Piggy for adoption AGAIN... Philly PA

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Piggy for adoption AGAIN... Philly PA

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:48 am

Slechner, who fostered Piggy last year, just found out that his owner is posting him on craigslist as he cant keep him... Slechner is now in British Columbia, so she cant take piggy back, she also cant log on here for some reason, so asked me to repost Piggy for her... i am only helping her out this way, i am not able to take piggy or work with anyone that wants him, as i have too much personal stuff going on at home and i dont do rescue anymore..

for those that are interested in Piggy, i will get you in touch with Slechner so she can do the legwork and contact his current owner ..

here is Piggy,he is around a year and a half maybe, FULL of energy.... the new adopter doesnt have time for him anymore due to school, and he hasnt unfortunately put much training into PIggy...

please dont contact piggys owner to ream him out, his mind is set, and he wants piggy to have another home...

am looking for a good family with a yard to take him. . I love the little guy and would never let him into the wrong hands. If anyone does email me from craigslist, I require a background check, vet reference, and a home visit. I have not had any luck. Piggy is still a ball of energy even after all this time. I take him out in the mornings for a catch session. I even hired a dog walker to come and take him out (which is now getting too expensive). No matter what I do, I come home to a destroyed house. He has chewed up my couch, tore up my walls, and chewed my carpets. When I did contain him in the kitchen, he ate my cabinets. He has been kicked out of two doggy day cares permanently. And to make things worse, I start grad school at nights in March. I really need some help finding him a home with a yard and where someone will be home in the days.

Like I said I truly love him which makes this harder. I have visisted some homes and refused to give him to them in fear they will just give him up. He is def. a very high maintenance dog. If you can think of anything let me know. I am obviously not going to turn him over to someone on craigslist unless they really check out.

Let me know if you can think of anything.
Dave

crazy4pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby crazy4pits » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:06 am

Well at least the truth is out instead of him saying he found the dog. I would help out if I didn't have Kutcher here. I will starting meeting applicants next week. Once Kutch is feeling a little better. But we are thinking he will be adopted in 2 to 3 wks. If Piggy is still looking for a home by then I maybe able to foster the him.

Keep us posted

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:18 am

he would be adopted under your name, since the current owner is not a rescue group.. i will forward your email to him if you pm it to me)

moochesmama
Bully Ambassador

Postby moochesmama » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:27 pm

Does Piggy not do crate? Why not crate him?

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:39 pm

the guy refused to crate him.... so now piggy would need to be crate trained all over again..

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:39 pm

Piggy's owner does not believe crating is appropriate confinement.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:11 pm

nope... slechner and i tried and tried when she placed him with the guy, and he refused..

if this shouldnt be here just remove it, i know its more of an owner surrender, and i completely understand, initially i thought a rescue was involved since the guy paid the rescue the adoption fee, but they are stating that they are not responsible..

karladaune
Bully Ambassador

Postby karladaune » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:01 pm

Maryellen wrote:if this shouldnt be here just remove it, i know its more of an owner surrender, and i completely understand, initially i thought a rescue was involved since the guy paid the rescue the adoption fee, but they are stating that they are not responsible..

:frown:

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:16 pm

:crybaby:
Poor Piggy. Good Luck buddy!

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:10 am

Maryellen wrote:the guy refused to crate him.... so now piggy would need to be crate trained all over again..

:frown:

davesha

I am the owner of Piggy

Postby davesha » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:17 pm

No I do not believe in crating a dog 10 hours a day. I think it is wrong. I have sacrificed a lot not to crate him. I have owned pits before. I had a blue that was put to sleep two years ago due to cancer, he was never crated. I potty trained piggy without crating. For all of you who think I am a bad person for giving him up, here this. Piggy has had a great life at my house. Was walked daily (which I paid for). I was spending countless amounts of money for doggy day care, which he was eventually permanently kicked out. He was taken to the dog park everyday and had many play pals. Eventually it was obvious Piggy is not a city dog and does not like to be alone. Neighbors would tell me he cried all day. Because I love him I am sending him to a home with a yard and someone who is home throughout the day. He will also have a play companion. I dont need to be judged by anyone. I have done everything in my power to make things work. I live alone, work full time, and go to grad shcool. For those of you who crate their dogs 10-12 hours a day, thats fine. I am not able to do that without worrying all day. I found Piggy an amazing home where he will be loved and where I will still be able to stay in his life.

davesha

One more thing....

Postby davesha » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:22 pm

For you who say.."now he will have to be crated" not true. The owners are not crating him. He will be out with another dog in the yard playing all day. I know you all think you are Pit experts but I have own a pit before and he lived a very happy and great life. I have had dogs my whole life and do not need to be judged by anyone on this blog. I support Pits and will always do anything to help them. Everyone on here needs to slow down on judging when the whole story is not presented.

SFBullyGirl
Addicted to PBF

Postby SFBullyGirl » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:41 pm

Is this family prepared for the possibitlity that they have to crate him or rotate the time they spend with him should he and his new housemate not get along at some point, or will they then re-home him. This is definitely something to keep in mind especially with a pit bull and one who is such high maintenance as Piggy. I hope he finds his permamnet home with them but this is something to ask them before you hand him over.

davesha

Piggy

Postby davesha » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:50 pm

I had them come and see him in action to actually get an idea of how energetic he is. They were referred by a coworker. They currently have a female boxer with the same energy level. Piggy and her get along fine. I have met with many people since deciding to let him go, they are by far the best candidates. They understand what they are getting into. They are looking forward to it. They know if they ever have any problems, I will be more than happy to take him back. Like I said, in no way do I want to give him up. I am obviously going to miss him greatly when I come home to an empty house. This is the best situation for him. He will no longer be alone all day and he will have a yard to play in. Whether anyone believes it, this is going to be much harder on me than it will him. If I did not care for him at all I would just release him to the shelter or the first person that contacts me. I do not believe in owning a dog and just keeping him caged all day. That is no life to live.

SFBullyGirl
Addicted to PBF

Postby SFBullyGirl » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:53 pm

Well it sounds like you put alot of work into finding him a new good home, it is sad you had to give him up but I hope this one works out for him

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”