard on her but it's going to be hard on me to. I'll keep her if someone will adopt my g/f (she's house broken!)

cszymanski82

Postby cszymanski82 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:28 am

Kirstan wrote:One last thing - have you any idea how hard it is to adopt out an all brindle pit bull?

kirstan

That's the STUPIDEST thing I've ever heard, The whole reason I got Denali was b/c she was a brindle. Everybody has their own preference as to what color dog they prefer.

That's like saying you're never going to find a date b/c you're a blonde! or b/c you have freakles!

Boo439

Postby Boo439 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:49 pm

cszymanski82 wrote:
Kirstan wrote:One last thing - have you any idea how hard it is to adopt out an all brindle pit bull?

kirstan

That's the STUPIDEST thing I've ever heard, The whole reason I got Denali was b/c she was a brindle. Everybody has their own preference as to what color dog they prefer.

That's like saying you're never going to find a date b/c you're a blonde! or b/c you have freakles!

Kirstan is very involved in pit bull rescue. She should know which color pit bulls get adopted more. Just because you chose a brindle dog, you're not proving anything except you were that 1 in 50 (or whatever the ratio is... Kirstan?) that chooses a brindle dog.

evolquardts

Postby evolquardts » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:22 pm

I honestly thought brindle would be easier to adopt out, but then again I personally LOVE brindle, so I'm probably biased. :inlove:

Boo439

Postby Boo439 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:26 pm

I know that whenever there are pit bulls in the local shelters around here, I'd honestly say that 80% of them are all brindle or mostly brindle with some white. It probably depends where in the U.S. you are, so I can see why a lot of people would think brindles are easy to adopt out. It's been my experience from my local shelters and from scanning PBRC, brindles seem to stick around longer. There was one a few cities over from me that was all brindle and in foster care for 2 years and he was finally PTS. I don't know why, I didn't ask. I can only guess that there was just no hope for the poor guy. :(

cszymanski82

Postby cszymanski82 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:56 pm

Thanks for your concern, I came here hoping to find a good home for a dog that I love. I've talked to allot of friends/family about the decisoin and prayed about it allot. I personally don't want to get rid of her but know that I'm out of options. If I could turn back time a few months I would tell my g/f to find her own place but the fact is she's here now and so is her dog. Levi (Doberman) and Soze (AmStaff) both males get along great. I've tried secluding all the dogs and she tells me that she is still scared. Denali under no circumstance will be put down or sent to a home where I can't meet the people first. If you can't help that's fine but I don't need your opinnions telling me I'm a bad owner or that I've quit on my dog. I'm not asking you to take her in and shelter her for me, I put this ad out hoping someone looking to adopt a Pit might see it and consider her.

Boo439

Postby Boo439 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:05 pm

Please don't get too discouraged. It's just that we see this all too often. This is a first for you, but it seems like weekly there is someone whose situation just isn't ideal for their dog(s) anymore. Many, many people on this board live in multi-dog and multi-pit homes. If you are willing to work at it, it is possible to keep Denali. I have 2 pit bulls and 1 GSD. I am also taking in a foster pretty soon. I've learned to deal with dog-aggression and I know it can be handled safely. I wish you the best in whatever you decide for your dog's sake.

Marilyn

Postby Marilyn » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:10 pm

If you can't help that's fine but I don't need your opinnions telling me I'm a bad owner or that I've quit on my dog. I'm not asking you to take her in and shelter her for me, I put this ad out hoping someone looking to adopt a Pit might see it and consider her.

Denali--no one is telling you that you're a bad owner, they are just trying to tell you that you have options. There are alot of options available to you in this situation. Rehoming should be your truly last resort. If you aren't open to options and you just want to get rid of your dog no matter how much great advice your given then please let us know and we will stop giving you advice.

Obedience training is essential. I don't know where you live but sign up for some classes. You and your girlfriend can do it together, it will be just like a date. Buy two dog crates, you can probably get by with just one. While one dog is out, keep the other crated. Work out a schedule. Make sure you have a break stick or stun baton in the house for emergencies. Give it some time and use common sense, things may work out in the end. Also, there are alot of threads about house fights. If you read those they have alot of good advice.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:13 pm

Sorry you're getting frustrated with the responses, but people are telling you the truth. I think most of the people on this board have more than one dog, so finding her a one-dog home here is going to be difficult. If you're seperating the dogs and its working, your g/f shouldn't be scared, she should be careful.

Good luck either way.

Edited to add: Loki's breeder keeps six or seven dogs, and most all of them are HOT. No fights, because they aren't allowed to happen. If you're dedicated and careful, it can be done.

cszymanski82

Postby cszymanski82 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:39 pm

Are you saying it's safe to use a stun gun on dogs? It crossed my mind once for emergency's if the g/f was home alone but I was scared of what it might do to the dogs. If there is an approved stunner please feel me in.

Boo439

Postby Boo439 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:55 pm

Yes, many, many people have stun batons. This thread was actually bumped up over in general. You might want to check it out. http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=24567

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”