3 siblings....compassion case.

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
pittymomma
Bully Ambassador

3 siblings....compassion case.

Postby pittymomma » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:08 am

As some of you know BIN rescue does compassion cases, our compassion cases are for dogs who really shouldn't be up for adoption but have just really had a crummy life and deserve a little something before they head off to the bridge. Or in some cases dogs who are on the brink- could go either way.

Normally there would be one dog who could get pulled for a compassion case but we currently have a situation of 3 and we can not leave any behind.

The dogs were seized as pups and have been locked away in the court process, so they haven't been exposed to anything and only know the routine of the shelter life. Unfortunately these dogs didnt have owners willing to fight for them and be their voice, they become forgotten and voiceless.

They are NOT agressive in any way otherwise we would not pull them for the compassion program, they are just very nervous, shaky, fearful but each of them does try to engage in human touch.

We could use foster homes that are strong enough for compassion cases it's a different take on fostring you are taking in a dog who will most likely be pts in a month and its all about love and spoiling and not working with any issues or training.

Here are Bubba, Buffy and Buster

If you are interested in learning more about the compassion program or perhaps would be willing to compassion foster one of the three amigos please pm or email us. bullies_in_need@hotmail.com or if you would like to send a donation to one of the dogs to buy them a special treat please paypal bulliesinneed@gmail.com

Thanks
V

MOgirl1982
Newborn Bully

Postby MOgirl1982 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:49 am

I don't understand. Why would they most likely be PTS in a month? Even if they found a permanent home? I'm not trying to question what's going on at all, I just haven't ever heard of this before and would like to understand it better.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:10 am

I think what she's saying is that these dogs are not good candidates for adoption, but deserve to be spoiled and loved before going to the bridge. Like, normally they are not the type of dog a rescue would want to pull and place in a home. Although they are not aggressive, they are not a good example of the breed.
Does that make sense? (please correct me if I'm wrong, pittymomma)

MuttsMom
Matured Bully

Re: 3 siblings....compassion case.

Postby MuttsMom » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:20 am

pittymomma wrote:As some of you know BIN rescue does compassion cases, our compassion cases are for dogs who really shouldn't be up for adoption but have just really had a crummy life and deserve a little something before they head off to the bridge. Or in some cases dogs who are on the brink- could go either way.

I have never heard of anything like this...but wow I have tears in my eyes just reading that you do this. All I can say is thank you for loving these dogs as nobody else would and :hug: :hug: :hug:

Sashapit11
Adolescent Bully

Postby Sashapit11 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:06 am

So, I would like to contribute this with food for thought, Sasha, my second daughter, when we picked her up from the 18 yr old who had rescued her from being shot by his friends dad; was nervous about everything you can imagine, would flinch everytime someone touched her or avoid touch altogether, and would shake nonstop and whine. Sasha now, is another well socialized Pit with people and dogs, obedient for her age (1 yr), and whose nervousness has retreated almost completly. She doesn't shake on walks (unless she sees a dog, bird, or cat), jump to the other side of the sidewalk when a cars pass, or run into the street when someone walks on the sidewalk. She still pulls, (unless I'm walking her!! He he he) but My main point here is if they haven't shown "unadoptable" traits, why would we be so quick to assume they are beyond help. I fully understand that dogs with high anxiety and fear are more challenging and do take special care to learn to behave in a normal manner, and I understand the concept of "Breed representatives" but in this case the dogs have been in a shelter environment from very early on in their lives and so they have not had the socialization, love, and training that they would have from even one previous owner. In some of the earliest experiments using lab animals the scientists would misinterpret reactions to experiments because they failed to take into consideration the impact of containment, nonstimulation, and isolation on their subjects. I would hate to see the world without Sasha-- She definately would have been unadoptable, but represents the breed beautifully.

MLK SEATTLE MARCH 2008

The Police,.......
[IMG]http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1845/8538418/18878770/300356286.jpg[/IMG]

The People,...........
[IMG]http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1845/8538418/18878770/300356281.jpg[/IMG]

Happy, Calm, Beautiful girl,.......
[IMG]http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1845/8538418/18878770/300356267.jpg[/IMG]

Sashapit11
Adolescent Bully

Postby Sashapit11 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:08 am

I swear I'll never get the picture thing,,. Gosh Darnit!!

Pitstorm
Newborn Bully

Postby Pitstorm » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:52 am

We're sending a donation in for Kenna and these 3. I wish we could help more. :frown:

Can it go either way with these cases, become adoptable or not? I think the big thing is that if they don't get out of the shelter we will never have the ability to properly assess them and give them a chance to become great socialized dogs or just live a life of luxury until it is time to head to the bridge if they can not be rock solid breed ambassadors that got out of Ontario (I'm assuming if adoptable they could not stay in Ontario).

