Should I or Shouldn't I?

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
Beka_Keizer21

Should I or Shouldn't I?

Postby Beka_Keizer21 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:58 pm

Recently I took in a stray puppy and found it a home...my I was fairly heartbroken and I believe my Keizer baby is terribly lonely with no one to play with now...I was just called by a man (apparently one of my friends told him to call and offer the dog to me), he says he has a tiger stripe Am.Staff that he's trying to find a home for because his new girlfriend is 'deathly afraid' of the pup (who is Keizers age, all UTD on shots and is fixed), and she's making him choose her or the dog. I personally think it's wrong for her to do this but obviously if he'll give his dog up for some idiot like that then there HAS to be a better home for the little boy. He told me I could have the dog since I know how the pitbull type is and I'm good about taking my dog to the park a lot and spending lots of time with my dog. I said I wasn't sure and I'd call back in a few minutes. Even if I just temporarily have the doggy until I can find it a new home, it's still better than going to the pound like he's saying he's going to do. I truely want another dog, does anyone have any opinion on the subject?

GTiSTiLE
Newborn Bully

Postby GTiSTiLE » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:14 pm

If you truely WANT another dog, its a Win Win situation no matter how you look at it. you get the dog out of harms way, and satisfy your want for another pup... do it :thumbsup:

JaystreetsA4
Bully Ambassador

Postby JaystreetsA4 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:08 am

is this dog for you or a companion for your dog? is it a male? are you ready to deal with crate and rotate if they dont get along?

Beka_Keizer21

Postby Beka_Keizer21 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:49 pm

JaystreetsA4 wrote:is this dog for you or a companion for your dog? is it a male? are you ready to deal with crate and rotate if they dont get along?
It would be a companion for both of us I'd hope. My dog is a male -fixed-, and I was looking for a male (can get him fixed pending age). The guy said the dog always wanted to cuddle with the kitty and be around other dogs, and Keizer is the same way. I do realize that there is a possiblity they won't get along, and I do have two crates and all that jazz. If they do or don't get along, either way I could handle it, and hope that one day they could warm up a little. Since I'm like a halfway house for strays I have all the stuff to aquire a new dog, I have two of everything, at LEAST two of everything...I would go adopt one from a shelter but I'm 17, so I can't. I have a job, a car, I more than half the bills here, I graduated highschool early, the only set thing I have to do is I'm gone wednesdays from 7-9.30, other than that I have all the free time in the world. I would ask my grams (the only other person in the house) to adopt one kinda for me but she can't really get into cars anymore, it hurts her too badly, she stays around the house.

Beka_Keizer21

Postby Beka_Keizer21 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:18 pm

YAY! I'm going to go meet the staffy at 4.30 (it's 3.25 my time), I can't wait! I hope they get along, I'm sure Keizer will be happy he has someone to play with! roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

NYnative
Bully Ambassador

Postby NYnative » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:39 pm

Any news for us Lurkers?????????????????????????????

Beka_Keizer21

Postby Beka_Keizer21 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:55 pm

Oh I met him yesterday and fell in :inlove: . I misunderstood, he wasn't fixed earlier, he had a date with a vet TO get fixed already, and yesterday he got the surgery, so he was a bit under the weather from the meds he was on, and he'll be taking them for a few more days. He was so sweet and calm (probly from the medication, but I'm used to hyper dogs). The guy said that he must have liked me because the whole (maybe hour?) I was over there, the dog was over laying at my feet or laying in my lap. He doesn't look like he could be more than 8-10 months old, very skinny/lanky looking, but he's been stuck in an apartment with no room to run around in. I'll get him some good food an lots of playtime. I'm going back over there with Keizer today, to see how they react with each other. I didn't want to bring Keizer the first day after getting his erm--manhood?, taken away, and he was on meds, because Keizer still comes on strong at first. He still jumps up on people and gets really hyper and excited around other dogs. I'm waiting for the guy to call me, I just got back from the park with keizer, an hour and a half for now, I'll probly go for at least 30/45 minutes before we go to meet Tiger (the new doggy), so he's not AS hyper... The guy is taking his time to give up the dog (I know deep down he loves the doggy, just probly doesn't have the time, he's always out running around). It's fine for him to take his time, if for some reason I had to give up my furchild I'd make up all the excuses in the world to keep him longer. Tiger looks more pit to me, not am. staff, but that's what he was told by his best friend. I'm not the expert on that anyway, so it's just my opinion. He's maybe a few inches taller if not the same size as Keizer, and his head isn't as full, but I noticed Keizers has filled out more since he was a little puppy. Tiger is a very dark brown brindle, with a black muzzle, sweet all around, listens well and I think we'll have lots of fun together. If I had a camera I'd promis pictures as soon as I get him, but I'm not sure when the next time I can borrow my friends camera is.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:29 pm

just be sure that maybe one day you might have to do a crate/rotate being you are adopting another male, since you have a male already. now it might not happen, but it might, you have a 50-50 chance that one day they wont tolerate each other and a chance they will. good luck!!

