An appeal for your stories.....pretty please???

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

An appeal for your stories.....pretty please???

Postby pack4kai » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:38 am

If I could beg a few more moments of your time…

So, I’ve been having a wonderful time emailing a bunch of people this evening regarding BSL and our breed’s general PR problem. You all have been very kind sharing your insights with us while we enjoy our first weeks with our new puppy. By the way, she peed in the middle of our bed tonight. I see someone else posted a similar problem; I’ll have to go re-read it. It’s really gross. When I toweled it off pee actually came squashing back up. No kids and no dogs allowed on my next mattress, I swear.

Ok, got distracted there for a minute.

I’m really intrigued by the public relations angle of our breed. As I’ve posted elsewhere here, my husband and I are interested in volunteering some of our professional time to work on this issue…we are in the brainstorming phase here, and have been receiving lots of offers of assistance. If you guys would be so kind as to share some of your stories and email (or snail mail) them to us over the next few days I think we will begin crafting some press releases. We’ll start locally because that’s where our contacts are. From what I’ve learned hanging out here on the boards there is a sizeable rescue operation underway as people are trying to save pit bulls affected by the ban in Canada. I’ve received a lot of emails tonight from folks in Canada and they are interested in sharing their stories with U.S. press. Here is my specific request:
1. If you owned a pit bull and had to give it up because of recently enacted BSL please send us your story. If you know of somebody who had to give up their dog because of BSL please contact them and ask them to tell us their story. Please type the story and either email it to me at: morgan.canterbury@cablespeed.com or send a request for my actual address.
2. If you rescued (either personally or with an organization) a pit bull given up because of BSL please tell us your story
3. If you have adopted a pit bull that was given up by a family living in an area with BSL please send us your story
4. If you have had to euthanize a pit bull who was given up because of BSL please send us your story

I know that everyone is busy so please don’t worry about whether your story is well written. When writing your stories focus on your emotions, how you believe this has effected your dogs, and how this has effected your (human) families. Feel free to discuss morality, ethics, etc. Be genuine.
What hubbie (lets call him Dom from now on) and I are interested in doing is putting together a list of potential media contacts. Even if you don’t want to be contacted by anybody in the media please write down your stories and send them to us. At the very least you should be writing down your stories for yourselves. Once our brainstorming is done and we have enough to start some press releases we will contact people who submitted their stories before we turn any names over to the press! Don’t worry, no surprises!

xtra thanks to the Canadian folks...everyone who already emailed me I really really could use your tale!

If you'd like to ask me any questions (like, 'who is this lunatic who has recently invaded our boards?') please feel free. PM me, or send me an email.

If I’m rambling and kind of incoherent here please have mercy. It’s been a long day, crazed toddler, dog pee on the mattress, glass of cheap wine on an empty stomach, etc.

Thanks,
Morgan
pack4kai

Postby Spurby » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:19 am

May i cross-post this?

And thanks for doing this!
Spurby
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby pack4kai » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:20 am

please do, and thank you guys for helping us out so much w/our pup.
m.
pack4kai

Postby pack4kai » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:29 am

do you know of an organization in the united states like Banned Aid? we were thinking along those same lines here after looking at everyone's email. If not, we're prepared to do something similar here. coalition building seems the best idea right now so we'll contact the Canadian site...are you a member? if so, do you know if they want to go international? go ahead and PM or email me plz...I can work on this about an hour every day untill Sat. and my husband can work on it if work is slow. Saturday I take some entrance tests for school. But after Sat. I'll have a lot more time...point being I'll be reading my email but it'll be hard to catch me on the phone
:tongue:
pack4kai

Postby Spurby » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:16 am

I am a member of the DLCC, there is a yahoo group message board where we discuss everything, i will post your information there. It would be great if you became a member as well, you can ask these questions there, if this is something you would be interested in, let me know. You don't have to be a canadian to join, and having media contacts in the states would be a good idea to have Ontario's proposed BSL heard and getting and creating larger support.
Spurby
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby pack4kai » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:07 pm

definately interested. send me info. when you've got a sec. please. monday (when tests are done) i'll go through my little contact list i'm compiling and start calling folks...always best to talk in person a bit too.... :))
pack4kai

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs