i need help from the experienced people here

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
porchcricket13
Super Bully

i need help from the experienced people here

Postby porchcricket13 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:57 pm

i'm not sure where to post this so if it's wrong please move it :)

i know a lot of people here do rescue work, i have a situation that i need advice on. There is a doctor at the hospital i work in that had adopted a pitbull that had been hung from a deck, she has persistant cervical fractures and is truly a special needs case...this happened at 4 months old...she is now about 13 months...

well, she hits her and kicks her, and grabs her by the neck and drags her across the floor...so badly that she cowers in fear and pees whenever she even raises her voice...because she knows she will get hurt. there was a time a few months ago where the dog went down...meaning she was unable to stand at all for at least 5 days...we suspect that the vet hurt her.

none of us know what to do...we have confronted her and her response is that it is her dog and she will discipline her however she wants...we have called the aspca and since we have no proof of the abuse they can't do anything.

i want to take her. i love this little girl like she is my own. i sat with her every night when she came in and did her range of motion, hand fed her, just held her because she deserved it...she does not deserve this...after everything that has happened to her she still loves everyone. all she wants is a family to love her. she gets along great with my 3 month old pit...

is there anything i can do for her? oh and by the way apparently she kicked my puppy yesterday as well. (i did not see it, if i did...well lets not even talk about how i would have handled that.)

please if anyone has any idea what we can do in this situation we really need help... :frown:

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:12 am

Maybe you could offer her info on NILF and appropriate training/discipline practices? I'm not really sure what you can do if there is no witnesses, as it becomes a he-said-she-said thing in the eyes of AC. If it were me, I would report her anyways, even for small infractions, or offer to buy the dog if I were really that attached to it. But I don't really think that solves the issue... Sorry I can't be more help :frown: what an awful situation.

I would probably alert clients. If I went there I would want to know if the vet was abusive to animals.

porchcricket13
Super Bully

Postby porchcricket13 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:12 am

she is not abusive to the clients animals, so we are lucky there...and don't ge tme wrong there are witnesses she is not shy about it by any means...but we have no video...and thats where we run into the problem...there is no bruising or broken bones...so there is no "proof".

Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby Kirstan » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:29 pm

Report her for animal abuse and do it quickly.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:09 pm

she adopted it or took the dog in.
In all my adoptions I have the right to go take a dog that is being abused ..people who adopt dogs from us, know this and are aware they are signing a paper giving us that right.

So..it the dog is adopted from a group, nicely ask who and where (like you want to adopt a dog or something) then call them and let them know what is going on.
If that were one of my dogs, especially an abuse case, doggy would be back in my house faster than you could post a reply here.

The person sounds like an idiot and that is sad to take in an abused animal and continue to abuse it.
That burns me more than I could emote here.

Be persisitant if the dog isnt really adopted but taken in, call local rescues and ASPCA or Animal Control and try to get someone to go talk to this educated idiot... (some get so educated they forget reality and turn into popmass know it alls.. )
Abuse is abuse and we have to stand for those who cant speak themselves and endure day after day of torture.

porchcricket13
Super Bully

Postby porchcricket13 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:18 pm

i guess technically she was taken in...she had been surrendered to the hospital because they could not afford to get her medical care. She has been reported a few times and they have not even investigated...it's all circumstantial evidence to them...but we do plan on continuing to try...i just know i can't walk up and take her away....which if it was possible i would do in a heartbeat...

innocence621
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby innocence621 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:34 pm

I don't have any advice on what to do about the dog, except try and get it from her.
I worked for a vet for 3 months that I saw kick a cat because he got loose, I quit the next day after confronting him about it. I would never work for a doctor (or anybody for that matter) that abuses animals.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:45 pm

porchcricket13 wrote:i guess technically she was taken in...she had been surrendered to the hospital because they could not afford to get her medical care. She has been reported a few times and they have not even investigated...it's all circumstantial evidence to them...but we do plan on continuing to try...i just know i can't walk up and take her away....which if it was possible i would do in a heartbeat...

So I assume when you say hospital and dr. this person is a vetinarian?
I would keep calling, there has to be a board of directors for licensing or something.. this really is sad!
good grief..

Is there another dr there you could talk to? Maybe try to do a nicer approach of intervention style or something.

?????????????

Or maybe ask if they really want the dog.. tell her you would be more than glad to take the dog in..

i dunno...sigh

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:36 pm

So, you or someone else has witnessed this behavior? Can you record it with a cell phone? Then you would have some proof. Keep complaining.

A vet abusing dogs is like a pediatrician abusing kids :yucky:

Honestly, even if the vet doesn't abuse clients animals I would never want to take my pet there. Maybe write an anonymous note to the local paper calling out the vet. In our local paper they have this totally stupid section called Sound Off where you can call and leave a completely anonymous message about anything. Granted it is totally slanderous, but it is just what you need! OK, I can understand why you might not want to do that, I am just feeling frustrated by your situation. :frown:

Lixx
Adolescent Bully

Postby Lixx » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:37 pm

If this is a Vet then report them to the Veterinary Medical Association they are registered with. THEY'LL investigate even if AC won't. Be sure to document everything. Date & time. All the time you spend sitting with & rehabing this dog.

porchcricket13
Super Bully

Postby porchcricket13 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:41 pm

thanks everyone i plan on talking to my immediate boss tomorrow, to see what she thinks...unfortunately i also have to think about the reputation of my hospital as well...which makes this difficult because i got into this career to help, not hurt these animals. it may sound crazy but i think Dee knows i'm trying to help her because all i got all day to day was sloppy kisses! you can't even imagine how much i love this little girl and how it kills me everyday to see her suffer. please keep her in your thoughts...maybe if we put enough loving energy out there we may be able to save her.

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:30 pm

Good luck. If your boss won't listen, I would quit and threaten to go to the media. And I would call the veterinary board as well. And then I would kick that stupid ***** and see how she likes it. :po:

Minders73
Matured Bully

Postby Minders73 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:37 pm

How sad. Is there anyway the pup could "get loose" and just disappear? I know it would not solve the problem but it would mean the world to the pup. Or will she let you buy the pup? Good luck and keep us posted.

JCleve86
Forum Junky

Postby JCleve86 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:44 pm

L Boogie wrote:Good luck. If your boss won't listen, I would quit and threaten to go to the media. And I would call the veterinary board as well. And then I would kick that stupid ***** and see how she likes it. :po:

Ditto on calling the veterinary board. I'm doubting they would be too thrilled to hear about something like this.

TANKtheTANKER
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby TANKtheTANKER » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:22 am

As far as proof goes, try if you can, to get your cell phone on record in your pocket (if it has recording capabilities) and try and get her (since you said she is VERY open about the abuse) to admit what she does. That will be your proof!

Such a sad situation, and a VET non the less..kinda makes you wonder how many more vets there are out there like that.

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”