A year on the streets and still not feral

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
Ntchwaidumela
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Ntchwaidumela » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:52 pm

Hiya Ellena and Felida-

Saw your story on "Columbian Neighbors" this morning :thumbsup:

Good Job, no, I take that back GREAT JOB!! To Ellena and the neighborhood that helped Felida :bowdown:

E :peace:

Ellena
Bully Ambassador

Postby Ellena » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:59 pm

Entwadumela wrote:Hiya Ellena and Felida-

Saw your story on "Columbian Neighbors" this morning :thumbsup:

Good Job, no, I take that back GREAT JOB!! To Ellena and the neighborhood that helped Felida :bowdown:

E :peace:

aw thank you!!!! I was just getting on to post it!

Here it is:

Felida's Story

http://www.columbian.com/news/localNews ... 166317.cfm

Saving Felida

Felida, a once-homeless and feral pit bull that neighbors fed for more than a year, and that recently was rescued, gives a kiss to Ron Goodstein. Watching from left are Ellena Thomas, executive director of Pacific Northwest Pit Bull Rescue, and Ron’s wife, Stacy Goodstein. (JANET L. MATHEWS/The Columbian)

Wednesday, July 11, 2007
BY JOHN BRANTON, Columbian staff writer

FELIDA - The first time Stacy and Ron Goodstein saw the homeless pit bull dog they called Pup, the petite female was sleeping under a shed overhang outside their home.

That was in early 2006, a cold time of year.

"We felt bad for it, so I fed it," Stacy Goodstein said recently. "It looked like it was hurt and very hungry."

The young dog, black with white markings, was fearful and shy. When people got too close, she would run away. But if they put food out for her, she'd gladly return and devour it.

As the months went by, Stacy Goodstein kept leaving food for the dog, hoping she eventually could catch her, but it didn't happen.

At one point, when the dog charged toward Ron Goodstein and their dog, they stopped feeding her, but they later forgave it, giving her the benefit of the doubt.

"I think it was a territorial thing, not an aggressive thing," Stacy Goodstein said.

Besides claiming an area outside the Goodsteins' home where she'd been fed, the dog had a nest atop a grassy knoll in a nearby field.

Sometimes people left food for her there. Sometimes she stole food from garbage cans and carried it to her nest.

Officers with Clark County Animal Protection and Control came out to try and catch the feral dog, but couldn't.

Very recently, the Goodsteins heard about Pacific Northwest Pit Bull Rescue, headed by Ellena Thomas and her husband, Jacob, of Vancouver. Area resident Joey Cooper, whose husband, Mark, gave the dog treats, sent an e-mail to Thomas, describing the situation.

The group is one of about 75 that work with the Humane Society for Southwest Washington, based in Vancouver. The groups can provide foster homes, and work to find permanent homes for animals including cats, dogs, rabbits, ferrets and even turtles.

Asked about the Thomases' work, Chuck Tourtillott, executive director of the local humane society, said they do well.

"They've helped us place some of the pit bulls that come to our shelter. We think she's very responsible in her placement."

The Thomases' group, formed a year ago, isn't devoted to saving all pit bulls. Those dogs that turn out to be aggressive or vicious are euthanized.

"While we love the breed, we accept that not all pit bulls are good candidates for adoption," states the group's Web site, www.pnwpbr.com .

Told of the situation in Felida, a 2½-year-old pit bull that had survived homeless for about 14 months, the Thomases took action.

"We went and scouted the site, then contacted our vet for tranquilizers," Ellena Thomas said.

On the morning of June 30, Stacy Goodstein put the liquid tranquilizer in some food and took it to the hill nest. When she saw the dog had eaten the food, she notified Ellena Thomas.

Arriving in a half-hour with a catch pole, the Thomases captured the dog.

"The neighbors were there waiting and watching," Ellena Thomas said. "We surrounded the poor girl and helped her into our SUV. She never even made a peep."

During a visit later that day at the humane society shelter, "She actually came up to me in the kennel and kissed my face," Ellena Thomas said.

On the next day, a Sunday, Ellena Thomas went to the kennel and sat on the floor with the dog.

"She actually climbed into my lap and kissed me," Ellena Thomas said.

The Thomases soon took the dog to their home. In the next several days, they cared for her and sometimes took her on errands, to see if she can readjust after her long period of homelessness.

"We're reintroducing her to the world and affirming that she's safe and that everything's OK," Ellena Thomas said. "We're basically doing what you could call re-domestication, because she has been on the streets a year plus."

She said the dog appears to be doing well, with no growling or snarling.

"She is a little shy and fearful, which is to be expected," Ellena Thomas said. "But she's also very loving. She wants to trust people."

The Thomases and Goodsteins will never know what the dog lived through during those 14 months of being on the streets. She has good-sized scars on her left-front leg and abdomen.

