Pixie's horrible accident *warning, graphic content*

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
PuppyPalace
Adolescent Bully

Pixie's horrible accident *warning, graphic content*

Postby PuppyPalace » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:03 am

On Sunday a few of the dogs played in the yard and then lounged. I had decided to go upstairs and called them in before doing so. They all came in. And then I noticed blood on the deck.

I initially thought a split nail, and as I checked Pixie, I saw that her chest was split open. She collapsed and I just screamed for Gord to come and call the emergency line (I have the vet's number memorized and it links right in). We checked which clinic was best to rush her to, and we duct taped towels around her applying pressure to her chest.

I thought she was going to die in my arms. I was a sobbing mess. She would close her eyes and all of my efforts to wake her would not suffice. It was the longest car ride and the most painful too. I was trying to think positive but I thought my little foster clown was going to die. We made it to the clinic and they rushed us into the surgery room. The vet was shocked by the gash. He was worried of it either having hit a lung or or her arteries.

After a full day in emergency, the vet sewed her up after ensuring she had no damage to her lungs or arteries. We took her home late that night with her insides and outsides sewn up. She had ripped apart her pectorals. She also has a drain tube installed. And when the drugs wore off in the back room, she slipped her collar and she dragged herself over to the vet techs. She just wanted to be held and touched. They were in love with Pixie, even sitting with her on their breaks. A few have even emailed and requested to help out in any way they can to help the rescue, including fostering and potentially adopting some of our restricted dogs. Oh Pixie.

I would urge people to do a check of their yard for ANYTHING that might cause damage. Pixie's injury was sustained because she's an odd ball faster than light dog who took a corner too fast and tumbled onto a metal C-shaped object that is in my yard. Please do this. If you don't need it in your yard and it could cause your dog damage, get rid of it.

I have to say that since this horrible ordeal, I have felt so much support for this little dog not only from people that have met her, but also from so many that haven't. There go the tears again. From the absolute second this girl walked into my home, I fell in love.

A local pet store where we do a lot of our shopping (Critter Jungle, Ottawa) offered to have their manager shave his head and one guy may be waxing his legs. In fact they've recruited a few more people for the task including Scottcho-Scotty who is a legend in the BIN crowd... It's almost like a shave-a-thon. Although we know that shaving heads is not by any stretch original, since the store came to us with the idea, we would not turn them down for a second as Pixie needs all of the funds we can get.

Please read up on the event "Shave a nog to Save a Dog" for Pixie:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=4641102265

Thank you for reading, and please, check over your yard. Please.

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:14 am

Oh. My. Gosh. That poor girl! I'm not sure if this is the right section (Mods may move it, but don't quote me on that), but I hope this makes people check their yards one more time for anything that may be dangerous.

I'm glad she is going to be ok. She's gorgeous!

georgiapblover
Super Bully

Postby georgiapblover » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:23 am

Get well soon Miss Pixie!

karini
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby karini » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:58 am

Thank God she is OK !!!!

count me in for a pledge

indianas_mom
Matured Bully

Postby indianas_mom » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:25 am

It was a horrible accident. We wish Pixie a speedy recovery and her foster Mom too !

Noelle (a BIN rescue) will pledge $20 and work on her family members for more.

klandmk
Adolescent Bully

Postby klandmk » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:33 am

OMG OMG OMG! I hope she has a speedy recovery and I am going to check my yard AND my garage when I get home!!!!
Good luck and cuddle her lots (which I know you are already doing)

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:57 am

OMG that is horrid! I would have lost it. What a crazy freak accident.

Please give Pixie a gentle snuggle from me.

I'll try to send a donation in today or tomorrow.

luvmywuff

Postby luvmywuff » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:12 pm

My Achilles got hurt one time really bad. Just keep your head up. They notice your strength and build off that. If she sees your faith in her she will gain her own faith in herself.

sara
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby sara » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:40 pm

I'm glad she made it! Also, thanks for the warning.
I'm confused about what exactly injured her. Could you clarify?

