Friend of a friend in Michigan looking for help

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
lovebeingme
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Friend of a friend in Michigan looking for help

Postby lovebeingme » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:51 pm

Hey guys.

I received this message via Myspace after posting back and forth with a friend.

Any advice is appreciated.

If I still lived in Ohio I would offer to temp foster, but being in Florida, I'm afraid I can't directly help.

Thanks

Dear Jamie,

I'm Kell's friend Todd, I'm writing on Stef's page because that is the one Kell forwarded the messages to. We truly appreciate your offer for assistance.

To explain a little about what is going on. Back in Febuary I was injured at work. I broke my elbow and hip and also injured my back and tore a 2 inch section of my spine. So for the last 9 months I've been on workmans comp which just was not covering our bills. We used up any money we had saved but everything ran out and we lost the house we were renting. We've been staying with family for the last 4 months who allowed us to keep the dogs. I've finally been cleared to go back to work and was suppossed to start a couple days ago. Well a few days before I was to return to work I got a call from my employeer (I'm a truck driver) and was informed that there was a problem with the prescription I was given (methadone) for the back injury and federal regulations are that I have to be clean for 6 months before I can drive a truck again due to the addictive nature of the medicine and the chance of addiction and relapse. Well since I've been medically cleared to return to work I can no longer collect workmans comp and where we are now is a tiny town with no jobs so Stef and I are being forced to move back to our respective parents who live in much larger cities where we can find work. Neither parents will let us bring the dogs. We've been trying to find friends or family members who can take them for a couple months until I can get back to work and save enough to get our own place again, Stef works part time making OK money but until I can find a job we won't be able to save that 1st month rent plus security deposit. So far we have not had any luck finding a temporary home for them and there is no way we are willing to give them up. Plus most shelters in Michigan will put down a Pit as soon as we walk out the door even if we were willing to give them up for adoption.

The dogs are fixed and neutered. One is a 7 year old registered male American Pit Bull Terrier who was fixed after he fathered 1 litter (before we got him). He is fawn colored and has a pleasent nature. He does like to chew so we always get him a Kong. He sometimes manages to do some damage to his ears as both dogs are crate trained and he doesn't really enjoy the crate all that much. The other is a 4 year old white with a couple black spots (including , a real cute spot surrounding her tail, it looks like a bulls-eye) female that we adopted from a rescue org when she was 6 months old. The org claimed to have known the people they got the dog from and said both parents were full Pits (and her brother did look like it) but she doesn't look like it as she is much smaller than usual. She is an eternal puppy and just wants to cuddle and lick. She's the one that we usually hold when people come over because not everyone likes to have a dog climb over them. She was neutered as soon as we got her. Neither dog has ever showed any aggression and have been around other animals (we have 6 cats which a friend has been watching and they've always gotten along with other dogs they've been introduced too) and kids their entire life. The male lived with 3 kids until he was 1 which is when we got him. Like I said both have been crate trained though lately they have not been in the crate very often which is why I think the male has started scratching his ears when he's put in there, I've been home so he hasn't needed to be in there too often. I believe there are pics of the dogs in my album.

We have found a kennel that is pit friendly, there only restriction is that pits cannot have group play but the dogs will be taken out for short walks 5 or 6 times a day. We are trying to work a deal out with them as the male has food allergies so we would still have to buy there food and stuff. Still with Stef only working part time and me not yet working (though as soon as I get back to the parents I plan on finding any job available to start and will continue to look for something better once I have some income) the Kennel cost still will be too much and will eat up Stefs check plus money we don't have. We'd never be able to save for our own place again to provide a home for the dogs and cats. We've asked for nothing but money for x-mas in hopes of getting enough to be able to get our own place again but thats still weeks away.

So thats the story. I know Kell gave you some of the info (and got some of it wrong) but I wanted to fill you in on the whole story. Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Lastly, you have some beautiful dogs.

Thank You more than we can say,
Todd

lovebeingme
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby lovebeingme » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:40 pm

Anything?

Cheap kennels? Temp Fosters? Rescue Orgs? Encouragement?

These are good people who are not trying to "get rid" of their dogs, they are looking for some temporary help due to situations beyond their control.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:14 pm

I'm sorry, I wish I could help. We know how tough the MI economy is right now.
Good luck. I know there are a lot of MI members from the other side of the state.
Do you know what area the dogs are in?

AmberD
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby AmberD » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:40 pm

I'm in a dog-free apartment, sorry. :sad:

mroman
Super Bully

Postby mroman » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:08 am

I can not tell where in the state this person is. That might be helpful to anyone looking at this. It might also open up possibilities in Ohio or Indiana.

Mark

lovebeingme
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby lovebeingme » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:29 am

mroman wrote:I can not tell where in the state this person is. That might be helpful to anyone looking at this. It might also open up possibilities in Ohio or Indiana.

Mark

You're right.

Their Myspace page says Howell Michigan.

Mapquest tells me that's about 60 miles west of Detroit.

