Rescue reality Check

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Rescue reality Check

Postby violet » Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:44 am

Rescue Reality Check

One of the things I have learned in my years of rescue is that to truly do rescue you have to be prepared to take full responsibility for the animals you rescue. By responsibility I mean you have to be prepared to have to vet them, feed them, keep them safe, housetrain them, train them in general if needed...whatever this animal needs..you have to be prepared to take care of it..YOURSELF.

There is this woman I know who calls herself a rescuer..and she likes to say she belongs to our rescue group. Unfortunately her idea of rescuing is to get whatever dog or cat that needs rescuing from its situation and dropping it off on one of our foster homes.This then leaves the foster home further overwhelmed both financially and physically. I understand wanting to help an animal out. It is a horrible thing to know that without your help this animal is going to be put down. But to rescue..you cannot just remove an animal from one situation and create another situation for someone else.

If you are getting yourself into a position where your own pets are lacking for care or you are lacking for your own care..then you are no longer rescuing. If you are putting someone else in the position of being the rescuer..you are no longer rescuing.

A few months ago someone I knew was having to face having their dog put to sleep as they were becoming homeless...again. I had previously taken this dog in for 6 months while they were between homes. I had helped with vet bills and food throughout the years. Each time they became homeless the poor dog went through horrible seperation anxiety and tore herself and anything she could sink her teeth into up. She chewed a hole through my laundry room floor and through my back door and tore up my curtains among other things. I do not begrudge the dog at all but this last time when they asked if I could take her in again I had to say no.I honestly felt it was just better for the dog not to be put through any more. She was a fear biter and suffered horribly when away from her owners.Sometimes to rescue..you just have to say no.

The simple fact is..if you are not able to take care of the animal you want to rescue....you need to say no. By all means make calls and if you find a group or person able to take the animal in then help them. If you can't then at least you have done what you could. Rescue is hard. It is depressing. It is painful to face daily that you CANNOT save them all.But every time you take a dog that has been abused, that came to you scared, hungry and lonely, and you turn them into a trusting happy dog..and then you take that dog and place them with a family that loves them and dotes on them..it is worth it. When 9 years after you have placed a dog..you get a letter full of pictures and a thank you note...thanking you for the years you gave that person the chance to love the animal they adopted and letting you know that that animal passed on to the Bridge after a happy full life..It is worth it.

Steph..I know you are hurting right now. But you are accomplishing BIG things.
violet
Addicted to PBF

Postby pibblegrl » Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:49 am

:goodpost:
It is heartbreaking, frustrating and at times you get discouraged.
But rescuing is so rewarding.
:cheers:
pibblegrl

Postby Boo439 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:48 am

You guys that rescue are awesome. You go through things that many of us will never experience and we appreciate your hard work. You can only do so much...
Boo439

Postby PitBullPride » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:43 am

Awesome posting..........
PitBullPride

Postby ammitnme » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:51 am

Awesome post Vi....I find myself in the very same position now. I helped get this stray off the streets, named him...hes been nuetered, and now is ready to come home from the vets and no one wants him. I am OBLIGATED (morally) to bring him home. Crimminies...the poor guy. Hes a beautiful lab huskyx. The welfare I help out with doesnt really have room for him at any of the fosters so tag I am it. So people be prepared for thousands of questions...as he is a pup of a year 1/2....yikes! Ammit will be so thrilled roflmao
ammitnme
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby aaron kahn » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:36 am

V- very good posting!

I've done much less rescue than Violet, or many others on this board, but can affirm thses sentiments- it is hard!

Steph- You are doing an amazing job!!!

Keep up the good work, everyone who is involved in saving lives!
aaron kahn
Bully Ambassador

Postby Steph-n-Wolf » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:33 pm

I had a county shelter euth a dog that I had a home for and had aranged with the shelter to come and pick up the next day.... It pissed me off and made me oh so very sad... Thanks for the shout-out Violet! :)) I am no longer dealing directly with that shelter, but instead with a humane society that will pull certain dogs and hold them there in safety.

All of what you said, Violet, is very important for anyone wanting to do rescue. There have been so many times that Wolf and I have found an ungent situation of animal abuse and neglect and acted before completely thinking things through. Obviously we have never harmed any animals or put them in dangerous situations, but it has made the life for the married humans tough at times. We have limits on when and how we can help, and are much better about sticking to them....

Animal rescue is stressful, sad, and can do real damage to relationships.... That just has to be known before people start bringing in animals.

Networking is very important... all of the rescuers I have seen burn out have been trying to do it all by themselves. It is important to have like minded people to TALK to, at very least.

Vet bills are going to happen. Animals need food. Behavior issues will force fosters to need to shuffle animals.... if you are lucky enough to have fosters. Home checks are a must. No matter how much you help, people will resent or outright hate you. These are things that people find out after their first rescue. .... Most people that quit active rescue work do it because of the people involved (the abusers/neglecters/dumpers, and the rescue community)... not because of the animals.

Prepair to cry. A lot.

The postiive side of animal rescue is wonderful! Amazing! Fantastic! It is so selfless and real... But people really do need to hear about the "other" side... and it is up to us that know it to show it.
Steph-n-Wolf

Postby ammitnme » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:17 pm

:goodpost: You people rock!
ammitnme
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby blover27 » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:42 pm

god bless you guys :bowdown: :pray :clap
blover27

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs