Pepsi-Bad news..

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
aschen_enegl
Bully Ambassador

Pepsi-Bad news..

Postby aschen_enegl » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:30 am

I sent this email out to the woman with the rescue:

"Hey Barbara,

Well, we tried to introduce Pepsi with our other dogs. Don't get me wrong he is a great dog, loves to cuddle with children and adults, there's just one problem were having (I don't know why he's acted this way towards mine and not others) but he is extremely dog-aggressive. We tried introducing him to my Boston Terrier and he kept snapping at her if I let him any closer to her I would be affraid of what might've happened. He was whinning wanting near her to snap at her (I know playing from not playing..this wasn't playing). So I thought maybe it was just her.. Me and my friend, Christy, whom was there witnessing everything, decided to go to petsmart and get a comfort muzzle (just to prevent him from snapping at my other dogs for a bit). We put it on him as a test of safety for my dogs. We brought in my female pit bull (whom might I say is extremely submissive), she stood there, we let Pepsi get near her and he went into an aggressive lunge at her growling and trying to snap through the muzzle (as if he were trained to attack other dogs). I don't know what to do, he is a great loving dog but he's too dog aggressive with our dogs. Please let me know what we can/should do.

Thanks,
Maurena"

I do have to say, I believe he was probably trained to fight. A dog that good looking in that kind of condition without someone claiming him, had to have been wanting to fight him. I love him to pieces and it breaks my heart to see him behave this way. I love this dog to death, he has grown on me extremely. I can only hope which decision we chose to go with on him, would be the best for him and everyone else. Please keep him in your prayers, this dog really is a good dog with people..just not with other dogs like everyone said he was.

Ursa Arctos
Forum Junky

Postby Ursa Arctos » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:42 am

Sigh.. pitbulls do not need to be trained to properly fight. Some dogs just run hotter than others, thats all.

It's just "one of those things" that responsible guardians of this breed need to understand. Some APBTs, though stellar with all people, will never be able to really be around other dogs. It's just... a fact of life.

So, is Pepsi back with you now? I would suggest doing a LOT of obediance with Pepsi. While you can't ever really push out the tendency to be dog aggressive, with extensive training, you should be able to control him through "Look at me" commands and Down/sits. Also, I would suggest working with a trainer and try very, very slow socialization so you can get him to the point where he can at least not lunge at strange dogs on walks.

He may never be a good candidate for living with other dogs- so it's your task to train him, socialize him, and either find a wonderfully expirienced pitbull owner who is willing to crate and rotate their dogs, or find someone who only wants one dog and is willing to work with the challenges of having a very DA animal.

aschen_enegl
Bully Ambassador

Postby aschen_enegl » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:52 am

Ursa Arctos wrote:Sigh.. pitbulls do not need to be trained to properly fight. Some dogs just run hotter than others, thats all.

It's just "one of those things" that responsible guardians of this breed need to understand. Some APBTs, though stellar with all people, will never be able to really be around other dogs. It's just... a fact of life.

So, is Pepsi back with you now? I would suggest doing a LOT of obediance with Pepsi. While you can't ever really push out the tendency to be dog aggressive, with extensive training, you should be able to control him through "Look at me" commands and Down/sits. Also, I would suggest working with a trainer and try very, very slow socialization so you can get him to the point where he can at least not lunge at strange dogs on walks.

He may never be a good candidate for living with other dogs- so it's your task to train him, socialize him, and either find a wonderfully expirienced pitbull owner who is willing to crate and rotate their dogs, or find someone who only wants one dog and is willing to work with the challenges of having a very DA animal.

My friend Christy is willing to help me work on him with his training, we spoke about this yesterday. We'll try an hour a day with easy commands to get him use to it.. and we'll give him time with our dogs..and hopefully see some change in him. I'm not ready to give up on him. I was crying all night thinking about what to do.. and it upset me at his reaction to my dogs.

aschen_enegl
Bully Ambassador

Postby aschen_enegl » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:52 am

And yea, he is at home with us.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:55 am

aschen_enegl wrote:.. and we'll give him time with our dogs..and hopefully see some change in him. I'm not ready to give up on him. I was crying all night thinking about what to do.. and it upset me at his reaction to my dogs.

