Help Me Help You

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
JCleve86
Forum Junky

Help Me Help You

Postby JCleve86 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:23 pm

As many of you know, I'm looking to adopt a dog. I'll be moved into my new (bully friendly) apartment within a month, so around about that time is when I'm looking to add a pooch to my life. I'm having a hard time narrowing it down...having always been on the "rescue" side of things, I didn't realize how overwhelming it is to be the adopter!

(For those who kinda sorta know me but don't stalk me and thus, don't know my life story, my mom bought a house on 5 acres out in Yelm and took the Boxers with her, so I no longer own them. :frown: )

Anywho...I've fallen in love with a few dogs, one of whom might be adopted already (yay for her, no so much yay for me lol ) and the other, whom I've yet to meet, is supposed to be pretty reactive to other dogs on leash, which brings us to my first requirement:

1. Must be pretty non-chalant with other dogs. I'll be living in a mid-rise apartment building, the residents being a mix of other college kids like myself and old folks. So, there will be a mix of dogs, but most importantly, some little yippers owned by "fragile" folks, so I can't have a dog who wants to eat other dogs. Just won't work

2. Dog will be my running buddy so he must both ENJOY running and be structurally sound. I'm simply not willing to risk adopting a dog who will wind up with HD or luxating patellas or some such business down the road.

3. Must be on the smaller side. I prefer more petite dogs but more importantly, my apartment does have a 50 lb weight limit.

4. Looks wise, I'm pretty much a sucker for anything 4 legged, but I prefer a more "classic" look...either classic "gamey" APBT or classic Amstaffy look. Two way different ends of the spectrum, I know. I also have an affinity for red, black, and brindle dogs, not necessarily in that order.

So, there's the requirements, aside from the usuals (bombproof with people, etc. etc. etc.). I'm hoping some of you may be able to help me narrow down the search. The other issue I've encountered is that you don't know who to trust...there are folks who will lie to get a dog adopted, there are folks who will make excuses for temperament, and there are folks who just plain don't evaluate dogs very well. So hopefully with the help of folks who know the breed and hopefully know the rescues you might be hunting down for me, we'll eliminate that risk.

Thank you all in advance for the help...never thought it would be so hard to find a dog!

(As for my personal info, for those who are wondering, I am in nursing school and I work at a coffee shop. Not rich, by any means, but I make enough to get by. Plus, as I always preach to folks on the forum, I have a credit card set aside completely unused for emergencies. My schedule, while full, allows for potty breaks during the day as I'm going back and forth to school or work, and as I said, dog will be my running buddy so he'll get plenty of exercise, and he'll be my snuggle buddy at night!)

JCleve86
Forum Junky

Postby JCleve86 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:24 pm

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that I'm looking for a local dog (local being WA, OR, or BC) or an Ontario dog. :thumbsup:

jessandace
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jessandace » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:25 pm

did you check out pet finder?

JCleve86
Forum Junky

Postby JCleve86 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:50 pm

jessandace wrote:did you check out pet finder?

Yep, and after browsing dozens of dogs, I decided to make this here post. lol

There's a few certain people here that I'm hoping will read (and respond!) that I had in mind who might know a few dogs in their programs who will fit the bill.

GSDBulldog
Addicted to PBF

Postby GSDBulldog » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:04 pm

So no Toby?

Good, that's good.

lol

JCleve86
Forum Junky

Postby JCleve86 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:09 pm

GSDBulldog wrote:So no Toby?

Good, that's good.

lol

Still considering that fellow...have to kidnap him for a few days and see. He is a little "needy" however, so I'm not sure how well he'd do with my busy days.

r6nikki
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby r6nikki » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:31 pm

Hey Missy! You have a Pm :)) :thumbsup:

JCleve86
Forum Junky

Postby JCleve86 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:47 pm

Recieved. :))

Spurby
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Spurby » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:31 pm

Just from a rescue side of things, have you thought about finding one particular rescue to work with to find your dog? It might take a little longer esp if they don't have the right dog for you at the moment, but personally speaking from both sides(once being in rescue, and once adopting from a rescue) i find it much easier this way. Finding a good rescue that you can totally trust can be hard, and once you do it is totally worth the effort and time to both work together to find the right dog. Good rescues take an enormous ammount of time with each adopter to get to know them, and what they also feel would be the right fit for you and the dog..working with several different rescues while seeking a dog might take away from that and give you much more work, as well as the rescues you are contacting.

Just some food for thought :)

Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby Kirstan » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:59 pm

What about fostering a few in the interim?

What age range?

Considering anything outside of the PNW? California, perhaps?

~k.

Ellena
Bully Ambassador

Postby Ellena » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:31 pm

Well Jamie you know what our program holds.

Athletic is LOTUS!!!!!!! Shes "gamey", structurally and mentally sound and a sweetheart to boot! I think shes dreamy!

Id say Gerkin but he would be over your 50lb limit at 65.

I know you love my Benny and he would make a great apartment dog so theres him and he's only 41lbs.

I think those would be our only matches for you on your criteria. :thumbsup:

karladaune
Bully Ambassador

Postby karladaune » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:55 pm

Sooooo-pheeeeeee-ahhhh...

though she definitely isnt gamey (that doesnt sound right, but you know what I mean!) and she isnt standard staffy built....but she is brindle! roflmao

JaystreetsA4
Bully Ambassador

Postby JaystreetsA4 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:34 am

well out of the pits has a small gameyt girl for adoption. but they are in NY but they are no joke about temperment. alo try spindletop in tx they have a whole laod of gamey dogs

JCleve86
Forum Junky

Postby JCleve86 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:29 am

Spurby - That is a good idea...the folks who have the girl I'm currently looking at are Bullseye, and they've been great thus far...perhaps I should just have them help me out if the one I'm looking at right now isn't quite right.

Kirstan - As far as age, I'm thinking middle adult, as in preferably at least 2 or close to it, but less than maybe 5 or 6? That way their temperament and DA is likely going to be fairly set, and they'll still be young enough to put in several years as my jogging buddy. Location I'm not TOO strict on...my only concern is that I've always felt it makes more sense to spend resources on local dogs (or in this case, Ontario dogs since they don't HAVE many options) But if the perfect match is in Timbuktu I won't argue.

Ellena- Our friend Nikki actually PMed me about Lotus, but I'll tell you what I told her, which is that to be perfectly honest, I'm not "drawn" to Lotus. Can't say what it is for certain, but I'm sure most dog folks know what I mean when I saw that...I don't want to "force" it, you know? I am still considering Benny, but I thought I recalled him being a little "iffy" with some dogs, which could get sketchy with the living situation.

It's all SO overwhelming...so many options!

pittymomma
Bully Ambassador

Postby pittymomma » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:05 am

PM sent with a selection...... :thumbsup:

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”