"Sparky" the meatball-/S.W.Michigan-ADOPTED!

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
thebluejackal
Super Bully

Postby thebluejackal » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:13 pm

The begging shall begin.

In the even that she says she would be fine trying him out (haha, gotta make everyone happy here), would it be possible to go ahead with the adoption, but not have him transported down here until the end of November/beginning of December?

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:32 pm

well really think about it.
He isnt a finsihed dog, I do see potential in him !!!

Do you still have your ferret. I dont know which thread I mentioned it,
but he does go bonkos over CAGED animals. Even a cat in a crate at adoption day he goes nuts over.. but a loose cat walks by and he is fine.

there are application links on his petifnder site.

:0 )

:thumbsup:

thebluejackal
Super Bully

Postby thebluejackal » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:48 am

We do have ferrets and rats, but they're in a separate room and we keep that door CLOSED when doggies are out. Kaya goes crazy over caged animals, too. Only Hazel and Kiki can be trusted in there.

I would work with him over it, too, to let him know it's NOT okay to do that and hopefully desensitize him over it a little bit.

I have decided that if I'm going to get a Pit Bull, it's going to be Meatball. :-P He sounds exactly like the dog I was looking for.

My "dream dog" for this whole thing is a black male Pit Bull rescue, over 2 but less than 4, fostered with cats and dogs with no incidents, high play drive, and good focus. Meatball fits that to a T!

I have talked to Angel (the master trainer at K9U) about him and his toy drive, how well he reacts to other dogs, and busy situations. It would practically be like an adoption event EVERY DAY at K9U, so it's even more awesome that he's used to that sort of thing. Angel thinks he sounds wonderful and was asking if he's ever been tested for search.

Does he get a kick out of finding toys tossed about in the yard? If so, Search and Rescue would be another good calling for him. :-P We also do bitework and if he likes a good game of tug-of-war, he'd enjoy that. A lot.

Now I just need to still work on Avery about it. And, once again, I wouldn't be able to bring him in until late November at the EARLIEST since we close on the 14th of that month.

I am so freakishly excited.

I'm planning on trying him FIRST and if for some strange reason he doesn't make the cut (although I can't see why he wouldn't!!), he'll go straight back to you.

If he does make it, he gets to work with me several days a week at K9U, meet and greet other people and dogs, be a great ambassador in classes, do agility, learn Search and Rescue, do CGC and TDI, and maaaybe even Personal Protection for fun. :-P

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:53 am

:))

Meatball.. he is still learning his manners bluejackyl. He still wants to "POP" and jump and give lip smacking kissies
that hurt! LOL
His toy drive is a work in progress.. he will leap up in the air like a huge fish to grab his toy if you dont watch him.

His lessons have been literally, NOTHING IN LIFE IS FOR FREE, that means PETS too.. if he isnt sitting and under his
own control (you can see him build to WANT to jump) he doesnt even get a pet. If you saw his first foster guy, just housed him
and really rough housed with him, letting Meatball jump all over him (this is how they played.. I just recently learned this..and now
see WHY and how this behaviour grew....)
Alot (!!!) of times, I keep him on leash, and stand on the leash so my foot catches the "pop" , or hold onto his collar.
So if he pops I can keep him four paws DOWN on the ground.
His head and kissies hurt!

His toy drive is great, but yes..same thing .. NILF.. no sit, no behave NO TOY, no leaping and mouth snapping at the toy to get it.
Toys are great to work with him, but know when you have a drive like this, you can use it to your advantage, but the first time
you walk thru a PETCO and he goes to liberate all the toys in the store, you better be prepared! Its actually funny, but talk about
toy over drive!!!
We have really worked at keeping his mouth under control, and not snapping and grabbing toys at will.

I do not leave toys about the house, and TRY to teach outside is toy time, inside is calm, maybe one chew toy time.

I have decided not to try him with my Jellybean, the more I thought about it, she could easily trigger Meatball to be defensive
around little dogs, she is just too out of control. Even my dog trainer gave up on Jellybean lol.
But I can easily help you on how to introduce dogs.

I do follow and highly reccomend my sequence of introducing a new dog to a household. I cannot stress enough on the sequence
and get down right pissy when new adoptees dont follow it and call me with "problems" two weeks later. Those who have followed it
have had wonderful results.

Meatball is not a "huge" dog but he is a musclar beefcake , I would guess his weight at (I was picking him up last night) between
55-65 pounds, so do know that 50# dogs and up cost more for heartworm and many vetinary procedures/meds.
Meatball has been h.w. checked and is on preventative, I have not seen any health issues since I have had him, other than dandruff
from crappy food, he is now on a new food and looks GREAT! And he does love food, I feed twice a day and about 2 cups each time
and he is still cut and trim. He might slow down on food as he ages.. but man what a beefcake! ( i want his metabolism, eat like a pig
do little and be in pin up shape!!! LOL)

How do you plan on meeting him, transporting him to Ok and returning him if he is too much for you?
All adoptions have a two week "meeting" before we finalize the adoption, This gives folks a chance to see if the dog does indeed fit their
lifestyle.

ok at work..and hope this fills in some of your blanks.
I had this all typed out and lost it!! ARGH...
so here is a re do..and hope I remembered everything I meant to tell you.

