5 week old pit pups need foster/homes NJ

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

5 week old pit pups need foster/homes NJ

Postby Maryellen » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:06 am

there are 5 week old pit pups that are in a shelter. my rottie rescue that i volunteer for can get them out of the shelter in CT for me if i can find foster/homes/
Any helpers??
Maryellen

Postby moongirl » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:50 am

If I can get my hubby to agree....
When do you need to know by?
moongirl

Postby Maryellen » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:53 am

asap. they cant stay in the ct shelter as it is a HIGH kill shelter. i would have to contact rottie rescue to pull them for me, as one of the volunteers lives in CT. i cant foster any right now, i wont be able to untl after christmas probably. i also dont knw how many there are.
plus, you have to fill out a foster app.(unless if you are a rescue org too)
Maryellen

Postby moongirl » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:42 am

:crybaby:
I just spoke with my hubby.
He doesn't think it would be fair for us to foster right now
as we both work full time and the pups are so young.
I begged and pleaded.... I lost!
I'm SO sorry!!!
I've let everyone I know know the situation with the pups.
Should they be able to help, I will let you know ASAP.
moongirl

Postby Maryellen » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:51 am

no problem!!! thats totally understandable.
Maryellen

Postby Dsmman » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:35 am

The wife actually said yes! :) We can foster a pup. I'll PM you with my contact info.
Dsmman

Postby aaron kahn » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:10 pm

Dsmman wrote:The wife actually said yes! :) We can foster a pup.

That's great- have fun!!!
aaron kahn
Bully Ambassador

Postby pibblegrl » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:02 pm

I live in Ct...what shelter are they in? I would have to ask BF but does the shelter cover vet costs? I am very limited on funds right now...but if the vet bills are taken care of I may be able to convince BF to foster at least 1.
pibblegrl

Postby Maryellen » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:14 pm

i dont know which shelter in CT it is. the pups are all pit bull puppies that were confiscated during an abuse case. the mother dog was not found. the pups would be fostered until they found good homes. the spaying/neutering would be paid by me.
Maryellen

Postby Dsmman » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:20 pm

Awsome, let me know when you have all the info. :headbang:
Dsmman

Postby Maryellen » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:29 pm

i just sent another email to the woman in CT about the pups. i also asked for a picture of them, as adopting out pit mixes is sometimes harder . once i have all the info i will post it here. so far i have 2 fosterhomes, dsmmann and chea so far. anyone else?
Maryellen

Postby caped dog » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:50 pm

This is awesome that y'all are tyring to get help for these guys. However, please bear in mind that 5-8 weeks of age is critical socialization period for learning to be a dog. As a reminder, pups learn bite inhibition, ranking, and silent dog language through play within the litter and interactions with adult dogs. If at all possible, please try to place in groups of 2+ and set up play dates with more sibs to maximize pups exposure. From the research I have conducted, adult dogs cannot fully replicate the play and hierarchy of a tiny puppy sibling. Beseides, if you take more than one the little buggers will tire eachother out!!
Best of luck, M
tp://www.ddfl.org/behavior/pupdev.htm
http://www.beachescanineacademy.com/cri ... riods.html
http://my.execpc.com/~crzy1ess/49daymyth.htm
http://www.doberman.org/articles/puppy.htm
http://www.dogsites.com.au/internet_lib ... tages.html
caped dog
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby caped dog » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:06 pm

The thing is, Maggie is going to know it is a puppy as she has been exposed to a wide variety of things in the world. However, the pups world is exponentially smaller and will depend heavily on what s/he experiences from Maggie, the kitten, etc. Yes, it is grand when adult dog gives a low humming growl and puppy backs off, however, puppy learns bite inhibition in part by being bitten by those nasty razor puppy teeth that belong in his sibs head. Two is not so much more than one. Six is a lot. lol are y'all near enough to set up visitation on a regualar basis?

Here's the thing, we all hate the massive loss of pit bulls to euthanasia. And we hate the unstable pit bulls that screw things up for the rest of us. And research has proved time and again that pups separated from momma and littermates prior to eight weeks of age have a greater likelihood for behavior problems including a lack of bite inhibition and fear-reaction aggressions. Sure, people have dogs here that they got at 30 seconds old who grew to be *perfect* members of society, but the opposite is equally true. And anyone who has been around knows it.

As rescuers, it is our collective responsibility to make educated pulling decisions that maximize the likelihood for stable and well-adjusted pit bulls. And to stack the odds in the pups favor, using all the information and resources available to us as rescuers. To be able to tell the corner BYB that 5 weeks is too young to sell off his pups we must also walk our talk.
caped dog
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Maryellen » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:15 pm

roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao you crack me up
Maryellen

Postby caped dog » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:48 pm

adoptAshelterPit wrote:ill see what i can go about fostering two. if all else fails, I could bite the puppy and growl to immitate the mother and the rest of the litter roflmao

Yes but do you have good bite inhibition? and are you willing to file those fangs down to nice little points? roflmao

Maryellen, is there a reason you are not requiring foster homes to accept multiple pups? As a CGC evaluator, I'm certain you have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly. As adults it is difficult to ascertain the nature/nurture of behavior. At this point, you are in complete control. Rescue is nothing if not complex. Good luck and thanks for looking out for them.
caped dog
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Next

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs