Speical needs puppy needs HELP

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Speical needs puppy needs HELP

Postby AllAmericanPUP » Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:53 pm

****CROSSPOSTING
hello everyone!

This little girl is about 6 weeks old. She was brought to my shelter last week to be signed over b/c she couldn't use her back legs. There was a volunteer here that decided to take her to the vet to see what was wrong with her legs b/c we thought that maybe someone had actually done this to her. As it turns out, it is a birth defect. The volunteer couldn't remember the exact name of it but her spine is not completely developed. It extends all the way almost to her tail them stops to pick up again at her tail. She has all other bones in her body including both back legs. She was given a clean bill of health by the vet. She is able to use the muscles in her back legs to hold up her weight and "walk" around. The vet said that there is nothing that can be done to fix this and that she will have to have some sort of mobility. The problem is that we have tried to place animals like this in the past with no success due to the amount of work required to take care of the animal. The volunteer cannot keep her for very long. Possibly only less than a month. I can't keep her either because I live in an apartment and already have two Pitties. They would squish her! The only way that she (the volunteer) will be able to keep her is if we can find her a wheelchair or some detailed directions on how to build one herself. We looked online today and they are very expensive so she cannot afford to buy one. If nothing else, if anyone you know has a soft spot for special needs pitties they could give her a home. A place where we know that she will get the care she needs to survive. Any info or help you can give will be greatly appreciated. You all may email directly at ACP@MPCITY.ORG .

Dusti Peacock

Mount Pleasant Animal Control and Protection

Texas

AllAmericanPUP

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs