Great foster homes are popping up everywhere!

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Great foster homes are popping up everywhere!

Postby Rumpley » Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:01 pm

Man, this must be a karma thing for all of our hard work with the local bullies, but we are getting a good flood of interest in people contacting us to foster bullies :peace: :peace: We have not had to go looking for foster homes one bit...super strange!!

The only seriously sucky part is that we're holding off pulling dogs until we find out in this godforsaken country if they're even going to be allowed this coming year with all the talk going on :roll: Sadly, I don't want to be in the position where I'd have to euth all my foster dogs, should the politicians here decide to follow suit with Ontario's madness.

I just wonder if all breed rescue groups get offers like this????? Anyone??? We have some seriously stellar responsible people coming to us, asking for foster bullies, so they can help. Maybe it's because we're the only pit friendly group in BC, so bully breed people wanna stand up and represent :headbang:
Rumpley
Bully Ambassador

Postby violet » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:57 pm

I have quite a few foster homes. I get alot more offers than actual takers tho. I think some people WANT to help but then when push comes to shove..there is usually an excuse.
violet
Addicted to PBF

Postby dawgdays » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:48 pm

Hard times seem to bring out the angels. We get our biggest waves of new helpers after something terrible happens in the news. It's great that people are getting of their duffs to lend a hand, and that your spotlight is shining bright enough to reel them in.
dawgdays
www.BadRap.org

Postby Rumpley » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:11 am

Heh, that's an interesting concept - I think to some extent HugaBull is riding the wave of pit bull paranoia amongst the owners here. I don't know how "willing and able" people would be if they didn't feel at least a bit of pressure right now.

The minute there was a bite this summer, we were flooded with volunteers. People I think need the idea of joining a group, when they get all scared about losing their dogs - it sadly inspires some people to help. Regardless, it's ended up getting us some pretty rock solid people who are "workers not talkers" the best kind of volunteers :headbang:

Honestly, I just feel stuck between a rock and a hard spot - we somewhat have our hands totally tied while we wait and see if we can even own these dogs 6 months down the road..
Rumpley
Bully Ambassador

Postby Spurby » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:28 am

What is the status of the proposed BSL there Rumpley? I thought i read somewhere your premier was against BSL, though i could be wrong.

So, you have all these willing foster homes, but you don't want to pull any dogs because there 'may' be a ban? Most likely, if BC does enact BSL, they would have a grandfather clause, so the dogs in your program would be safe from being PTS.
Spurby
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Rumpley » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:26 pm

Our status is that so far, the last comment made by the AG was "we are not going to do a breed ban just because Ontario is doing it." But that was a few months ago, and now certain BC cities have started to lobby the AG to consider breed bans.

Kelowna, Victoria and Vancouver are tossing the idea around, and there are probably more that I don't know about. I think basically they're all waiting to hear the verdict in Ontario, and are going to seriously jump onboard should it be a breed ban.

Picture us as being a month or two behind in Ontario terms right now. We know "something" is coming in the New year as far as certain municipalities are concerned - we just don't know how bad a fight we're going to be getting into. :roll: We know Vancouver's report is coming out in January, and we're trying to be involved right now, to change minds and be proactive, however if that report supports a ban, it's gonna be big trouble for us!!

So that being said, yes technically our dogs might be considered grandfathered, but most likely not, as they are not "owned" by anyone merely fostered. And try getting someone to adopt one if a ban is put in place - that's totally impossible. The only people who will have pitties are the ones who have grown attached to their dogs, no one is going to be looking to adopt one, that's for sure. So right now, we're stuck between a rock and a hard spot for sure as far as our rescue efforts are concerned....
Rumpley
Bully Ambassador

Postby aaron kahn » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:58 pm

Rumpley-

Can you tell us who, in Victoria, Van, and Kelowna, that we would want to contact now- telling them that our tourist dollars will NOT go their way if they choose to enact breed bans? There is a new poster/member here (MOrgan) who sounds to be wanting to get going on things regarding BSL- and has some experience.

It could be useful NOW if there was a campaign from Washington and Oregon- saying we will NOT spend our money where our dogs are not welcome!

thanks,
aaron
aaron kahn
Bully Ambassador

Postby pocketpit » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:44 am

Excellent idea :aha:
pocketpit

Postby pack4kai » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:58 am

:thumbsup: i really like the idea of international effort, also makes a great story. dom talked to a seattle times reporter today...don't know if they'll pick up yet, but there was some negative press on chanel five's 11:00 pm news so if they get a couple of letters, really even just one or two, our chances will increase. spurby mentioned badrap.com. does anybody know if there's anyone here from that group? i plan on contacting them monday (when my school stuff is done) but maybe there's already somebody from that org. here?
pack4kai

Postby barbponys » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:12 am

Morgan,
Dawgdays is Donna from Badrap.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby pack4kai » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:49 pm

cool. we need some pointers here, and they've clearly got their sh8t togather. our goal is to have a site up by monday but i'm in a foul :po: mood today, so who knows.....i've discovered i'm not a nautral 'dom'. i'm getting sick of telling everybody what to do around this house....sigh.....back to my proverbial whip :whip:
:tongue:
morgan
ps. pocketpit & aaron: on the bright side, she's acting like a 'normal' pitbull now....I think she's going to do damage with that wiggle butt of hers and those kisses....she just about causes WWIII everytime she gets to meet a new person :roll:
pack4kai

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs