rescue ethics aka should these puppies be placed or not?

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
mydogroxy
Bully Ambassador

rescue ethics aka should these puppies be placed or not?

Postby mydogroxy » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:50 am

I am dreading having to make this decision at work so I'm looking for input.

We have a little pittie girl at the shelter right now, who gave birth to 4 pups the day after she came in. She's adorable, maybe 25 pounds (smaller than Wednesday!), but is the DEVIL! The first day she came in, she growled at our assistant manager and was understandably protective once she had her pups. She was protective and growly, but walkable. Then she bit one of our handlers and now charges the front of her run any time she hears anything outside of it (she's covered for privacy). She's so bad she's not being walked, just moved from run to run and actually crushed one of the pups during one of her episodes. I have no problem PTSing her even though I'm getting some resistance from the staff. Good thing I have the final say!

My problem is the puppies. I want to PTS the puppies. I think we have a super aggressive mom and an unknown father, but juding by the general quality of dogs we get in our city, it's a safe bet he's not an ideal specimen of the breed. I KNOW that I will get fought tooth and nail over this. We have a board of directors who is unhappy with our euthanasia rates (maybe they should stop by and see what we're dealing with) who will not be happy with puppies being euthanized. My boss understands genetics but is under pressure from the board and quite frankly, is a softy. And my staff just sees cute cuddly puppies - not the dogs they'll most likely become.

HELP!

WakeMeUp

Postby WakeMeUp » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:57 am

why would you even think of pts the puppies when they dont even know how to bit yet? i think thats just mean. you know you can train the puppies while theyre still young. Ill take one then if youre going to pts! im serious.

WakeMeUp

Postby WakeMeUp » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:03 am

i say give the puppies a change with proper training. what if you where in this situation but didnt have a voice to speak? oh id hate it. i understand genetics and everything but you never know until you are faced with it. please just give them a change and see how they act at a young age. maybe when they are weaned you can send each puppy to a nice loving foster home where you know the people will train them and teach them well. disapline them at a young age so they know right from wrong. make this "project pit pup". i just hope you dont put them to sleep right away. i think thats unfair too.
and please i will take in a pup if needed. just pm me

mydogroxy
Bully Ambassador

Postby mydogroxy » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:05 am

Well, it's my inclination to PTS because we already know they have bad genetics passed on from their mom. While training is helpful, genetics are huge when determining temperament

But I am willing to listen to ideas, opinions, etc., which is why I posted.

:thumbsup:

WakeMeUp

Postby WakeMeUp » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:10 am

where you able to take pictures? does the mom not look like a pit bull? i agree with you on bad genes and what you said is true, but what do you have to lose?

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:18 am

i would not adopt out puppies from a known aggressive mama dog. unless you or someone you know is willing to keep those pups till they are way older and you can find out which ones are good adoption prospects and which are not. maybe you'll get lucky and they'll all be sound and perfect.

wakemeup, what you have to lose is what little we have left of the pit bull breed. if these pups are adopted out and in 9 months or so start to become like the mama dog, there's a good chance they're going to end up in some kind of trouble. whether it's just snapping and growling and just being bad-natured or full-on biting and attacking someone, if you are involved in sheltering or rescue you just can't take chances anymore with letting unstable dogs--or dogs for whom the odds are not good--out into the public.

so if you have the resources to keep these pups till they are good and mature, great, go for it. if not, please do not adopt them out.

PuppyPalace
Adolescent Bully

Postby PuppyPalace » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:35 am

BabyReba wrote:
so if you have the resources to keep these pups till they are good and mature, great, go for it. if not, please do not adopt them out.

100% agree. You also lose that foster/shelter spot for a dog you know is sound, healthy and and would be a breed ambassador while waiting.

And also, good foster spots are hard to come by for the breed, so you might not get savvy folks taking these dogs on...

WakeMeUp

Postby WakeMeUp » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:49 am

BabyReba wrote:wakemeup, what you have to lose is what little we have left of the pit bull breed. if these pups are adopted out and in 9 months or so start to become like the mama dog, there's a good chance they're going to end up in some kind of trouble. whether it's just snapping and growling and just being bad-natured or full-on biting and attacking someone, if you are involved in sheltering or rescue you just can't take chances anymore with letting unstable dogs--or dogs for whom the odds are not good--out into the public.

Thank you I wasnt thinking of it that way. I just have a big heart and hate to hear puppies being put to sleep. Its a chocolate situation.

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:56 am

i totally agree with you there. it's a sad situation. :frown:

moochesmama
Bully Ambassador

Postby moochesmama » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:45 am

Definitely a sad situation. I would PTS the puppies. What would you tell potential adopters? Um, the mom is unstable and aggressive and will be PTS, and we don't know who the dad is....could you just watch them Veeeery carefully for 2 or 3 years and then PTS if they bite someone, especially one of your kids? You definitely couldn't keep that information a secret. And you certainly couldn't say - Well the mom is unstable and is being PTS, but we know that the puppies will be fine - because you don't know that, in fact you can strongly suspect the opposite.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:45 am

euth the pups too.. unless the shelter wants to hold on to them until they turn 2, or put them in foster care until that time, what choice do you have? it would be taking a huge chance adopting them out if the mother is so aggressive. i know what you are going thru.. maybe the shelter people who oppose you could be reasoned with?

GuardianAMBULL
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby GuardianAMBULL » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:57 am

I agree with Babyreba comments, unless you have a long term foster plan I would euth. :(

mydogroxy
Bully Ambassador

Postby mydogroxy » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:25 pm

There is absolutely no way the shelter would be able to hold them (in house or in foster) until they matured. We're an animal control facility - no can do. Besides the fact that these pups were just born and mom will be PTS on the 12th, so they'd need round the clock care.

Everything you guys are saying is exactly why I want to euth the pups, unfortunately some people just don't get it. I guess I will just have to psyche myself up and take everyone head on.

Pit_friendly
Matured Bully

Postby Pit_friendly » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:38 pm

I hate it as much as you and the others, but I would agree, euth'g them is far better than just adding insult to injury for our breed. :frown:

My heart goes out to you, you couldn't pay me to do your job! I'd be over run with animals. :crybaby:

HAPBTR
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby HAPBTR » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:11 pm

:crybaby: As much as my HEART dissagres, I completely agree with euthanizing them. Especially if the Mother is that bad, and you know the are is bad where she came from.

Was she agressive BEFORE the birth I'm curious?

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”