Beka_Keizer21

Postby Beka_Keizer21 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:54 pm

thanks for the advice! I appreciate any advice/tips I've given because I've never had two males at the same time that close in age...

fllady
Newborn Bully

Postby fllady » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:27 pm

I didn't want to bring Keizer the first day after getting his erm--manhood?, taken away, and he was on meds, because Keizer still comes on strong at first. He still jumps up on people and gets really hyper and excited around other dogs. I'm waiting for the guy to call me, I just got back from the park with keizer, an hour and a half for now, I'll probly go for at least 30/45 minutes before we go to meet Tiger (the new doggy), so he's not AS hyper...

I personally have no problem with same sex dogs BUT in order to do this YOU have to be in control of your dogs at all times. Keizer should not be jumping up on people, comes on strong, gets really hyper,etc. This tells me that you are not the alpha to Keizer, regardless of his age he should not be doing this. You need to get him under control "at all times" before you bring in another dog, if you do bring in the other dog you need to work with Keizer, right now he is the alpha or not respecting you if he is exhibiting these behaviors.

I'm not trying to cut you down in anyway, this is my opinion and you have a LOT of work ahead of you.

fllady
Newborn Bully

Postby fllady » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:01 pm

3 Males-1 female They have to "earn" their spot on the couch. The female is the rottie/GSD mix, the others all males, JRT mix, APBT, and 3-legged chow mix. It takes a lot of work, consistency, and rules everyday, but it works!

Beka_Keizer21

Postby Beka_Keizer21 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:11 pm

Thanks for the advice.

MAN, so much DRAMA! I got a call from the guys (apparently) girlfriend, but he said a 'friend' who originally found the dog wanted to talk to me first, and he's only had the dog for about 3 weeks...Anywho, he said that lady wanted to talk to me about the dog, and I said fine, I understand they want to make sure I'm a decent person. I assumed that lady was just a friend (and not the idiot girlfriend), because when I talked to him, he just kept saying 'a friend of mine'...SO she called, I answered, oh hey you're -his name-'s friend, right? She said NO, I'm his girlfreind. (It was my understanding she was afraid of the dog, so I confirmed that that was the reason he had to get rid of it), I asked, Aren't you scared of the dog, you originally found it, but you want to reassure it's home? She said 'I just found it and once I found out WHAT it was, I told him to get rid of it I don't want any monsters around.' ....being a bully person, this pissed me off beyond repair, I already don't get along with other females...so I don't like this lady so far...I asked, 'But you wanted to talk to me to make sure it had a good home?', she said, 'I just wanted to see what woman was at my house for two hours with MY boyfriend last night.' ....so, the guy seems really nice, he sounded like he was going to cover for his girlfriend so she could talk to me, so she wouldn't have to be suspicious, and she didn't go along with the plan. :po: SO, I said, 'actually i was probly only over there for closer to an hour, and I never left the front door area.'. She said "You could have arranged a time to meet him when i was home, why did you feel you had to make sure I wasn't home?" ....*stupidity* ...I responded, ' I didn't specifically arrange a time as to wether or not you were or weren't there, I didn't mean to be disrespectful...(she cuts me off), 'I want to see you before you get the dog' .....Like what I look like MATTERS? If her boyfriend is gonna cheat on her, I really doubt it's with the short 'goth' pierced up pitbull girl. Calm the fizzle down lady @___@

SHEESH I don't want to be put in the middle of all this, I just wanted a dog, what should I do? Keep trying to deal with these people, one of which is a B!TCH, the other lies to cover the b!tches bad personality. I thought I was getting a legit story, but they have someone else in line to get the dog, I think I'm just going to cut outta line.

fllady
Newborn Bully

Postby fllady » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:22 pm

If the guy has any brains and all he'll dump the insecure bitc* and keep the dog!

Work on your dog, when the time is right there are 1000's that need homes and a female may be your best bet!

Beka_Keizer21

Postby Beka_Keizer21 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:44 pm

I don't know what to tell them, I kept telling them I was ready to get the dog, and I can't avoid them for ever. This is probly just a couple feuding and he'll regret giving up the dog in a week anyway. :sad:

crazy4pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby crazy4pits » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:41 pm

Tell him, sorry but you don't appreciate his GF making accusations, it is non of her business what you look like.
And that you no longer feel comfortable with taking the dog. That you do not want to be brought into their drama when you was simply interested in the DOG!

There are pleanty of others out there that need you.

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”