PuppyPalace
Adolescent Bully

Postby PuppyPalace » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:23 pm

There is a concreted-in old TV tower in the yard. It was cut down and three legs remained. I believed that the legs were pretty harmless not only because they were obviously there, but also because we had placed wood planks on the concrete to block off the area. I had put it on my list of things to remove, but kept thinking other things were more important. I didn't really know how to approach removing it. This week, I borrowed a sledge hammer and a really strong person, and destroyed the pieces.

It all must have happened very perfectly. Pixie must have turned the corner around the shed, tumbled, and just caught a corner. It's not high enough for her to hit her chest by walking by.

If I had just walked the yard I would have noticed it was exposed. That's why I hope people learn from this. Even if it doesn't look like much of a threat, even if there is the smallest chance that it could be dangerous, get rid of it today. It could be a pile of wood, a wire in a fence, a small garden enclosure with a sharp edge... just do your best to make your yard safe for your family and your pets.

I can't tell you how awful I feel. I really wish I could take it back.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:46 pm

aww dont beat yourself up.. hindsight is always blindsight.

I have had small injuries here and thought the same thing " i shoulda seen that coming!"

And sometimes even freaky things still happen. You did the right thing in taking care of it and the dog.

Sounds like a very scary adventure!

ilovemypits
Addicted to PBF

Postby ilovemypits » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:06 pm

Get better soon Pixie!!!!

Ellena
Bully Ambassador

Postby Ellena » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:29 pm

OMG poor Pixie! That looks like it had to hurt something fierce!!!!

Dont beat yourself up about it (although I know as a dog mommy its hard not to feel horrid and think its your fault), she will heal and thats whats important right! :thumbsup:

A side note though? About the bald fundraiser thing? Um, another Ontario rescue is already doing a bald fundraiser and has been for like a month and a half.... isnt that kinda stealing their thunder? (not assuming anyone knew, but thought it would be fair to bring it to attention....) :oops:

PuppyPalace
Adolescent Bully

Postby PuppyPalace » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:14 pm

A side note though? About the bald fundraiser thing? Um, another Ontario rescue is already doing a bald fundraiser and has been for like a month and a half.... isnt that kinda stealing their thunder? (not assuming anyone knew, but thought it would be fair to bring it to attention....)

I'm pretty sure shaving heads is not a copyrighted thing. And Ontario is a pretty big place. 8)

To clarify though, the pet store brought the idea to us, saying the manager wanted to do this for Pixie. There was not a chance I was turning it down. We don't have extra funds hidden in a ziploc baggy in between a mattress someplace for events like this. After all, neutering and spaying our 9 pups and then safely sending them out of province once they are up to date on vetting is costing a pretty penny. Not to mention the several other dogs that are in our care (I realize how unoriginal this all sounds to responsible rescuers). Anyhow, back on topic: the pet store got the idea from a high school that raises money that way. So the idea was taken from somewhere, just not where you think.

I think they are pretty different causes. One has the funds going to fight BSL (or so I assume because of the title - you see I hadn't heard about it until recently) and ours has it going towards Pixie. One is happening somewhere past Toronto, and the other in Ottawa. Probably about a 6-hour drive away. Ours is hoping to simply raise $1000 for one dog for her vet care.

The other rescue has already posted publicly how bummed out they are that we copied them. It actually offended the pet store that was trying to host a charitable event for our little bully, which sucks. I think what saddens me most is that the other rescue must have read what had happened to Pixie in order to know about the event, but they chose to spend their time commenting on their disappointment instead of sending us a few kind words of support. Maybe for some people this is nothing, and maybe I do lead a sheltered life but Sunday was one of the scariest days of my life.

But afterall, I'm new to rescue, I have a lot to learn and sometimes I forget that it's not always about the dogs. Sometimes, for some people, as you said, it really is about the thunder...

koryn21
Newborn Bully

Postby koryn21 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:39 pm

:goodpost:
another organization getting upset about how someone chooses to raise funds. how pathetic. really does make ya wonder what motivates people to do what they do. hmm?? raise funds to help innocent animals or bicker about how money is brought in... i could think of so many other ways to spend time....like...umm...helping the breed...yeah thats a way i could spend my time....or i could <b> waste</b> it being particular about "competitive" fundraising. :huh?:

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”