A year on the streets and still not feral

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
Ellena
Bully Ambassador

A year on the streets and still not feral

Postby Ellena » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:36 am

Meet Felida. She's named for the area of town that she resided in for over a YEAR. Felida lived on the streets, refusing to let anyone get close to her to catch her or even pet her. She lived in a field, made herself a den, and ate garbage and the occasional treat or kibble the people in the neighborhood would leave her.

When winter came, they made her a little box with blankets.

When summer came, and Animal Control had given up on catching her, one of the neighbors emailed me desperate. They all loved this little Pit Bull and wanted to see her safe and not on the streets.

If AC couldn't catch her what made them think I could?

It was worth a try.

I brough the neighbors tranquilizers the evening before and asked them to put it in some wet food and set it out in the morning. From their back deck they could see the food and they were to call me as soon as they saw her eat it.

And she gobbled it all up.

My husband and I drove out there with a catch pole and our fingers crossed..... thinking we would find a feral and upset Pit Bull that we would have to euthanize.

What we found was a tiny little Pit Bull, black with a white chest... stumbling around the field like a drunken midget. We caught her and brought her to the shelter for impound.

I helped vaccinate her and deworm her, thinking that when the meds wore off she was going to be an ornry little bugger.

I was wrong.

Later on in the day I went back to see her again, I took a chance and went inside her kennel and sat on the concrete floor. She approached fearfully, tail tucked, but licked my face.

I told myself the drugs were still affecting her and that I would try again tomorrow.

Tomorrow was Sunday and I went to see her again.

Same response, she kissed me and this time I got tail-wags. Her body was shaking from head to toe, she looked ill from the stress of the shelter. If she was to get better from this ordeal she was going to need to get out of there.

I arranged with the shelter that we are fostering her until her stray hold is up, and then PNWPBR will own her and make the call on euthing her or not. Im hopeful that we won't have to, and these pictures should speak for themself.

The first day in the shelter

Sunday evening

Monday

Kissing Carly

Felida and I

hwillm1977
Addicted to PBF

Postby hwillm1977 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:47 am

AWWWWWW... the first pictures in the shelter just make you want to cry....

She looks WAY happier out of there!

Here's hoping she does great and gets a home.

suzi
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby suzi » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:11 am

No way a feral pooch,,,,,lost without love for to long a time....I hope she gets what she needs.....Love, a couch,,,,plenty of food.....A forever home. A survivor she is.

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:04 am

Wow, the first few pics are depressing. Her eyes just look so sad. But she is looking better and better in those other pics! :thumbsup:

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:23 am

wow, she's adorable, i really hope things go well with her. i'm so glad you guys were able to catch her. poor thing.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:10 am

omg she is stunning!!!

dawg_mom

Postby dawg_mom » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:50 am

OMG :crybaby: She looks so sad! You can see with each day she is becoming more confident. She is a doll!!!

karladaune
Bully Ambassador

Postby karladaune » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:03 pm

wow...she looks alot like Sophia in the face...those eyes!! I hope this story has a positive ending, I have good feeling about her.

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:11 pm

:pray for Felida, god bless her little soul (I'm glad I cannot see the pictures) and bless you also.

hutch
Newborn Bully

Postby hutch » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:13 pm

Wow, Ellena! She sure isn't what I had in mind when you told me that story. She's beautiful. As someone else said, there seems to be a distinct progression of happiness/confidence in the pics. We'll keep our fingers crossed for her.

ssontag
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby ssontag » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:31 pm

I can't believe what a change from the first pictures to the last. She is a beautiful girl! I hope things work out and she gets a forever home. Keep us up to date and more pictures please!

Bustersmama
Addicted to PBF

Postby Bustersmama » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:23 pm

That was an awesome story. You can see it all in her eyes from the first pictures. She looks like a different dog from there on out. Good luck to her and thanks to YOu for helping her. :bowdown:

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:40 pm

:crybaby: oooo that gave me goosebumpies and tears!

I hope she makes it.. what a lost little soul.
I am so happy she found YOU and your group to give her the chance she so deserves. No matter the outcome, she looks so much happier like now she KNOWS she is SAFE.

*fingers crossed* these special cases can steal our hearts!

Be sure to update us alot how she progresses!! :thumbsup:

FearSheeple
Addicted to PBF

Postby FearSheeple » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:53 pm

Oh man, she's beautiful!! Looks like she's going to be a success story! :inlove:

Ellena
Bully Ambassador

Postby Ellena » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:17 pm

hutch wrote:Wow, Ellena! She sure isn't what I had in mind when you told me that story. She's beautiful. As someone else said, there seems to be a distinct progression of happiness/confidence in the pics. We'll keep our fingers crossed for her.

Isnt she great Theron? Now you know why I was so busy this weekend! :))

Thank you to all for the well wishes.... Felida is going on another outing today and im sure there will be more pics to come! :peace:

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”