5 week old pit pups need foster/homes NJ

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Postby Maryellen » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:11 pm

hey caped dog, i wish i could find someone to foster the whole litter. but i dont know how many pups there are to begin with. i am waiting for the girl in rottie rescue to get back to me about the pups. if there are only 2 or 3 pups i will try to get one foster home, but if not, i would rather pull them all and give them somewhat of a chance then none at all . the shelter they are in is a high kill shelter. the only reason why they are still there is the aco likes pits and she cant see the pups being pts because they are just babies. of course, if no one gets back to me then maybe another rescue stepped in to get them. i try to have one foster home for pups this young, but sometimes its hard.:)
Maryellen

Postby Maryellen » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:15 pm

tooo true caped dog, too true your post. we just recently had to euthanize 2 pit pups at 3 months old, they were found in a trunk of a car at 5 weeks old, but from the start they both showed aggression to humans. we worked with them and tried to give them every possible chance, to no avail. with all the poor dogs in shelters to begin with, these pups might not have a chance being taken so young. the worst part is when the aco took the pups the mother was no where in sight at the house. that is scary. i wont take them until i see them myself and see what they are all about. if they are anything like the 2 blues we had before, they will not be coming with me thats for sure. the aco will not adopt these pups to anyone but rescue, so at least thats a good start.
Maryellen

Postby caped dog » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:45 pm

Giiirrrrllllllll I totally hear ya. Bummer about the trunk pups- i'd be willing to bet that the stellar socialization opps available to puppies who live in trunks of cars is partially to blame. Not to mention the calliber of someone who would store their pups there, and then the blue wildcard. ICK. It is so very painful when you try and try and ultimately lose out. Many folks would not have been as brave as you to PTS the trunk puppies.

I consistently take on projects that may not be 100% bound for success, because it is a learning opp. and sometimes I feel i could not live with myself if I did nothing, but I will always stack the odds as much as I can in favor of the puppies/dogs. Glad to hear the ACO's are being choosy. If another group has snagged them, perhaps you could check in or pass along the info? Unfortuantely, being a rescue, as such, is not what makes a situation positive... I have seen more rescuers F.U.B.A.R things up to the point of being unrecognizable. Some local folks get so hyped on serving themselves and their concept of karma that they deny there are hard decisions to be made. Sometimes I feel "rescuers" do more damage than good. Image

I am so grateful to have this space to vent these frustrations and meet up with quality rescuers like yourselves. Keep us posted. Image (gentically incapapble of not using emoticons)
caped dog
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Steph-n-Wolf » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:00 pm

Any leads on a momma and litter that they can be thrown in with... or a momma who's pups just left? Check around... it is a long shot, but it would increase the odds of healthy and stable pups... Thank you so much for caring and doing your best! :bowdown:
Steph-n-Wolf

Postby Maryellen » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:52 pm

i thought about that too, finding a momma dog. i have already started asking around.
Maryellen

Postby caped dog » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:06 pm

good thinkin'. Now yer cooking with Crisco. Image
caped dog
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Steph-n-Wolf » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:48 pm

caped dog wrote:good thinkin'. Now yer cooking with Crisco. Image

You did that just to post that smiley, huh....

Wolf
Steph-n-Wolf

Postby caped dog » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:44 am

adoptAshelterPit wrote::dance: :yay: :yipee: :guitar: :cheerleader: :hero: :cheers: :nana:

I CAN DEFINITELY FOSTER ONE!!!!

Hey Chea- TYPO ALERT- Nine is spelled N-I-N-E not O-N-E. roflmao best of luck with him, her, it or them. You rock.

and yesssssss, i did quote Chea just so I could use those emots, a subject clearly you know something about... here's a refresher, not toward you, but worth a freakin' laugh:Image c/o WOLF Image
caped dog
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Maryellen » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:09 am

i still have not heard yet.:( omg i love the smileys!!!!
Maryellen

Postby Boo439 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:46 am

It seems like you guys get all of the dogs needing foster up there. I don't know of any fostering places down here, just dogs that are up for adoption. I wish I could help :(
Boo439

Postby Maryellen » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:53 am

Boo, have you tried the web to do a search? or the local shelter to see if they have a fostering program or other ways to help? believe me, there are MORE dogs in the shelters than foster homes for, thats for sure. there are a couple of shelters here in nj that work with foster homes, debrat is one of them that fosters for her local shelter. try that route, maybe there are some by you. most shelters would jump at someone saying they could foster.
Maryellen

Postby Boo439 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:58 am

I remember that at the shelter I worked at like 5 years ago, they had a fostering program. We had a girl hired that worked there for about 2 weeks. We got in a you pit bull pup and she said she'd foster him. She ended up quitting and taking the pup unaltered and everything. They stopped the program. We don't have any real nice shelters here, but I can always call and ask!
Boo439

NJ pit pups more info

Postby Maryellen » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:32 am

from what i was just told they are blue pups. uggh. the aco is keeping one that she fell in love with. she has been bottle feeding them since they came in. more info to follow. rottie rescue will transport them for me to me and pull them out of the shelter if i cant get there.
is there anyone in CT that can evaluate them for me if i cant get to the shelter once i find out where in CT theyare? i need to know if they are responsive to humans, wagging tail, taking corrections ok and not fighting back, etc.
Maryellen

Postby Maryellen » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:32 am

just found out the aco in CT has been keeping the pups at her house. :):) a fellow rottie vol/board member will be going there to evaluate the pups for me with her hubby and child and taking pics too for me. i still dont know how many there are yet.,or if they are male or female
Maryellen

Postby Dsmman » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:17 am

Maryellen wrote:just found out the aco in CT has been keeping the pups at her house. :):) a fellow rottie vol/board member will be going there to evaluate the pups for me with her hubby and child and taking pics too for me. i still dont know how many there are yet.,or if they are male or female

Cool, at least they're out of the shelter. :)) 8)
Dsmman

PreviousNext

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs