need a permanent or foster home - anywhere, but soon!!

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

need a permanent or foster home - anywhere, but soon!!

Postby seaside3 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:43 pm

I am posting again re: Taci. As I mentioned in an earlier post, she is 2 years old and approx. 45 pounds. She is house broken and utd on her shots. She has been kenneled for over a month b/c she displayed some aggression w/ the other female dog in her house. So...she must be the only dog, or be in a house w/ someone willing to alternate dogs in and out of crates. Here's a link to her picture and additional info...

http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action ... mpl=&stat=

I am working w/ her owner in the hopes of finding her a permanent or foster home before Christmas - she has been kenneled for much too long and I am concerned that she may become "institutionalized." If anyone, anywhere out there can provide this girl w/ a foster home, or a permanent home, for the holidays, we would be eternally grateful. She is posted on petfinder, and I've instructed her owner to post her info on pbrc.net - but this site seems full of so many wonderful, pit bull savvy people that I am hoping someone will see the posts about Taci and offer to help.
seaside3

Postby BabyReba » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:45 pm

Seaside, where is your girl located? You may have told me and I've forgotten, but what town is the kennel in? Is she a dog I could meet locally from the Baltimore area?
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby seaside3 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:04 pm

BabyReba -

She has been relocated to a kennel in northern VA - I'll get the info f/ Kathy, her owner and post it as soon as i hear f/ her.
seaside3

Postby seaside3 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:14 pm

BabyReba:

She is being moved to the Blue Ridge Vet Assoc in Purcellville, VA...no clue where that is b/c I'm not originally from here. Do you need more info about the dog or did you just want to see her to evaluate?
seaside3

Postby BabyReba » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:31 pm

Well I was hoping she was in the Baltimore area so I could meet her, but that's actually quite a hike for me. If she was in closer proximity to Bmore City, I would have tried to do a simple eval on her to see whether I could recommend her to anyone looking for a single dog in a single-dog household, but I really can't make it all the way out to Blue Ridge.

I'm going to send Tacy's information to a guy named Algie. He applied for one of our pups, but he really wasn't a great fit for any of our dogs, partly because he was in NoVa and it was probably going to be easier for him to find a rescue local to him to work with.

Since I have not met Tacy, I can't "recommend" her to him, but I can at least get him to her Petfinder page and see if he wants to contact you guys about her. I know he was eager to get a dog soon.

I know you want to place her by the holidays, but I have to say, I've been in pit bull rescue in this region for a couple of years, and the holidays seem to be the time when most people are giving up their dogs around here. Maybe you'll find it to be different in NoVa, but I personally have had more people contact me to try to find homes for their dogs than I have potential adopters. Good luck, maybe Algie will call you guys on Tacy.
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby seaside3 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:36 pm

BabyReba -

Thanks for the help. I can get the contact info for the behaviorist that has worked w/ Taci if you'd like to speak with her directly. Tell Algie he can either contact Kathy directly or contact me at slcapalbo@law.howard.edu. I sometimes hate to have people contact Kathy and then get her hopes up only to be disappointed. And i know what you mean about the holidays - I'm not holding my breath that we'll find her something in time. She was just moved out to Blue Ridge f/ Rockville today I think. I guess Gina f/ Bully Lovers prefers that kennel out there to the one she was at in Rockville, and Gina knows her stuff. She's working w/ Kathy also to find something for Taci. Let me know what Algie says.
seaside3

Postby BabyReba » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:40 pm

I just emailed him and told him to contact you guys directly if he's interested in her. Which I'm sure he'll do if she is what he is looking for.

I'm glad Gina's helping--I'm sure she'll do whatever she can to help find the best home possible for Tacy!
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby seaside3 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:47 pm

Great - thank you so much! Did his application seem good aside f/ his location in relation to Baltimore?
seaside3

Postby BabyReba » Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:01 pm

Yes, it was good . . . the only things of concern on it were that he needed some more education on bull breeds, which we were providing to him in limited doses, and he also wasn't fond of crating--he really doesn't seem to understand that some dogs are safer in crates and should not be free in the house when left alone. My gut instaict was that with some education, and the right dog, he would do OK. He has experience with pit bulls through a friend that he dog sits for regularly, too, which is a plus.
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby seaside3 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:05 pm

Well, the good news is that Taci is housebroken, so if he's that opposed to crates, she probably doesn't need one.

I never understood why people were so adverse to crating...it's such a wonderful tool if the dog can handle it. But i have had a couple of dogs (pits) that hadn't been crated and were completely housebroken, so when i tried to crate them, they became like wild animals. b/c they were housebroken, i was able to find one of them a great home where he doesn't need to be crated and he's doing fabulously. the other one, poochie, is still at the kennel (i have to crate my dogs b/c i have a cat who was here first and is used to roaming around). I posted Poochie's picture and info on this board earlier today.
seaside3

Postby seaside3 » Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:10 am

BabyReba -

Did you ever hear anything f/ Algie?
seaside3

Postby Boo439 » Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:29 am

I sure hope Taci finds a home! She's a real cutie, looks just like a pup!
Boo439

TACI

Postby seaside3 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:15 pm

An update f/ Taci's owner:

She has sores on her legs f/ sleeping on the concrete of the kennel (she has been there almost 2 months now). She didn't want to get out of the car yesterday to go back into the kennel.

The owner (Kathy) is quickly becoming very depressed, and is convinced that there's no hope. I can't imagine how hard it was for her to have to take Taci out of the car and put her back in that kennel run. I am trying to prove to her that miracles happen - especially around this time of year. If anyone out there, anywhere, can help, please, please contact me and let me know. She could use even a foster home at this point. She just needs to be the only dog, and unfortunately, I'm sure that's what's holding her back f/ finding a new placement...
seaside3

Postby BabyReba » Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:50 pm

I responded to your PM, Seaside. Algie would have contacted you guys if he was interested, so I'd have to guess that he's not. :sad:

Dog aggressive pit bulls can be tough to place, but I have to say that all pit bull rescue takes time--two months, sadly, is not long at all to have a pit bull waiting to find a good home around here.

This pup's best bet is if her people would keep her in their house separated completely from the other dog--it's a big pain in the neck, but that's how most of our foster homes have to do it to make fostering possible at all. In my house, I have to keep the fosters in our downstairs rec room, for example, while my dogs have run of the rest of the house upstairs. Have they at least tried giving that a shot? It sounds daunting, but it definitely can be done, and eventually, you and the dogs adjust.
BabyReba
Regulator

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs