Akasha says...

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Akasha says...

Postby pocketpit » Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:06 pm

BEING HOMELESS SUCKS!

Though not quite homeless yet, Akasha is down to the wire in her search for a new home. I'm posting this in a last ditch effort to try and find her a foster or permanent home. I know that the PNW rescues are slammed right now but if anyone has any leads on what I can do with this girl PLEASE let me know. She's housebroken, crate trained, used to living in an apartment, good with kids, smart and eager to please. Her downfall is not being socialized with other dogs, she needs to go to an only home or one with a dog savy owner who has the time to slowly introduce her. I feel that with some work she might be compatible with an easy going male dog. She's actually afraid of other dogs and reacts negatively. She's made tremendous leaps and bounds just staying with me for a week. Her mom is very dedicated and has hung in there (I've had her on Petfinder for 6 months or so) but her unemployment runs out the first part of Dec. and she can't continue to keep her for much longer. Here's some more flattering photos lol
pocketpit

Postby Boo439 » Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:42 pm

Oh god, she is beautiful!!! I promise. When we buy property and have more room, I'm having a doggy apartment complex built. And a training field for Schutzhund lol I want to foster so badly. If I get any more dogs, I think I'll start getting letters from the association a-holes :po:
Boo439

Postby violet » Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:44 pm

Dawn..what is her Petfinder Link? It has gotten so darn hard to place the adult bully's :sad:
violet
Addicted to PBF

Postby aaron kahn » Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:57 pm

OH- what a beauty! I love the first photo! I *may* be able to squeeze out a few $$$, is this would help this good-looking dog!

I'm in Seattle, if your nearby- maybe I could help with socialization?

Aaron
aaron kahn
Bully Ambassador

Postby pocketpit » Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:43 pm

Here's her petfinder.com link
http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=2796380&adTarget=468petsgeneral&SessionID=41a51b550276e457-app2&display=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=&stat=

I know how hard it is to place adult bullies and with every one of my dogs being dominant I can not take her in. They are not the right kind of dogs to introduce her to and it makes rotation very difficult. And I currently have 3 fosters living here. I made the decison to not foster her but promised her mother I'd do what I could to find her a home. She's a great dog and I'm very frustrated that no one is interested. Other than her need to be an only pet she has no behavioral issues that I've witnessed yet. Basically her mom unexpectededly found herself a single mom, then got laid off work and is now taking college classes so she can get a better job. Her parents (who live out of state) will help her out for another couple of weeks but I have no idea whene they will put their foot down. They were the ones who convinced her she needed to find another home for Akasha.
Aaron, I appreciate your offer. :thumbsup: :sad: I'd take you up on it if I lived closer but I'm in Tacoma
pocketpit

Postby pocketpit » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:55 am

Bump

Update: Akasha has finally been introduced to a couple of the boys in the house here and had a blast rough housing till she couldn't breathe anymore. So it looks like she can be placed with male dogs who enjoy a lady who can hold her own in a wrestling match!
pocketpit

Postby K » Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:11 am

Once again I wish I could help... :sad:
K

Postby Dsmman » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:58 am

She is beautiful. :thumbsup: Too bad I live 8 billion miles from there :sad: .
Dsmman

Postby pack4kai » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:58 am

would she be able to stay with her family if she had $$ every month to help? I hope her ex is paying child support ( :po: ). I'm thinking pit support. If that's a viable option in your opinion how much per month would make the differance?
pack4kai

Postby aaron kahn » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:34 am

Thanks for the update! I'm glad to hear that she has the ability to mix and play with some other dogs! This will make her so much easier to place, and foster! Have you tested her with females? (This is probably in the first post!)

She sure is beautiful!
aaron kahn
Bully Ambassador

Postby pocketpit » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:16 pm

I've only allowed her an on leash intro to one female who's laid back. However this same dog is also a snob and does not typically like to play so she was very put out by Akasha's attempt to slap and jump on her. This of course resulted in a snarl and snap. Akasha was not intimidated in the least and from her response got the impression that she would gladly would have retaliated if things had continued the way they were going.
When I first evaluated her she fired up on my dog from a good 20 feet away. She could be distracted and redirected pretty easily so I figured I could get her to at least not act like an idiot around other dogs. But to get over that hump and actaully be able to get her to interact with males is icing on the cake!
When I return her today (she's here for some work) I will ask her what it would take for her to be able to continue to keep her until a home is found. I've tried not to be overly nosy about her financial situation but she and I both know that at this point it's do or die.
pocketpit

Postby Boo439 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:32 pm

I love the name!! Was she named after the vampire or is it just a coincidence? I LOVED Queen of the Damned :))
Boo439

Postby whiskeyman » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:46 pm

Boo439 wrote:I love the name!! Was she named after the vampire or is it just a coincidence? I LOVED Queen of the Damned :))

The movie or the book?

I liked both.

In my opinion the movie portrayed Lestat as he should have been. I thought it was a better representation of Rice's work than was Interview.

The book kicked ass and was 100 times better thanthe movie!!!

jeremy
whiskeyman

Postby murried2 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:32 pm

She is beautiful!!!! I hope she can find a forever home.

On the topic of "pit support"...when my parents got divorced my dad had to pay dog support in addition to the child support he was already paying.
murried2
Matured Bully

Postby pack4kai » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:58 pm

really? that's kind of cool. did your parents work that out or did the courts do it? what state were they in? if the courts did it it kinda ups dog''s standing in the bizzaro world of human laws....
pack4kai

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs