Spay/aborts - need info please!

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Spay/aborts - need info please!

Postby Rumpley » Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:50 pm

Okay, are Canadian vets behind the times or what? They've said to me numerous times today "a what?" As far as I knew, many rescues use these procedures, if need be.

While I understand this is an "ethical" question (and I don't want this thread to turn into that :roll: ) would they prefer we bring yet another 10 puppies into the world?

How come in the States this can be done, and up here, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack? While I understand it's increased risk, so is whelping.
Rumpley
Bully Ambassador

Postby dawgdays » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:08 pm

Rumpley, Shelter experienced vets are usually willing to do them, so ask your local shelter(s) who they contract out for vetcare. Good luck. I hope you have enough time to find someone who can help you!
dawgdays
www.BadRap.org

Postby HugABull1 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:03 pm

dawgdays - believe me, we've been doing that.

Our shelters just let the little buggers have puppies. Ugh. Not only do we not need another 10 or so pups of unknown parentage to be reared and placed, we also would rather not have the bitch go through all that. She's very young, underweight, and doesn't need to have pups!!!

All of the vets we're contacting, including the vets who work with the rescues and shelters are saying they don't want to do it because they can't tell for sure how far along the dog is (we don't even know for certain she's knocked up, just suspect it), and there's a high-risk with spay/aborts, and they would feel liable should anything go wrong.

I brought up the point of there also being a high-risk with whelping, and the reply I got was "but then it's not OUR fault" :po: The vets are all saying if she's more than 15 days preggers they are extremely reluctant to do it, and if she's 3 weeks along, they flat out won't.

The real kicker is, if we hadn't been upfront and said "we suspect she may be pregnant", we could've just spayed her and paid the difference if they found pups once they got in there. But now the cat's out of the bag and everyone's so worried about liability that they're losing sight of the big picture, which is this poor dog should NOT have to go through having puppies, and the world does not need any more homeless pups!!!! :protest:
HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby dawgdays » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:08 pm

oh crap.

can you try another town? or, I'd be happy to put your vet in touch with my vet if they want to compare notes on late term spay/aborts.

my vet will be ALL over them to do the damn procedure.

and there's a high-risk with spay/aborts, and they would feel liable should anything go wrong.

tell them you'll sign a waiver. tell them this practice is ROUTINE in the pit bull crowded states. tell them major overpupulation and man eating pit bulls are on their way to Canada if they don't get with the program!
dawgdays
www.BadRap.org

Postby dawgdays » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:10 pm

oh crap.

can you try another town? or, I'd be happy to put your vet in touch with my vet if they want to compare notes on late term spay/aborts.

my vet will be ALL over them to do the damn procedure.
dawgdays
www.BadRap.org

Postby HugABull1 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:34 pm

dawgdays - can you PM me your offer and your vet's contact info? It'd be nice to be able to show the vets around here that we're not just brutal "puppy killers", but dealing with the harsh realities of rescue, and trying to fight overpopulation, not contribute to it. :roll:
HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby pocketpit » Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:37 am

If you don't have any luck, perhaps you could bring her over the border. Pain in the :moon: I know, but worth not having more pups brought into the world and all the work it takes to raise and place them. Any idea how far along she might be? Ultrasound is one suggestion and if she's beyond 45 days, an x-ray would tell you everything you need to know.
pocketpit

Postby Boo439 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:48 am

I've done it with mama cats I've caught, spayed and re-released. 10 kittens here, 12 there. That's all we need.
Boo439

Postby Steph-n-Wolf » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:42 pm

Please contact the Feral Cat Coalition for some great info and suggestions on the benifits of spaying a pregnant stray/rescue. They may be able to talk to a vet or make further suggestions. It is so standard here that I didn't even think about it being a question elsewhere. We do it with rescues all of the time. It can even be done very far along, though I have a hard time justifying it once you can feel the babies. It is a hard ethical subject on an emotional level, but when you work on the other end (rescue) your views and ethic priorities change drastically. We are having this battle with my husband's brother that lives in Missouri... his animals keep mating and breeding... "but kittens are fun!".... Grrrrr!!!!! He was horrified at the thought of spaying a cat that was possibly pregnant. If you can cross over to the US, that may simplify things this time, but finding a vet that is willing to work with you and learn new things is important in the long run.... but good luck on that! :roll:
Steph-n-Wolf

Postby HugABull1 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:24 pm

Well - it seems like it will work out. Rumpley had the dog looked at by a different vet yesterday, who doesn't think she's pregnant, so the spay is scheduled.

We've been able to track down some local vets who will apparently do spay/aborts for rescue rates, so we should have the problem covered should it come up again.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!!! :))
HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Help with neuter fees

Postby KimberlyGeorge26 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:04 pm

I live in the Portland OR area, and I have a year old male that needs to be neutered. I however, am recently unemployed. I didn't plan on this, and have run out of options. The plan was to get it done last Aug 10 but I couldn't come up with the money. Are there any organizations out there that can help? I would appreciate any help there is.
KimberlyGeorge26

Postby HugABull1 » Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:11 pm

I know there are definitely programs out there to help - here in BC Canada we have the SNAP (spay and neuter assistance program). I can't remember what the US one is called though - contact your local humane society and they should be able to help you!

And thanks for wanting to fix your dog! :))
HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby Steph-n-Wolf » Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:53 pm

I live in Oregon as well... I suggest that you look up POPPA INC (do a "google" search) I think that it has something like "Pet Over Population Panic" in the title. The will send a check to your vet to cover the cost of a spay/neuter if they have funds available. I think that they have a garden run by volunteers that produces plants to sell for the income assistance. Perhaps you could contact them, explain your situation, and then let them know that in exchange for assistance you are willing to volunteer where they need you most. Perhaps you will end up networking with other wonderful animal lovers... Anyway, it is a good thing to check out. Please also call SPOT (Stop Pet Over Population Today) out of Eugene. Look it up on line. I am not sure what they can do to help, but it is a great place to get suggestions and possible resourses. Another idea is contacting your Animal Control Office; some have low-cost spay and neuter programs, and they may also be able to direct you to a vet that offers the service cheap. The Animal Regulations Office here in Eugene has a clinic that aint too bad on prices, and you do not have to live in Eugene to use it. South Salem Companion Animal Clinic has great prices as well. Call them to find out info and make an appointment - it involves a trip to Salem, but the prices may be worth it. Try calling Oregon Humane Society, as well. They have been very helpful to us in the past with assistance with some large-scale rescues... they may have some suggestions for you. Good luck, and thank you for being willing to do the right thing.
Steph-n-Wolf

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs