When adopting a dog...

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
Ursa Arctos
Forum Junky

When adopting a dog...

Postby Ursa Arctos » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:44 pm

Hi, I have a question for everyone.

I found a listing that reads as following:

I have 3 pitbull puppies here, that I am putting up for adoption. A friend of mine's dogs bred accidentally, and she did not want to deal with the puppies. So now i have them and am trying to find a good home. I will be asking for a small adoption fee which I would reimburse once a vet proves that puppies get fixed.
----------

I'm wondering, when is it really "adopting" a dog, and when is it just "buying" a dog? And, what is the real difference between, say, adopting a 10 week old puppy from the pound, vs adopting a 10 week old puppy from some individual who might not know the most about dogs?

buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buckaroo » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:18 am

Adopting a dog is when your money is going to a non-profit 501 c3 organization or to a municipal shelter. Any other situation cannot really be called adoption or rescue.

GreddysAngel
Addicted to PBF

Postby GreddysAngel » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:15 am

I will be asking for a small adoption fee which I would reimburse once a vet proves that puppies get fixed.

:))

I agree with buckaroo, if your paying someone for a dog (who is not from a shelter, or rescue) then you are buying - not adopting!

Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:22 am

Rescue involves the puppies being evaluated by a professional, and being fully vetted according to age. THey need to be wormed, have had all appropriate shots and be spayed or neutered before going to a new home. It involves adoption contracts, home checks, reference checks.

Anything else is buying

Spurby
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Spurby » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:25 am

To be fair, maybe this person is legit and just trying to do the right thing by these pups?

The small adoption fee might be to cover the vacc's and other vet expenses. Sounds like she at least wants to have these pups altered, but needs some friendly advice to ensure she gets them done prior to adoption. If she doesn't have the money upfront, she can have the adopter pay for the altering prior to adoption at the vets. Maybe this can be suggested to her?

Sashapit11
Adolescent Bully

Postby Sashapit11 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:59 am

I am getting Sasha spayed on Wendsday of this next week. She got loose for an hour and a half on a beach while she was in heqat and may have gotten frisky with a male, her heat stopped and her nipples are getting a bit bigger. But,...... If I did have puppies then I would ask for a small adoption fee,... I will tell you why, because I would want to make sure that anyone who spent the $100 to "adopt" her will be more likely to provide medical attention to the dog. I also believe in other screening measures I just think that unless you are making a profit, it shouldn't be called selling them. 100 a puppy is nothing you could spend that much in cleaning products for them,... he he he anyways just my two cents.

rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby rednoseErnie » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:54 am

I understand that the people with the accidental breeding want to charge an adoption fee, and place pups in good homes. Thats great. But its still buying, not adopting.

Ursa Arctos
Forum Junky

Postby Ursa Arctos » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:04 pm

Spurby wrote:To be fair, maybe this person is legit and just trying to do the right thing by these pups?

The small adoption fee might be to cover the vacc's and other vet expenses. Sounds like she at least wants to have these pups altered, but needs some friendly advice to ensure she gets them done prior to adoption. If she doesn't have the money upfront, she can have the adopter pay for the altering prior to adoption at the vets. Maybe this can be suggested to her?

Yeah... I am a little bit skeptical in a way about how it's going to just be "buying" a dog otherwise. I mean, I know a lot of members here on PBF have rescued and fostered dogs who don't belong to an official organization, and post them up on Petfinder.. I have also seen people on these boards advise other members to charge an adoption fee just so that it only attracts people who can actually afford the dog.

I guess it's probably just a fine line. I think that if that big black guy I found wasn't returned to his home, that I *might* have worked on my own to find him a home, and I would have definitely charged a fee (we spent over 60 bucks on him over 3 days, cleaning, feeding, new lead/leash etc, and were planning to get him utd on shots).

Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:05 pm

There are lots of places in CA to get pits spayed/neutered for Free. You can also apply to PBRC for assistance in getting the dogs fixed. Finding these pups good homes, means getting them fixed and making sure they can't contribute to the problem they came from.

People can not be trusted to get this done on their own, accidents happen and puppies get stolen.

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”