They wonder whether she was hit by a car, or had to fight off other stray dogs or coyotes that roam Clark County.

It's not known whether the dog was dumped by her former owners, or perhaps became lost from a family that loves her.

"This dog is house-trained," Ellena Thomas said. "She knows 'sit' and she knows 'shake.' She knows how to walk on a leash. I honestly believe she was someone's pet."

"We ended up naming her 'Felida,' " she added. "We figured she's earned that name."

If Felida passes the Thomases' non-aggressive evaluation period, they hope to reunite her with her former family - or find one that will adopt her. She might do best in a home with no other pets, Ellena Thomas said.

On a recent visit to the Goodsteins' home, Felida licked Stacy and Ron's hands.

"We are very happy and hope the dog stays on the good-to-go path," Stacy Goodstein told The Columbian.

And Stacy Goodstein had some kind words for Ellena Thomas as well.

"I praise her up and down," she said. "She was right on top of it. She was there."

The neighbors are to be commended as well, Ellena Thomas said.

"It says a lot to me that a neighborhood would band together to save the life of a dog that is usually hated and mistreated."

The phone number for Pacific Northwest Pit Bull Rescue is 360-433-9581.

Ellena
Bully Ambassador

Postby Ellena » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:07 pm

an email today:

Hello,
I believe the pit bull found in Felida featured in today's Columbian 7/11/07 is a dog my family and I lost in November of 2005 named Simba. She slipped out of her collar and ran away. We would love to see if it's her. We checked with the humane society daily and placed numerous ads in the Columbian, and on Craigslist and never heard anything. We assumed someone had taken her. She had unique white markings on her. One on the back of her neck which is diamond shaped, white on her chest, and nose. However we are at a time in our lives, and house right now where we may not be able to take her back. We will have to check into some things first. Is there any way I can identify her or even see her to see if she's ours? We'd like closure and to see if she can possibly be adopted by a loving family. This would bring great relief to our family as we have been worried about her ever since she took off. To see her again would be so nice. We've missed her so much. Thanks for letting us know and running this article.

Ellena
Bully Ambassador

Postby Ellena » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:58 pm

I visited the people and confirmed that Felida is indeed their long-lost Simba. :headbang:

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:04 am

Oh wow!!

Are they looking into getting her back?

pittymomma
Bully Ambassador

Postby pittymomma » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:26 am

WOW~!!!!!!!

so what is happening with her now??

V

Bustersmama
Addicted to PBF

Postby Bustersmama » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:33 am

Poor girl.

I hope you can do whats best for her Ellena...she sounds like a super dog who deserves a great forever family.

Ntchwaidumela
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Ntchwaidumela » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:05 am

Thats so sad. To be finally reunited with the owners after a year on the streets, only to find out they (the owners) are no longer able to take her back (not their fault, just their new living condition).
:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: after a year on the streets!!!!!!!!

GuardianAMBULL
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby GuardianAMBULL » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:11 am

Entwadumela wrote:Thats so sad. To be finally reunited with the owners after a year on the streets, only to find out they (the owners) are no longer able to take her back (not their fault, just their new living condition).
:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: after a year on the streets!!!!!!!!

I second that! :crybaby:

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:04 pm

I think she will find an awesome forever home though. Just look how those people in the neighborhood took care of her. She is obviously pretty special!!

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:50 pm

Ellena wrote:I visited the people and confirmed that Felida is indeed their long-lost Simba. :headbang:

holy sheep [censored] :crybaby:
that is amazing. .. I dont know if to cry or rejoice..
that story is AMAZING!!!!!! :thumbsup:

stillhoneymooning
Matured Bully

Postby stillhoneymooning » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:05 am

Awwww....poor Felida.

Well, here's hoping that you get LOTS of interest in her because of that AWESOME article.

Ellena
Bully Ambassador

Postby Ellena » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:57 pm

Well they will be visiting her again tomorrow so its not for certain, but it does sound like they cannot take her back..... so we will proceed in fostering her and then adopting her out.

Oh, and to clarify about where the news article stated that she charged.... Felida IS dog aggressive and Ron and Stacy let their dog Sadie, free roam the property. Felida HAD gotten in a tussle with Sadie before and we have confirmed that she will not do well in a home with other dogs. :thumbsup:

Now pictures!!!

Before pictures when they had her:

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:39 pm

Kind of bittersweet :crybaby:

Looks like she was happy and well taken care of in the pics from when she was with them. It has to be heart breaking for them.

Ellena
Bully Ambassador

Postby Ellena » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:53 pm

The reporter who did the story just called me.... apparently the girl who's dog it was... her dad is the sherrif and he called the paper and now they are running an update on the FRONT PAGE of Sunday's paper!

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”