PS..just read your post... you are funny,

search and rescue..humm not sure if he is, well SMART enough.. lol
I see him more doing agility.. but DONT LISTEN TO ME, I have not been trained in either, so anything is possible.
He is kind of a dufus..but surely has the DRIVE.

And yes..he may desensitise to the caged animals..but he is really bonkers for them.
DRives me nuts..oh and he eats cat poopy too, so I have a latch on the basement door so he cant get his body thru the open door or its to the crunchy covered chocolates :yucky: he goes, then of course right to me for a kissie.. double :yucky:

thebluejackal
Super Bully

Postby thebluejackal » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:15 am

I have seen PLENTY of bonehead dogs do amazing things. He has to be taught to listen, but that's what the 18 weeks of rigorous obedience training are for. :-P

I understand completely that he's still learning manners -- I'm not expecting to get a perfect dog right off the bat. Once again, that's what the obedience training is for!

And all dogs eat cat crap. All three of mine do. -_-; They've learned not to do it while we're in the room, but once we leave, watch out!

So what normally goes along with a meeting? Would that mean we would somehow have to get our butts up to Michigan? That may prove a bit difficult as we'll already be low on cash after the move -- not enough to travel that far, especially with Christmas and whatnot so close. Blah! Moneys suck.

I've organized transports before, so I would most likely follow that same protocol to get him down here OR do some artsies and raise the $200+ to fly him. :-P Either would be fine for me.

And yes, I know that 50+ pound dogs cost more for vet care, but we have an AWESOME vet who doesn't charge a hundred million dollars for simple things. She's also the vet that works with the rescue I volunteer and foster for. She rocks.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:24 am

oh and by the way
Meatball is a lover, and would be awful at personal protection, I do not endorse this for him.

Search and rescue, agility, yes.. tug work, yes.. but personal protection not his thing.. as he would love a person to death before noticing a sleeve..

thebluejackal
Super Bully

Postby thebluejackal » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:40 am

HAHAHA, I can imagine that. :-P That would be fine, as that was actually on the bottom of my list of what I want to train for.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:40 pm

Meatball, I measured the lil meat head, here are his "stats"

73 pounds (good grief he is a meat ball)

length from about collar back of head to tail base 26 1/2 "
(this was hard to measure for he kept bouncing around , did I mention
he is ticklish? And kept attacking me with kissies.....)

Heighth From Floor to back he is about 18 1/2 inches

Neck 18
Chest 28 " (damn same as my freain waist.. haha)
Waistline 22 "

So there is the offical stats of our resident stud muffin..
(well as studly as a neutered boy could be!)

* In case it wasnt seen, bluejackal has decided that Meatball isnt the dog for them, at this point in their life.. so he is still offically waiting for his home .... so if you are thinking about him.. THINK HARDER ,hahaha..
His lil "I love you mommy" face is really getting to me!! Wouldnt YOU love to have that face look at you every day?????? :inlove:

LoveFiona
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby LoveFiona » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:31 am

Bump for Meatball!

thebluejackal
Super Bully

Postby thebluejackal » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:08 pm

I know I would. x.x

My partner vetoed him moreso than I did. >.> Just for the record. ^_^; She's wanting a dog 40 pounds and under and, uh, Meatball's 73.

I wish I could have him, though! I STILL love him and whoever adopts him had BETTER get their butts on this forum and post pictures ALL THE TIME.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:45 pm

For all the Meatball Fans out there.. my lil lughead has a new story today...

go to the last post by me (well as of now) of this thread for his latest adventure!
http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 12#1010012

And yea... bluejackal under 40 and 73 well that is a bit of a difference isnt it? l o l !
:peace:

RodentRanger
Super Bully

Postby RodentRanger » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:32 pm

Whispers: Just admit the Meatball is yours...

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:15 pm

RodentRanger wrote:Whispers: Just admit the Meatball is yours...

ooooo you are an evil person. Good grief I cant shuffle bark change forever!!! I cant I cant!
Plus he has mommy itis and he isnt taking the life of shuffing very well. He needs his "own" humans and doggy friends who dont want to eat him.
(no not his buddy Scooter, but my Jack!)

LILMANSMOMMIE
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby LILMANSMOMMIE » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:09 am

I love him and I think he show just be called meatball its a great name

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:32 pm

yes...my lil butthead.. ahem.. I mean.. Meatball still is waiting for his home!
He really is doing GREAT at home, although since his comando moment over the fence now has to be tethered , but in the house what a GREAT dog he is!
Adopt a day last week.. oh my..never take a dog that has been not run to an adopt a day in a store full of TOYS TOYS TOYS! Egads..he again tried to liberate them ALL , especially the 8.00$ stuffed animals.. aye aye aye!

His fall portrait..gezss.. smile Meatball!

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”