Has everything with the courts been wrapped up? Can it also be due to the fact that they are involved in court cases that they are not adoptable dogs. Can the courts still ordered the dogs to be destroyed?

pittymomma
Bully Ambassador

Postby pittymomma » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:07 pm

normally they are not the type of dog a rescue would want to pull and place in a home. Although they are not aggressive, they are not a good example of the breed.

Bingo!

have never heard of anything like this...but wow I have tears in my eyes just reading that you do this. All I can say is thank you for loving these dogs as nobody else would

I know of a couple rescues (ones that I admire greatly) that do this but I don;t think many post publicly as it's hard to justify sometimes why you are pullng a dog to ultimately put them to sleep (Rescue is suppose to be happy right LOL??)

My main point here is if they haven't shown "unadoptable" traits, why would we be so quick to assume they are beyond help. I fully understand that dogs with high anxiety and fear are more challenging and do take special care to learn to behave in a normal manner, and I understand the concept of "Breed representatives" but in this case the dogs have been in a shelter environment from very early on in their lives and so they have not had the socialization, love, and training that they would have from even one previous owner.

Right but the same thing can be said about the dog who lived there entire life on the end of a chain and the only attention they received was a couple of kicks when the owner came home, this dog was not socialized, not exposed to anything lived in isolation but still possesed enough of the bully gusto to land a coveted spot in a rescue by being a highly biddable dog when a rescue went through the shelter.

I have my own girly who was never socialized and spent the better part of her developing months locked in a basement, she is a good dog to me and to those she meets but she is atypical of the breed and if I met her in a shelter today to take her into our program and the next cage over had a bouncy happy go lucky gotta see the world type of bully - thats the bully I am pulling.

Basically compassion cases are the last resort for the dog. They either get out of the shelter are given a couple of months to be shown what it feels like to be loved, have self worth and leave the world peacefully or they get pts in the shelter.

If for some lucky chance one of the dogs shows great promise then of course we would consider them for adoption after they kicked in foster care for a good while, but the reality is chances are these squishy heads just wont make it.

We are in Ontario with a candy store of pit bulls to choose from and only the creme of the crop get a place in rescue.

I hope tht clarifies abit of why we do compassion cases.

V

bullheaded
Matured Bully

Postby bullheaded » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:31 pm

First of all, I would like to say thank you. You do such wonderful things for these dogs. Please give them kisses from us. It is so sad their owners did not care.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:05 pm

V, I think you have made great points in your post about creme of the crop dogs getting into rescue.
I just wanted to point out that BIN has PRIMO dogs right now who are struggling to find suitable homes. It is much more difficult to find suitable adopters who are able to take in and work with cases such as anxiety and fear. No one is denying that it CAN be done, I myself have worked for 3 years with a dog of this type (locked in the basement with no socialization.. the dogs scattered when the light was turned on because they had never seen one before, ie. She is a litter mate of the dog V mentions in her post above). She has grown by leaps and bounds, but it takes an extremely dedicated owner.

If you can't find homes for the dogs who are perfect examples of the breed, just imagine how much harder it is to find homes for these dogs.

PuppyPalace
Adolescent Bully

Postby PuppyPalace » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:42 pm

If you can't find homes for the dogs who are perfect examples of the breed, just imagine how much harder it is to find homes for these dogs.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

We're still going to try and give them something. We're accepting donations to bring these dogs special treats at the shelter and hopefully we will be able to find placement for them so they do get a shot at a little love. We realize it's not a dramatic big-deal media case - but I think it matters.

Tanya

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:21 am

I think it matters too and is an admirable thing that BIN does. :thumbsup:

Ellena
Bully Ambassador

Postby Ellena » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:36 am

Thanks for helping these three V..... even though not all dogs are good canidates for adoption, all dogs deserve some love before they pass to the other side.

JCleve86
Forum Junky

Postby JCleve86 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:02 am

I am hoping that when I am done with school and settled in to be able to set up a similar program with our local shelter. It would be a major uphill battle as they do not adopt out pit bulls, period...they are only released to rescues and only in special scenarios (ie the shelter workers really like the dog and the rescue has been approved). I think the "liability" is the hugest issue (the board there with the exception of their newest member, the president of PBRC 8) has always found pit bulls to be evil, to put it short). But they have slowly been making small (very small) steps towards a more positive approach to the breed, so hopefully in due time we could in fact arrange a "compassion care" program here.

I'd compare it to end of life care in people...you can't "cure" what is going on at that point (in the dog's case, an imperfect temperament)...you just provide for the utmost comfort and then let go.

I think it's awesome and I'd love to be able to be involved in such a program. It's not the dogs fault they were born with shoddy genes...they aren't safe/ideal to adopt out, but that still doesn't mean they don't deserve love.

pittymomma
Bully Ambassador

Postby pittymomma » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:26 am

I'd compare it to end of life care in people...you can't "cure" what is going on at that point (in the dog's case, an imperfect temperament)...you just provide for the utmost comfort and then let go.

Jamie you broke it down perfectly!! I love how you defined this!

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”