rescue ethics aka should these puppies be placed or not?

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
Becauseican79
Newborn Bully

Postby Becauseican79 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:17 pm

I would have to agree that they need to be put down. They are a liability to the breed and to their adopted family. The precious kennel space could house a dog that is more in need and of sound temperament.

mydogroxy
Bully Ambassador

Postby mydogroxy » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:00 pm

HAPBTR wrote::crybaby: As much as my HEART dissagres, I completely agree with euthanizing them. Especially if the Mother is that bad, and you know the are is bad where she came from.

Was she agressive BEFORE the birth I'm curious?

Well she was only at the shelter a day before giving birth. I was told that she growled at someone that day.

HAPBTR
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby HAPBTR » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:44 pm

mydogroxy wrote:
HAPBTR wrote::crybaby: As much as my HEART dissagres, I completely agree with euthanizing them. Especially if the Mother is that bad, and you know the are is bad where she came from.

Was she agressive BEFORE the birth I'm curious?

Well she was only at the shelter a day before giving birth. I was told that she growled at someone that day.

Poor girl... :crybaby:

1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 1lila1 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:36 pm

Ugh! Awful situation. I have to agree that euthanasia is the best option for mom and pups. There are too many sound dogs that desperately need homes. It's very sad!!

moochesmama
Bully Ambassador

Postby moochesmama » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:01 pm

mydogroxy wrote:There is absolutely no way the shelter would be able to hold them (in house or in foster) until they matured. We're an animal control facility - no can do. Besides the fact that these pups were just born and mom will be PTS on the 12th, so they'd need round the clock care.

Everything you guys are saying is exactly why I want to euth the pups, unfortunately some people just don't get it. I guess I will just have to psyche myself up and take everyone head on.

I really think if you matter-of-factly present the liability issue of not fully disclosing what you know about the mother to potential adopters, the board would HAVE to agree. Disclosing anything less is WILLFUL deception.

mydogroxy
Bully Ambassador

Postby mydogroxy » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:00 pm

moochesmama wrote:
mydogroxy wrote:There is absolutely no way the shelter would be able to hold them (in house or in foster) until they matured. We're an animal control facility - no can do. Besides the fact that these pups were just born and mom will be PTS on the 12th, so they'd need round the clock care.

Everything you guys are saying is exactly why I want to euth the pups, unfortunately some people just don't get it. I guess I will just have to psyche myself up and take everyone head on.

I really think if you matter-of-factly present the liability issue of not fully disclosing what you know about the mother to potential adopters, the board would HAVE to agree. Disclosing anything less is WILLFUL deception.

Our board is, can we say, a little out of touch? They would argue that if the dogs are raised properly they'll be fine, etc. Luckily, I've spoken to my assistant and we're in agreement about the euthanasias. We're just going to go ahead and do it and hopefully it won't go any further than that.

odessa
Newborn Bully

Postby odessa » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:08 am

You're doing the right thing under dire circumstances. If mom is (a) showing HA tendencies and (b) due to be euthanized and the puppies thus separated "too" early--it is not worth the risk. It would be a different thing even if a foster parent could take mom and babies and reevaluate mom after the pups are weaned, BUT even then, you have to find someone who is willing to work really hard (moms with puppies--sleepless nights!) with the realization that it might turn out to be all for nothing when they have to be euthanized anyway. That's too much to ask anything.

I don't envy you your job. Thanks for being so responsible, even though we all know it sucks.

klandmk
Adolescent Bully

Postby klandmk » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:50 pm

Totally agree. My heart breaks to even think about it....BUT my mind knows.....this is the kind of thing that responsible bully lovers (painful as it may be) have to deal with. I agree that you need to put the pups to bed. Sorry

moochesmama
Bully Ambassador

Postby moochesmama » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:39 pm

mydogroxy wrote:
moochesmama wrote:

Our board is, can we say, a little out of touch? They would argue that if the dogs are raised properly they'll be fine, etc. Luckily, I've spoken to my assistant and we're in agreement about the euthanasias. We're just going to go ahead and do it and hopefully it won't go any further than that.

If they pull the 'if they are raised properly' I hope you stop them in their tracks and say, "And, which 3 of you are stepping up to volunteer your next year for this?" Sorry if I'm butting in too much, but for some reason the idea of this out of touch impractical board has me all fired up...

mydogroxy
Bully Ambassador

Postby mydogroxy » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:51 pm

moochesmama wrote:
mydogroxy wrote:
moochesmama wrote:

If they pull the 'if they are raised properly' I hope you stop them in their tracks and say, "And, which 3 of you are stepping up to volunteer your next year for this?" Sorry if I'm butting in too much, but for some reason the idea of this out of touch impractical board has me all fired up...

Oh believe me! They have me all fired up over a number of things.

In any case, nature took care of things for us. The pups passed last night.

skam705
Adolescent Bully

Postby skam705 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:05 pm

even if you did place them in a foster home, or find a shelter to hold them until that age, they're going to be really hard to adopt out as 2 year old pits. I, unfortunately, agree with the euth decision.

moochesmama
Bully Ambassador

Postby moochesmama » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:59 pm

That's so sad... RIP poor puppies, you never had a chance :crybaby:

egostang
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby egostang » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:13 pm

Tough decision. But we don't know how much of mom's behavior is genetic and how much is a product of her past and current situation. She's in a shelter with strange smells and many other strange dogs around. I've seen a couple dogs that were neurotic in the shelter but fine once they got out.

indianas_mom
Matured Bully

Postby indianas_mom » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:34 pm

In any case, nature took care of things for us. The pups passed last night.

That is sad and I blame the ignorant former owners who allowed their aggressive dogs to breed.

Rescuers and shelters take too much heat for euthing dangerous dogs that never should have been bred in the first place.

ProudBullyMom
Newborn Bully

Postby ProudBullyMom » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:43 pm

:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:
those poor babies...u didn't say they were euthed...so how did they die?...just curious...not that it matters...they're all angels in my eyes...and now they can run free and happy in a way better place than here, Lord knows. :teardrops: :teardrops: :teardrops:

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”