found a pup. free to a good home

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
AriesGodofWar
Super Bully

Postby AriesGodofWar » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:29 pm

Maryellen wrote:NO SAME SEX ADOPTIONS!!!!!!! 2 females in the house WILL resort to fighting issues.. do NOT give this pup to this home.

contact rogers rescues or rawhiderescue in nj near you.. do not let this female pup go to a female home!!

Not to disagree, but I have 3 females, and with the proper precautions, it can be done. I used to hear this for years, and while there exists the possibility for same sex aggression, I would not state it as if it is a certainty and cannot be done. I know PBRCs position on it, I guess I just disagree from years of experience. I would say above all, find this poor little thing a safe and secure home that will provide the necessary structure and care that these dogs deserve.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:49 pm

while i dont disagree with you, the OP i dont think has any rescue experience, and how does he know the home he gave the pup to is willing to crate/rotate if it comes to the 2 females not getting along? or if they have more then just the one dogs experience? while its great he is trying to find the pup a home, he let the pup go unspayed and unvaccinated to a new home .. i am just voicing my concerns over the pup.. i do know same sex homes can work out fine.. hopefully, the 2 females will co exist fine their entire lives..

AriesGodofWar
Super Bully

Postby AriesGodofWar » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Maryellen wrote:while i dont disagree with you, the OP i dont think has any rescue experience, and how does he know the home he gave the pup to is willing to crate/rotate if it comes to the 2 females not getting along? or if they have more then just the one dogs experience? while its great he is trying to find the pup a home, he let the pup go unspayed and unvaccinated to a new home .. i am just voicing my concerns over the pup.. i do know same sex homes can work out fine.. hopefully, the 2 females will co exist fine their entire lives..

Very true. I was trying to give the OP the benefit of the doubt, but as a rule, I tend too give people too much credit too often. Above all though, I would not let the pup out of my sight before I had her spay. I am sure there has to be a low cost program around the OP. I know in St. Louis, if you qualify, OPSPOT will do if for like free or $10, or something in that neighborhood.

ilovemypits
Addicted to PBF

Postby ilovemypits » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:27 pm

I am sure if you search around you could find a place to get her fixed. I got my dog fixed for free just because of being part pit bull.

tonka tank
Newborn Bully

Postby tonka tank » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:29 pm

i found the pup, gave her a home, food and care for a night...trying my hardest to find a good family that willllll take care of her properly. she is getting fixed, under my living conditions there wasnt much more i could do living in a smaller house with plenty people and 2 full grown males. the family that has her will give her a better life that she was aiming for in delaware. her other female was very loving with the puppy she is a rescue and about 5 or 6. she seemed to want to take on a motherly role.

i personally feel if dogs are raised properly they can co-exsist just fine.. everyone said my adult male boxer(also a rescue) would never accept tonka and they have yet to have one issue, never even a growl over treats.

i appreciate all the info and advice.

LindsaySF
Bully Ambassador

Postby LindsaySF » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:09 pm

Thank you for taking her in.

I have my doubts about the female dogs getting along as this pup gets older, but I do hope it works out.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:55 am

unfortunately its not in how you raise them.. same sex fights are more frequent then opposite . rule #1 of pitbull ownership, is never trust your pitbull not to fight...i hope the new owners are bully savvy and if there is ever a fight they dont dump the new dog at a shelter..

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:29 am

If you are unable to afford to alter an animal before placing it in an adoptive home you can arrange to drop the animal at the vet's office to be altered that very day and have the adoptive family pick him/her up and pay for the surgery. This ensures the animal is altered before going to it's new home even when finances are an issue, like in this case.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:02 am

Murfins wrote:If you are unable to afford to alter an animal before placing it in an adoptive home you can arrange to drop the animal at the vet's office to be altered that very day and have the adoptive family pick him/her up and pay for the surgery. This ensures the animal is altered before going to it's new home even when finances are an issue, like in this case.

EXCELLENT SUGGESTION!!!!

But it sounds like the pup is already with the new family...?

pinkcow
Newborn Bully

Postby pinkcow » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:56 am

I am the mother of 3 pits and a cat. Two of my pits are girls and are lovers, and not only that, I foster an additinal fourth dog and it has to be female (my older blind male is scared of males now that he turned blind), and everyone gets a long fine.
With good management and a savvy owner your pup should be just fine! Thanks for saving her and finding her a home, and since they are around the corner you can make sure nothing bad happens and if they come across any issues they can come to you for advice!

tonka tank
Newborn Bully

Postby tonka tank » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:14 am

the wife in the family is a volunteer at our local shelter and we talked about what they probably would have done to the pup.
its sad but true. our town hates this specific breed :sad:
the pup is getting spayed, so far so good with getting along. with any dog i can understand why it would be a concern and their other pitbull plays well with friends and families dogs.

JCleve86
Forum Junky

Postby JCleve86 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:24 pm

The problem is not right now, the problem is when the pup matures. Either their resident gal might decide she doesn't like another adult female in the house, or the new pup may develop same sex aggro as she matures. It doesn't matter that they get along right NOW. Even many very dog aggro adult pit bulls will accept puppies.

I understand you did what you thought was right, but please contact this family about this issue. They need to understand that the dogs might not always get along, and they need to accept that and be ready to manage it when the pup gets older.

Genesis~N~Petey
Super Bully

Postby Genesis~N~Petey » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:03 pm

I have two female pitties and they do great, I also foster through the humane society and we have had females and again they did great. I do beleive that it depends on the dog. My dogs are not dog aggressive at all, they love anything that walks through the front door.

So yes I agree that it will ne to be monitered and the family nees to be prepared to crate and rotate but I agree that it could go fine.

As far as the spaying goes, if she isn't old enough, the contract was at least an effort. Yes she is inexperienced in rescuing but I hate that the OP is getting bashed for trying to help the dog.

Just my opinion, not trying to offend anybody

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:03 am

JCleve86 wrote:The problem is not right now, the problem is when the pup matures. Either their resident gal might decide she doesn't like another adult female in the house, or the new pup may develop same sex aggro as she matures. It doesn't matter that they get along right NOW. Even many very dog aggro adult pit bulls will accept puppies.

I understand you did what you thought was right, but please contact this family about this issue. They need to understand that the dogs might not always get along, and they need to accept that and be ready to manage it when the pup gets older.

:goodpost:

Now is not the concern. The concern is whether these owners are prepared to make major adjustments in their way of life if, a year or so from now, the dogs decide as mature adults that they don't want to get along. I went through this myself with my girl Riley. As a pup she was wonderful with my other females. It wasn't until months after she had gotten settled into my home and started to mature that problems began to crop up. And it was a major upheaval in the way I managed my dogs. Yes it CAN be done, but ideally the owners should understand what they may be getting into beforehand, so that they're not totally overwhelmed and confused later on.

No one is bashing anyone, and I don't think anyone meant for the OP to feel that way. We all understand wanting to help this dog. But the rescue may be for naught if the owners don't have full knowledge of all the possible consequences of having 2 females in their home. All we're saying is to please make sure they truly understand and accept that responsibility... now, and five years from now. :thumbsup:

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:09 am

Genesis~N~Petey wrote:As far as the spaying goes, if she isn't old enough, the contract was at least an effort.

Isn't old enough? Pediatric spays can be done as young as eight weeks.

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”