80 miles from Toledo Ohio

250 miles from Chicago....

seems they are in the middle of nowhere huh?

kristakmj
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kristakmj » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:25 am

howell michigan is not that far from ann arbor i believe thats still washtenaw county, im from michigan , but live in indiana now.Michigan humane society will PTS any pitbull period

i would offer to take them for a little bit but i already have 3 dogs im sorry . are they willing to split them up for the time being? maybe 2 different homes?

lovebeingme
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby lovebeingme » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:54 am

kristakmj wrote:howell michigan is not that far from ann arbor i believe thats still washtenaw county, im from michigan , but live in indiana now.Michigan humane society will PTS any pitbull period

i would offer to take them for a little bit but i already have 3 dogs im sorry . are they willing to split them up for the time being? maybe 2 different homes?

I will ask, I am sure they are willing to do just about anything at this point.

mroman
Super Bully

Postby mroman » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:52 pm

Howell is northwest of Detroit on the way to Lansing. Not quite in the middle of nowhere. Actually, it's situated close to any resources in Detroit, Lansing, or Ann Arbor. So I would think there are possibilities.

I do not have the ability to take an animal. But I have a suggestion of sorts. I understand they can not affort kennelling. But if they are responsible owners they should still be able to provide normal food and care costs. I guess if I were in their shoes, (assuming they have exhausted all personal and family options) I would stick my zip code into Petfinder and start checking with local rescues and shelters. If the family is willing to provide the costs of maintaining the animals they might get lucky and find a sympathetic ear to provide space for them. Especially if they have someone who can vouch for their situation and they are willing to pay costs. And being unemployed and waiting on employment, I would bet he could barter all of that free time he has volunteering and doing odd jobs for an agency willing to take them.

I would also suggest that not all of his financial solutions need to come in the form of a workman's compensation check. Since he's not eligible for the payments anyway, that means he can supplement his income however he wishes. There are some things in my life that I'm willing to scrub toilets for. (No offense to you toilet scrubbers out there.) And while Michigan's economy is in the crapper, there are still plenty of opportunities to make some dollars here and there (even under the table). I would be knocking on every door I could find to get whatever work I could. It may not be truck driver money. But it is only temporary and would get him by until the better job kicks in.

Mark

lovebeingme
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby lovebeingme » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:57 pm

mroman wrote:Howell is northwest of Detroit on the way to Lansing. Not quite in the middle of nowhere. Actually, it's situated close to any resources in Detroit, Lansing, or Ann Arbor. So I would think there are possibilities.

I do not have the ability to take an animal. But I have a suggestion of sorts. I understand they can not affort kennelling. But if they are responsible owners they should still be able to provide normal food and care costs. I guess if I were in their shoes, (assuming they have exhausted all personal and family options) I would stick my zip code into Petfinder and start checking with local rescues and shelters. If the family is willing to provide the costs of maintaining the animals they might get lucky and find a sympathetic ear to provide space for them. Especially if they have someone who can vouch for their situation and they are willing to pay costs. And being unemployed and waiting on employment, I would bet he could barter all of that free time he has volunteering and doing odd jobs for an agency willing to take them.

I would also suggest that not all of his financial solutions need to come in the form of a workman's compensation check. Since he's not eligible for the payments anyway, that means he can supplement his income however he wishes. There are some things in my life that I'm willing to scrub toilets for. (No offense to you toilet scrubbers out there.) And while Michigan's economy is in the crapper, there are still plenty of opportunities to make some dollars here and there (even under the table). I would be knocking on every door I could find to get whatever work I could. It may not be truck driver money. But it is only temporary and would get him by until the better job kicks in.

Mark

I will pass on this advice, thank you.

Minders73
Matured Bully

Postby Minders73 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:04 am

Good luck. I wish I could help but I already have seven of my own and one foster.

Is there any way you could get some pics of the dogs and more info? (How they are with other dogs/ animals etc) I have a friend at work whose dog had to be PTS recently and I know he has not gotten a new pup yet. It is a long shot but worth a try.

lovebeingme
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby lovebeingme » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:36 am

Minders73 wrote:Good luck. I wish I could help but I already have seven of my own and one foster.

Is there any way you could get some pics of the dogs and more info? (How they are with other dogs/ animals etc) I have a friend at work whose dog had to be PTS recently and I know he has not gotten a new pup yet. It is a long shot but worth a try.

Thanks. I'm supposed to get a call this morning to get some questions answered.

I will ask for pictures as well.

lovebeingme
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby lovebeingme » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:36 pm

Both dogs are good with other dogs, and cats.

Both come with crates, are UTD on vaccinations and spayed/neutered.

They will seperate if absolutely neccesary.

Will pay for food/care.

AND, here is a pic!

Please meet and help Fraya and Knucklez!!!!

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:34 pm

Have they tried contacting the rescues they adopted them through or other local rescues?

I'm a little confused are they just looking for a temp foster or to rehome?

lovebeingme
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby lovebeingme » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:52 pm

They are looking for a temp. foster. They DO NOT want to give up their dogs.

Mom is working nights as a Vet tech.

Once Dad is in his family's home (who will not welcome the dogs) he's willing to do ANY job to save for a place that will take the dogs.

I have not asked about the rescues they got the dogs from, I will ask.

The way it sounds they were personal rescues, but I'm not sure.

These are good people, who have answered every question asked, they have called me incesantly lol about any leads I might have.

I am hoping non DA, cat friendly, speutered, crate/house trained dogs who will have food/care paid for might be able to find a temp foster.

If I was near (or there was a way to get them to me) I would foster in a heart beat.

I hope we can come up with something!!!! *thinking positive thoughts*

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”