I'm a bit confused. Are you upset because you were expecting a dog friendly dog? Was he tested around other dogs at the shelter?Is there no way to keep the dogs seperated?

aschen_enegl
Bully Ambassador

Postby aschen_enegl » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:01 am

pitgrrl wrote:
aschen_enegl wrote:.. and we'll give him time with our dogs..and hopefully see some change in him. I'm not ready to give up on him. I was crying all night thinking about what to do.. and it upset me at his reaction to my dogs.

I'm a bit confused. Are you upset because you were expecting a dog friendly dog? Was he tested around other dogs at the shelter?Is there no way to keep the dogs seperated?

I'm upset for the fact that the shelter staff had told me he was great with other dogs..Wrong.. I'm just hoping for the best to ease the stress and tension. Our rescue might be transporting him to another rescue that deals strictly with the breed (the rescue he has been put into is a boston terrier rescue). The dogs are seperated from him, it's just causing alot of stress on my dogs as well. They really don't know whats going on. I am doing my best on working through the situation with the dogs. I'm not giving up.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:25 am

when a shelter tells you something, toss it to the garbage.. never never trust what they say.. they just want the dogs in a home, and dont have the means to test the dogs.. i dont believe anything a shelter tells me, i go and evaluate the dog myself to see what the dog is about.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:25 am

In the gallery it did not appear as if he's been neutered yet. Possibly (but not HIGHLY likely) neutering might help some, especially if he's young, it sure can't hurt and might help.

aschen_enegl
Bully Ambassador

Postby aschen_enegl » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:38 am

msvette2u wrote:In the gallery it did not appear as if he's been neutered yet. Possibly (but not HIGHLY likely) neutering might help some, especially if he's young, it sure can't hurt and might help.

He has an appointment scheduled for monday, it was the only availability the hospital had at the moment with the rescue.

mydogroxy
Bully Ambassador

Postby mydogroxy » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:38 am

when a shelter tells you something, toss it to the garbage.. never never trust what they say.. they just want the dogs in a home, and dont have the means to test the dogs.. i dont believe anything a shelter tells me, i go and evaluate the dog myself to see what the dog is about.

Hey hey now!! Let's not paint all shelters like that!

But yes, you should never trust in what anyone says 100% without doing some judging on your own. Some shelters do exactly what Maryellen has said, and since the dog is in your home, you always want to make sure everything is ok beforehand.

aschen_enegl
Bully Ambassador

Postby aschen_enegl » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:42 am

mydogroxy wrote:

Hey hey now!! Let's not paint all shelters like that!

But yes, you should never trust in what anyone says 100% without doing some judging on your own. Some shelters do exactly what Maryellen has said, and since the dog is in your home, you always want to make sure everything is ok beforehand.

I've convinced my husband to just stay calm and we'll work with him. Convinced him that were going to have to crate and rotate like we've been doing, just he's going to have to put more effort into it without it being all just me. He's said he was going to take the other 3 dogs for a walk while he gets to play in the backyard for a while and go through some obedience and simple training at home with me and christy.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:47 am

Hey, not all shelters are like that. As for how I ran mine, if I thought a dog was over the top dog-aggressive, no matter what the breed, I never even contacted rescues. They do the best they can, usually with few to NO resources available. If this was a small county or city shelter, it's highly likely they didn't have the means to test him out appropriately.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:57 am

sorry folks. SOME shelters do that.. i know for a fact that mydogroxys shelter is a good one, they dont lie. and the shelter near me that i deal with, they are good too.. i have been to more shelters that say what you want to hear then good ones.. but you all get my drift when in doubt check the dog out yourself..

karini
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby karini » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:06 am

Oh I'm so sorry to hear that.... maryellen is right SOME shelters are definiately like that - they told me my boston was in great health and was 7 yrs old - well, you know the story there :(

Emzdogz
Super Bully

Re: Pepsi-Bad news..

Postby Emzdogz » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:06 am

aschen_enegl wrote:I do have to say, I believe he was probably trained to fight. A dog that good looking in that kind of condition without someone claiming him, had to have been wanting to fight him. I love him to pieces and it breaks my heart to see him behave this way. I love this dog to death, he has grown on me extremely. I can only hope which decision we chose to go with on him, would be the best for him and everyone else. Please keep him in your prayers, this dog really is a good dog with people..just not with other dogs like everyone said he was.

Hi, I just saw this post, after having seen (and commented on) Pepsi's pics on the Gallery page.
Sorry to hear of the prob. Here's wishing that it all works out for you and for him too.
Em and Pep,
Tampa

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”