What to do w/ a found dog?

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

What to do w/ a found dog?

Postby SKoth » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:50 pm

So on wednesday Christian and I found a black lab mix wandering in the street here in Chicago. We looked in the immediate area to see if anyone was looking for him but no one was. Since it started to storm we put him in the car and took him to the ER to see if he was micochipped since he wasn't wearing any tags. Sure enough no microchip so we went home. I filed a report with the police district that the dog was in and posted ads on petfinder and an911. We also called 8 animal hospitals in the area he was found and left our information. So far there has been no response. This guys is absolutely perfect. He seems to be well cared for, housebroken, good on leash, sweet, calm and very well behaved. I'd prefer not to take him to Animal Care and Control because it's such a cluster f*@%. I have always done APBT rescue and we know people are almost never looking for these guys. What do you guys think? How long should I look for an owner before putting him up for adoption? (IL state law requires shelters to hold dogs for 7 days) I'd love to hear any suggestions on handling this guy?
SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby pocketpit » Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:00 pm

I'd give it a couple of weeks. I don't know if your local paper will do this but ours allows you to run a free found pet ad for like 3 days.
pocketpit

Postby mnp13 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:00 pm

I would contact online rescue groups. It's amazing how many people you can reach that way. Email them the best description you can, and post a picture on a website somewhere and put a link to it. Don't attach a picture, bacause many lists can't take attachments.

Watch the paper for a 'lost/stray' ad.

Unfortunately, some dogs get loose while people are on vacation, so the dog could be owned by someone who was just passing through the area.

Your biggest 'audience' will be the internet.

Michelle
mnp13

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs